1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Why I'm now leaving MSNBC"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

There is a problem! There is a problem!

How do we solve the problem???

I don't know.... did you hear me??? THERE IS A PROBLEM!

This is nothing new in America...... we have been down this path a few times in the past.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I fortunately didn't escape my right wing bubble still to this day. You should see my Facebook news feed and most of my peers shares of memes and articles. I remember when I was in how openly saying you support Obama would result in being harrased. Ya I was deeply entrenched in a right wing bubble.

Also do you find a cute irrelevant angles to attack me with then Google it to find a title to an article that you think will enlighten me?

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Excellent piece.

I do wonder how, in our current situation, one side could reach out to another in order to pierce their echo chamber. It seems like a daunting task, but then again, maybe, start small? Focus on one or two people, maybe a group, that don't hold the same beliefs as you and work on attempting to gain their trust? As they say, it's a lot of work and very fragile, but it probably is the only answer. Looking at Congress and the Presidency, maybe each of the parties should reach out to each other and have more networking events or intermingle a bit more.

Unfortunately, the leaders on both sides then demonize those people for having the audacity to reach beyond their party and then those people are challenged and often lose to people that are even more extreme. Ranked voting would help here, allow for more parties and allow for things to be more than just black-and-white choices and force different groups to work with each other. But, would that only further segment our society and further push people into their own echo chambers?

In any case...I wish they taught philosophy in high school as I believe it would help open up more minds to different thought processes...which is probably why it isn't something taught in high school. Sigh...

B@ffled and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. fchowd0311

Since time is a constraint, what do you think should be courses that should be removed to replace it with philosophy and at what grade level?I never get the conspiracies that our public school educators don't want students to "open up their minds". What does that mean? Seems rather platatudic to me.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

???

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

I assumed it was an attack on me suggesting I'm trapped in an ideolgical bubble mainly because the original article you used to create this thread has nothing to do with if ideolgical news bubbles but rather journalism being motivated by maximizing profits.

So when you typed "relevant article", I assume the relevance had to do with your perception of me being in an ideolgical bubble because again, the article you linked me has little to do with the subject matter at hand.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you would think it was an attack on you. I posted that for @RayRay10 who is routinely thoughtful and generally appreciative of articles I pass along. ;)

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Well im a different human with different thoughts. I have my explanation of why I thought that and I'll just copy and paste it again.

So when you typed "relevant article" as a reply to my comment about how this is an inevitable consequence of the free market and journalism combining, I assume the relevance had to do with your perception of me being in an ideolgical bubble because again, the article you linked me has little to do with the subject matter at hand I was discussing.

Do you even read your own articles. The article you linked to me has nothing to do with the original article of this thread which is about how journalists and editors are influenced by viewership rather than quality of content.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just like ESPN and Fox Sports

@Reeko

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.