1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NY Times] Bad by Design, Rockets Gamble on Payoff Later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jul 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

hey NY! YOU MAD BRO?

2. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Hopefully Toronto beats out Atlanta for that last spot. Hawks are basically entering a tanking phase, what with trading JJ and hiring new management.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This picture will become ClutchFans famous this year:

[​IMG]

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

They took nothing close to 25 - 30 million less.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So do you hate the Rockets or what? We want the Raptors to be really bad so we can have a high lottery pick in 2013

6. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

At least its almost football season. Go Texans!

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why on earth did they complicate Miami's situation with sign-and-trades, then? If they didn't need the money and could just "make it up" with endorsements, wouldn't it have been easier just to sign with Miami, saving their new team both first-round draft picks and cap room? :confused:

If not about money, why did LeBron and Bosh play hardball for six-year deals worth over $110 million, when it would be much easier on everyone involved to take five years for double-digit millions? Ah, the mystery... :rolleyes:

#47 The Cat, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I know, so sigh. And the original quote was never about Houston having a problem, but rather someone else telling houston *they* have a problem.

So, the quote is better used by Knicks fans saying "Houston, WE have a problem." -- followed by the infamous Daryl pic at MSG.

1 person likes this.
  9. heypartner

You don't follow the Rockets too much do you?

1 person likes this.
  10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Just don't deal all those picks to get Dwight as a one year rental when he's told you not to do it.

I like the plan in one sense, it gives you the opportunity to build by signing stars with the cap space you'll have and if you can't sign those stars then you have a backup plan to rebuild through the draft and those stockpiled picks.

11. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

[​IMG]

12. deshen

deshen Member

If this is the team that Morey organized to play, then we are going to be lottery bound in the next 3 more seasons.

Morey has no networking that Ainge had, and wants to do something Celtics did?

13. FranchiseReDeux

Agreed - that person has poor reading comprehension

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

True.

15. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Exactly. I don't think Morey's following a "recipe." The situation could play out in a way similar to Boston, a he could do things in a similar way, but he's not working from a template. For instance, I'm sure he'd rather get Howard or Bynum here sooner and expedite the process. There are many possibilities. To think he's working from a template is silly and limiting.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't know...or care...if Morey's following a "recipe".

What I do know is Kevin Martin is not Paul Pearce.

What I feel is that very few teams evaluate talent in the same manner as HOU. And relatedly, why I have no faith in the management philosophy of " collecting assets".

What I suspect is that there is always someone willing to take slightly bigger risk than HOU.

What I find puzzling as how many Rocket's fans have difficulty with valid criticisms. The Rockets for the past 5 or 6 seasons have overacheived via hardwork and hustle. But those teams have at least had some established talent. "Established" and "talent" don't belong in the same sentence when describing the 2012-13 edition.

17. heypartner

your jaded.

and I don't understand. I don't understand this big disconnect between my favorite cfnet posters like GATER and me.

How did this happen?! I think I changed and not GATER...now I question myself...I'm the biggest Cuttino Mobley fan of all time...next to SmeggySmeg...so how did I get to the point of accepting Morey purging everything...(ie. Scola).

I get it GATER. I like to think you know me well enough to know I just want to win....I never want to tank. I want the kids to work for their minutes.

But you know what now? I don't know what I think. We've never been here before. And all I can say to my ex-season-ticketholder buddie is...

I don't think this is over. And if it is, then we have a player who's major inspiration is John Lennon.

can't beat that.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

“Last season, we won more than half our games with a roster of youth and experience,” he said. “I liked what we had, but we didn’t have enough.”

Maybe Morey's finally getting it. Fighting for the 8th seed every year is not gonna cut it unless Rockets management is content with drawing 9,000 fans to every game and eeking into the playoffs once every 4 or 5 seasons(and quickly being eliminated).

Better to blow up the roster, start over completely, and do what just about every title contender out there not named the Lakers has done. And that is build through high lottery picks.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

nevermind...lol

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

So what if it looks similar.

We have next season to determine the future direction and I believe there are a few possibilities.

I am a fan of building a dynasty, not a flash in the night.