1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When could Rockets be in Playoffs again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by typhooonn, Sep 17, 2012.

Tags:
?

When could Rockets be in Playoffs again?

1. We will be in playoffs in 2012-2013 season

29.9%
  2. NOT unitl 2013-2014 season

24.0%
  3. NOT until 2014-2015 season

19.5%
  4. NOT until 2015-2016 season

11.8%
  5. No idea

14.9%
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That is a really rosy prediction. I see the opposite happening. We didn't run many plays for Martin to score effectively last year. We used him as an iso and spot up player and he struggled badly. Playing with PPat and Asik in the starting lineup won't change that, they can't pass from the high post like Hayes, Battier, or even Scola did. Martin's role is up in the air. If we still had Lee, I wonder if he would even reclaim his starting spot.

We're going to be overburdening Lin. Novak isn't an explosive scorer like Martin, but he drew big men away from the basket which made Lin's PnR more effective. We don't have that strong PnR option here. Tyson Chandler has been a good at the PnR since New Orleans, Asik doesn't have that same bounce or finishing ability and has much worse hands. Pat's a good pick and pop option at best and only shot 44% last year.

I hope Lin and Parsons will be solid and I think they will. But unless one of our bigs exceeds expectations our offense should be a mess this year. We have three new starters and are asking a lot of guys to step up their game. That just doesn't happen very often.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

don't know what's gonna happen this year. too much we don't know about. but if you think novak draws more attention than martin (even on the perimeter) you're nuts. martin is a pretty lights out shooter when left wide open. the knicks were freaking terrible until lin busted a move. he made that team and changed the culture. tyson chandler is overrated. carmelo is a giant black hole. we will be better than the knicks were last year unless we get jack squat from our rookies. don't know if that's enough to make the playoffs, we'll have to wait and see.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Wasn't tyson Chandler the DPOY. How are you DPOY and overrated? Also Chandler was a big part towards the Mavericks championship run. I don't think he is overrated at all in fact I think he is underrated.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I didn't say Novak draws more attention than Martin, only that he can draw a big away from the basket. Ray Allen is a far better player than Mehmet Okur, but Okur was a bigger mismatch for us because he forced Yao out of his comfort zone on defense. Specifically, he forced Yao to guard Boozer which really hurt us. Talent is the first priority, but matchups matter too.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

novak is not a center and can't guard anyone on the perimeter or in the paint. who is he drawing out of the paint? now if the overrated ty-chandler had a threeball you might have a point :)

6. mirus

mirus Member

tyson chandler does a lot defensively,leads the team defensively,plus consider the other 2 frontcourt players werent some defensive stud.

7. rocketblood713

not this season i know that ...

8. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Draft services/sites do comparisons all the time. These are the DraftExpress comparisons for our rookies:

Jeremy Lamb
    Best Case: Kevin Martin
    Worst Case: Rashad McCants

Royce White
    Best Case: Boris Diaw
    Worst Case: James Johnson

Terrence Jones
    Best Case: Al Harrington
    Worst Case: Marvin Williams

D. Montiejunas

Best Case: Pau Gasol
    Worst Case: Yi Jianlian

Scott Machado

Best Case: Earl Watson
    Worst Case: Aaron Miles

These are the NBADraft.Net comparisons:

Jeremy Lamb: Reggie Miller (wow!)

Royce White: Anthony Mason/Boris Diaw

Terrence Jones: Marvin Williams

D. Montiejunas
    : Andreis Bargnani/Dirk Nowitzki

Scott Machado
    : Omar Cook

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

^ turrible comparisons ever.

10. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Pretty sure dalembart can afford a MacBook...

11. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

RACIST! Just b/c he's black...

It's obviously his brother Zamuel Dalembert.

1 person likes this.
  12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Count me in for 2015. What's coming up ain't Summer League, sports fans.