1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

North Carolina Restaurant Offering a 15% "Praying In Public" Discount Has People All Pissed Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by i3artow i3aller, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually.. most faiths consider their lives a promotion of their beliefs.

ie Missionary work.
    I take it you don't think much of missionary work
    I don't either but just a consistancy check

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

20% Discount if people would wash their fricking hands!

Rocket River

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

30% if they leave their kids at home. ;)

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This reeks of yet another faux "scandal" where conservatives are outraged at liberals who are offended by this.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Heavy surcharge for Smokers and Drunks.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Never been there myself but I know a few people who have LIKED the place on FB; they are CF types, too!

https://www.facebook.com/MarysGourmetDiner

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I meant if there are people who are actually offended by this, they are few and far between.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why is this so controversial?
    ****, give me a 15% discount and I'll walk into the restaurant wearing robes and a fake beard like Jesus.

As long as they don't give you a 15% discount for standing up and disturbing everyone's meal with a mid-dinner preach session.
    What just bow my head, close my eyes, mumble a bunch of mumbo jumbo bull**** and get a discount? Sign me up.

Nothing to get outraged over, just take advantage of it.
    In fact, I don't think anyone is outraged. Someone is trying to needlessly stir the pot.

1 person likes this.
  9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

From their facebook page

Such a non-f***ing issue

10. Major

Major Member

Yup. It seems like people just needing to be judgmental for the sake of it.

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

And look at the publicity they're getting!

They're free to discount if they want to. As an atheist, I don't care. Just like as a liberal, I don't care that I heard a commercial on 790 about a place that sells gunsafes that gives 5% for card-carrying Republicans. I find it silly, but I'm not outraged by any means and it's rather silly to be.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a couple of questions for me, RR. First off, I disagree that "most faiths consider their lives a promotion of their beliefs." If you are talking about clergy, then of course that's true, but most of the religious folks I grew up with never attempted to "spread the faith." My late mother, truly a wonderful, giving, loving person, was a Methodist once she moved away from my Baptist grandmother to marry my father at the beginning of WWII. She was president of her Sunday school class for many, many years, participated in all the fund raising drives of her church in Southeast Houston, giving generously herself, besides giving generously of her time. She had a host of friends connected to her church. In all that time, I never, ever saw her attempt to convert someone. She felt that it was up to the individual to chose whatever path led them to their faith, or led them away from it. Sure, she dragged me to services and Sunday school when I was a kid, but by the time I was around 6 or 7, it was clear that I had no interest in religion myself, preferring to watch Early Bird Theater, with its classic films, on Sunday mornings with my father, who also had no interest in religion, beyond the academic. Anyone around here old enough to recall Early Bird Theater? Think Errol Flynn, John Wayne, WWII flicks... classic stuff. Dad and I loved it.

Missionary work? I have the greatest respect for those who take that on, as long as they are respectful of the people and religion that they are attempting to draw those people away from, and I don't think that's a contradiction. Unlike the door to door "missionaries" one sees from time to time in this country, those who go overseas and work in conditions that can be hazardous to their health and safety have guts. I respect their effort and their sincerity, unlike so many famous politicians here who talk a good game when it comes to religion, and then go to Vegas to gamble, hire "ladies of the evening," and other things conflicting with the religion they claim to believe in. In other words, hypocrites.

There's a tendency in this country to assume what people think about certain topics based on their political leanings. It's not one of the better qualities among Americans (and that's not intended as a shot at you!). :)-

#32 Deckard, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yep non-issue. I'm agnostic but uhh this is fine with me. As long as they don't charge people extra who DON'T pray then we can all coexist.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Man, I saw you trying this out last week. How did it go, btw?

[​IMG]

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I gave a group of teenagers $20 toward their meal once, after they removed their hats and prayed before they ate.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lmao at Deckard's rage in this thread

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They kicked me out because they thought I was homeless.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Great publicity...

1 person likes this.
  19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Do you get a discount if you build a Satanic altar and pray to it?

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Gotta turn the other cheek, homie. :grin: