1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The press secretary...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 20, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Don’t forget to get your Kung Flu shots next year in 2015

[​IMG]

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I largely agree with you except on one thing. I don't care about Trump or whether he goes to jail. I care about our democracy and keeping it intact and strong. I don't think Trump has to be held accountable because the failure wasn't on Trump and his abuse of power, it was on the checks and balances meant to prevent a president for taking too much power. I am not saying Trump is innocent or did not break the law. I am saying that the stalwart of our system is suppose to be that such a man shouldn't be able to break our democracy, and he is coming very close - way too close to doing so - and that shows that our system is far more fragile than we thought.

To fix that, there must be a price to pay for all those who allowed him to take these actions. By punishing them, it is a warning to future enablers. The only way to strengthen our system to to ensure the checks on executive power work. And they failed in the last four years - and to me, that's far more alarming than anything Trump did as an individual.

deb4rockets, VooDooPope and RayRay10 like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I care about our democracy and keeping it intact and strong, too. I also agree that our system of checks and balances needs to be strengthened so that any president can’t ignore or circumvent them and try to rewrite the rules of the presidency to suit his or her wants. Trump has shown that we can’t just expect somebody to play by the rules. I just simply believe we can punish Trump for his corruption and criminal activity while also sending a strong message that if you enable a corrupt presidency, you are going to be severely punished, too. It doesn’t have to be one or the other, in my opinion.

deb4rockets, Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related:

https://200proofliberals.blogspot.com/2020/07/three-concepts-of-democracy.html

excerpt:

. . . the basic ways of philosophizing/theorizing/thinking about democracy fall into three major categories:

1. The Ghost of Plato: Democracy stultifies and corrupts us. It exacerbates our biases and our worst behaviors. Here I include not only Plato and others historically concerned about mob rule, but also the recent empirical work on voter ignorance and irrationality, the new epistocratic critiques, and empirical work on democratic realism and the ideological innocence of voters

2. The Spirit of Equality: Democracy is fundamentally a mechanism by which we realize an ideal of equality. It makes us all equals and allows us to see each other eye-to-eye. Here I include Rousseau and de Tocqueville, Dewey, contemporary neorepublicans, the deliberative democrats.

3. The Shadow of the Market: Democracy is a form of trade and exchange by other means. Democracy enables people to get what they want and lead their live as they choose. But just as markets can fail, so the democratic market can fail. Here I include many of the early American and British pro-democracy thinkers, the authors of the Federalists Papers, the public choice tradition, and your sixth grade civics teacher.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not only that, the Republican senate is advocating $200/week, less than what the Democrats propose.

Like clockwork, the spin is starting

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

It's called "not having a soul"...based on everything we know about her...she definitely doesn't have one.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's a game to her just like O's/Baffled, Trader, and general, they want to see how outlandish a statement they can make in defense of the ****ery that they know is happening.

Can she please stop reading from the folder?

It shows how inept she really is

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Y’allGet off my girlfriend gawdemit !

12. NewRoxFan

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everything they do is the best in their eyes. The world watches in horror as America sets the example of what not to do to prevent the spread.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

So... the plan they don't have will cost more money than the last time she lied about it...

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

16. PeppermintCandy

Not that anyone has the time to deal with such BS anymore, but is the WH press secretary allowed to actively campaign and be blatantly partisan?

jiggyfly, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought spin required artful dodges. These are bold faced lazy lies

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Since when is Hunter trying to serve the American people?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Ah, back in the day when the press sexytary said she would never lie to the American people... "efforting outreach", oh my gosh...

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.