1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Power Rankings] Rockets ranked 28th......what a joke.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I can't say I disagree with the ranking.

We would need at least two of the rookies to be first or second all rookie team to edge into the top 25. This also assumes Lin will be close to what he was for the Linsanity 25 games last year.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

* You're guarantee that Lin is better than both Lowry and Dragic is? Starting 26 games as Knick in a stretch where the competition was primarly weaker EC teams? Or perhaps a tea-leaf reading?

* Martin isn't a Top 10 NBA SG when he's healthy. Let alone IF he's healthy. He's slightly better than Ray Allen who hasn't been Top 10 in years.

* Parsons...even at full upside...is a role player on a WC playoff team. If you evaluate him higher than that based upon one season on a Lottery team...I'll stop there.

* Asik on a good day isn't any better than Mutombo. Who (as a Rocket) needed proven players around him.

But you've got one thing accurate.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

Rockets are actually overrated, again.

Look at that roster, Rockets should be dead last in NBA and we should compete for that worst record ever.

4. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

High ceilings is not every player drafted. All three of these players would of been drafted in the top 10 of last years draft. This is a deep draft and the players selected were selected based on upside and not need. The exact reason we did not select Zeller or Myers who have size but will become mediocre players. I don't expect them to be a powerhouse team this year, but a team that will probably win about 40 games.

The difference is that they will develop this year and be in a position to be a perennial playoff team afterwards. Ranking of 28 out of 30 is ridiculous. Because your team is the youngest doesn't mean that your at the bottom.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Damm you Bobcats!!!!

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

They're not bad.....and power rankings change all the time.

the Rox can move up that chart once the season starts.

Meantime...it's accurate, but that doesnt mean it's gonna stay like that all season.

It's all good, man.

Relax.

As constructed now, they are rebuilding but I think the rooks are gonna surprise alotta people.

If they dont...even better....better chance at #1 in next years draft.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

quoted for posterity. i mean... wow.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

East coast and big city bias. Outside of Melo and Novak, there are no other scoring threats in the Knicks team. They are a defensive oriented team.

To rate Bulls so low on that list is totally biased. Bulls without Rose are still a very dangerous team. When Rose came back from an injury last season, Thib benched him in a close game of the final minutes. Even without Rose for 3/4 of the season, they will do better than Knicks and Nets.

I think the dark hourse this year is Denver. I would place them behind OKC, LAL and a close 4th behind Spurs. The young core of Lawson, Faried, McGee will be beasting this year. They are the next OKC. Watch them!

Houston will do better than expected. I expect them to win more close games than losses. Parsons and Lin are high in the 'clutch' list. I dont want people thinking I am homer but If you look at the Lin's past, the teams he played always had surprised showing.

Palo Alto High was heavily underdog and won against nationlly rank Mate Dei in a state title game and Lin was the captain. Harvard had the best school record when Lin was on the team and even beat some nationally ranked teams. Knicks has a bunch of scrubs (with the same Toney Douglas as a starter) and went on a long winning streak. Waiver Steve Novak would probably be working at a Milwaukee Sporting Store by now if it werent for Lin. Instead he led the league in 3P FG% last season. Dont be surprised if Rockets have a 35+ win season. And yes, even with a bunch or rookies.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Everyone here thinking we're a dark horse team. LOL.
    Stop the homerism. We suck and that's a good thing. Draft baby!

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Well, thinking that we will replace our summer league team with Lin,Asik, martin and pat2.

Reality check people. This team is going to be fun to watch, but it will be painful most of the time.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're funny.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You're actually right. There is a chance to somehow land an all-star through the draft. Hey, Danny Granger was an all-star... once. Roy Hibbert just made an all-star team this past year.

Problem with that is they aren't superstars. Which is what we've been after the past few years. They're guys that you can put peices around to make the team playoff bound, but far from being contenders. Nothing close to being franchise cornerstones, just a couple building blocks.

There is a very small possibility that you find your franchise player in the mid-low 1st round ala Rajon Rondo... but that's certainly a one in a million chance.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Actually...given the surprisingly (and never mentioned) pitiful state of SGs today, Martin may be top 10. #4 in scoring among 2s in 2010-2011, and would have been #4 last year had he not missed so many games. Even if you penalize him for his defense, it's iffy to drop him completely out of the top 10. I'd have a hard time naming 8 guys at the position better than him.

As unpopular as he's become, Martin is still an upper tier scorer.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

How the heck are the Rockets above the Pistons? The Pistons have Prince, Stuckey, Monroe, and a bunch of decent other players. It's a WAY superior team.

15. thekad

thekad Member

I wish we were the third worst team in the NBA. But something tells me we won't tank and will end up in the late lottery again.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess you missed his antics against JJ Barea haven't you?

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Vegas...you know the ppl who could actually lose something over this...puts the Rockets as 30 to 1 odd for nba champs

That's the same as Dallas and Memphis

thats a three way tie for the 9th best team.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. Anyway who the hell wrote this article in the first place, I honestly don't care.

Personally I think the Blazers are gonna tear up the league the way the Nuggs did in the Post-Melo era, and by the same token I think we're gonna surprise people and be a lot more competitive, i think even without the DH trade we're gonna be battling the Spurs for first in the division.

A lot of people don't seem to realize, but we were number 5 in the league early in the season, before Kmart/Lowry got injured, Scola faded and Dalembert lost all focus and became a space cadet.

I think Asik is a major upgrade, and I thinK D-Mo is comparable to 2012 Scola right out of the gate. Combine that with Mchale and Parsons being in their 2nd years and we're gonna be better than last year at minimum.

19. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

This thing is waaaayyyyyyy off. There are exactly 8 teams in the west that will be better than us. #14, here we come baby!!!

20. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

You guys have no idea what is happening.

This is currently a coachs dream situation.

All the players are young, under contract for the next three to four years and extremely talented. Kevin Martin will probably be flipped at the trading deadline for future picks. The Rockets have currently multiples of future 1st round picks.

Royce White, Jeremy Lin, and Scott Machado are supremely talented at passing the ball around and running an offense. D-Mo, Jeremy Lin, and Jeremy Lamb are skilled scorers. Parsons is a great one on one defender and can create problems for other teams top scorers. We have a good rim protector in Asik. By the way, we have a 2nd 7 footer in D-Mo. Terrence Jones is already showing his versatility as a rebounder, scorer and defender.

How can you not be excited about this team? This group of players if not traded away can become scary good. This is the situation you want to be in. You have the players in place to contend for the title in 2-3 years.