1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey does the ALS Ice Bucket Challange

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Aug 21, 2014.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

was hoping to see man-boobs and wet t-shirt.

And shouldn't he be working on getting Rondo or Bledsoe here?!?

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Maybe cheerleaders or his daughter?

I would not want Les to do this. He might keel over from the shock of cold blanketing his body. Yao Ming would be awesome.

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

Doing the ice bucket challenge is the same as running your shower for about 4 seconds.

It's a metaphorical drop in a metaphorical bucket. It's also a literal drop in a literal bucket.

4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing I mentioned has anything to do with metaphors. Not sure what you're trying to say, but perhaps you should try reading my post again. You may find that we're both in agreement.

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

If by 'encouragement' you mean education for the fight against STDs, then absolutely. If we're talking population control, then I'm going to leave that alone.

6. astros123

astros123 Member

typical morey challenging beyonce..LMAO shooting for stars

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I'm filling a 5 gallon bucket now. Give it some time to ferment in the garage.

8. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I saw that video too. What's the actual percentage? He said 7 percent and I didn't really believe that.

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I felt like that, too. Then I realized at the same time last year, ALS had raised over $50 million LESS money for research (something like $3 million last year, $54 million this year or something).

The ice bucket challenge, while annoying at this point, is still doing an amazing job at raising awareness and getting those donations. Without the awareness, people wouldn't donate, and the longer this challenge is popular, the more money that will be raised for ALS research.

So, I have to ask you kindly: deal with the annoyance and fad of people dumping water on their head. It's raising money for a good, mostly ignored cause.

Edit: Exact numbers. $2.2M by this time last year. $53.3 million so far this year. Donate, feel good about yourself, but don't berate those doing the ice bucket challenge... because you wouldn't have donated if not for this viral phenomenon.

#49 Depressio, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Is this video sufficient? It's a woman, but that's not such a bad thing.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It seems ironic that a guy who will tie up and waste enormous resources as an entertainer is trying to shame us for wasting water. If he actually cares about helping the problems is Africa, he would have been much better served to try to attract attention to them, rather than make people want to tell him to f off.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

I like how he chose Beyonce, as if it was the only person he could think about at the time

13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

All these people be like ALS challenge is a waste of water. I be like I just flushed my toilet 9x and i didn't even go once...

Seriously though, ALS victims be like "I am going to slowly degenerate to the point that I can't use my arms, legs, hands, speech muscles, can't swallow or breath... I'm gonna have involuntary twitching in my hands and feet, lose the ability to taste, swallow, and be alive. Also I have trouble with my memory, thinking, and my personality has changed dramatically"

Get a grip haters, this "ice bucket challenge" is kind of lame in some ways and I understand the counterpoint, but it has raised a ton of awareness and money for one of the most underfunded diseases in the history of medicine.