1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I think Biden’s peak may have been hit. It doesn’t seem like he’s gaining any on his lead in the polls (he doesn’t seem to really be losing any either). Then again, I’m not sure he can gain much more at this point.

As far as the poll, I mean, it’s from the Democracy Institute, which is basically an off-shoot of the CATO Institute (which the Koch’s formed). It’s also being published by a right-wing UK tabloid paper. I’m sure it made Mr Trump very happy when he saw it...which was probably its purpose.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weekend at Bernie's vs. Weekend at the Revived, Angry and Racist Zombie Bernie's

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hint... there is nothing in the Constitution that would allow trump to do this...

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Hint...there is no such authority...

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

trump's latest on mail-in voting... encouraging everyone to request applications for mail-in voting...

No Worries, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

KingCheetah, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What makes you think I am asking for ideological consistency?

You are the one banking on an ideological consistency of people going to Trump because of the ideology of warmongers and rallying around the president in times of war.

You also keep missing the point that Trump cannot win with only his die-hard supporters and that Trump's victory was by a razor-thin margin.

Anyway, you seem to base your arguments for Trump winning on every best-case scenario for him but ignore everything else that data and metrics are currently showing.

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did Althouse just miss that Biden was in all of the Democratic debates?

Why would Biden's people think debating Trump will sink his election, we are talking about Trump here.

This shows that she is not approaching this as a serious question, especially considering there is not really a question of Biden debating Trump in the 1st place.

How do you assign that question to the Democratic party when there is no evidence they are asking anybody to do this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pushing the election back and awarding the presidency to Nancy Pelosi seems like a dumb move by Trump. He should atleast give himself a chance in the election.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  11. edwardc

edwardc Member

45's new slogan
    [​IMG]

Rashmon, Reeko, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You were making the argument that people wouldn't rally to Trump in the event of a military conflict because he had been campaigning as being against war. I was just pointing out that many of Trump supporters were supporters of the Iraq invasion so they are not ideologically consistent to begin with. Given the natural rally around the flag (wag the dog) phenomena there is definitely the possibility that a sudden military confrontation with the PRC, a country that is already a boogeyman to much of the US, will see a benefit to the Trump.

I've certainly considered the other metrics and have stated I'm leaning more towards that Trump will be defeated. At the same time though we should consider the factors and possibility that Trump wins and complacency is dangerous. That just seems sensible to me and it mystifies why some are so dead set against the possibility.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You keep saying this and have yet to identify anybody that is doing it.

I am considering all factors, you keep bringing stuff up that might get Trump elected, we should also consider that ascribing Trump magical powers will depress people to think that voting doesn't matter and he will win anyway.

Who is dead set against the possibility of Trump winning, can you name names or point out examples?

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering you're claiming I'm arguing for Trump having "magical powers" it sounds like you are one.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sounds like?

So you have no actual examples but want to claim that's what I am doing.

Seems legit.

Yes Trump can still win but its gonna be voter suppression more so than him garnering more support, he actually won with less support than Romney and the fact that Black voters came out in lower numbers than the previous 3 elections.

Anyway, I think this needs to come to a close, I am not trying to attack you I just get frustrated with all of these scenarios where Trump will magically swing voters.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's such a hypocrite. Now he needs to give Texas the OK so our butt kissers in charge can give us the option without worrying about going against their boss. Only then do we stand a chance.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Haha noooooooo **URGENT MESSAGE** If you love T-Rump, do NOT vote by mail before Nov. 3. **REPEAT** If you love Trump, DO NOT VOTE EARLY** Thank you.

18. NewRoxFan

FL mail-in voting GOOD, NV mail-in voting BAD...

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Mainstream Media Polls: Yet More Gaslighting?":

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2020-8-4-mainstream-media-polls-yet-more-gaslighting

excerpt:

In contrast to an abundance of polling, opinions, and news articles, the evidence I have to suggest Trump might win re-election is anecdotal and intangible: it relies on my view that the media have run such a successful campaign of shame that they might have silenced disagreement. Trump is an idiot. Trump is deplorable. Trump is unfit for office. Only uneducated losers would vote for him at this point. “Meet the Supporters Trump Has Lost,” reads a July 1, 2020, NYT headline, which contains quotes from prior-Trump voters calling him an appalling human being. From supposedly “staunch Republican” Judith Goines: “I’m ashamed to say that I’ve voted for him.”

Ashamed. In a Politico article, headlined “Trump Has a Point about the Polls,” GOP Pollster Glenn Bolger notes that one of the issues he’s having this time around is “persuad[ing] potential Trump voters to respond and answer truthfully to phone calls”. This is known as the Bradley effect, a theory which accounts for discrepancies in polling and voting results by suggesting voters lie about their true preferences when they fear social stigma.
    more at the link

Corrosion and RayRay10 like this.