1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$40 Smartwatch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Aug 3, 2020.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

For Android users that needed a nudge to get a smartwatch and held off simply for the price, you can get one here for $40 (launched almost one year ago at 199 then went to 279). Not sure if they're going out of business or not, but at this price, it makes no sense to not get one. RAM is smaller and a newer chipset was recently announced, so maybe that's the reason for the price. I dunno.

https://www.misfit.com/smartwatches/misfit-vapor-x/

Learned about it here: https://www.droid-life.com/2020/08/...-vapor-x-is-somehow-just-14-99-today-245-off/

Edit: It's likely in the wrong forum, mods. Just wanted to put here for visibility since this is kind of a no-brainer deal.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI : I don't know about their financial survivability, but they were bought by Fossil a few years ago. I believe John Sculley (former Apple CEO) helped start the company.

conquistador#11 and OmegaSupreme like this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

Thanks. Didn't look into it much because of the insane price that moved it into impulse buy territory. I go outside just once a week to drive, so don't have anywhere to wear it and not I'm not keen on watches, but got one anyway in case they change the price back.

Being that Fossil bought them, maybe updates will continue. Thanks for the heads-up.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I don't know. Fossil's been struggling for years, so who knows.

Yeah, if you just want a watch, I guess it's ok. If Fossil or it goes down the tubes, you're only out $40, I guess. I don't know anything about it, tbh. I bought a Samsung and honestly don't use it like I should. About the only things I find it useful for are "hey, I got a new text", "what time is it?", and "wonder what the temperature is?" The "steps" feature seems inaccurate to say the least. In other words, it really hasn't been worth the money I spent on it. lol.

Although I'm not a horologist or anything and am not a collector, I've always found old school watches way more fashionable and "cool" than any of the smart watches. Smart watches are great for info, and like I said, they really don't seem to add much functionality or that much convenience over a phone (for me, anyway).

CCity Zero and jiggyfly like this.
  5. OmegaSupreme

You pretty much described my thoughts about smartwatches or just watches in general. There's really not a need. I'll just whip out my phone if I need the time. What happens though, is I take out my phone and look at the time, then I'll look at reddit, twitter, cf dot net, then send a couple of texts.

Maybe it'll cut down my phone usage. That wouldn't be a bad deal for a few bags of coffee.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Asian Sensation

A watch in 2020? A watch in this 2020 Corona world??

Jontro likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

A traditional watch adds a layer of sophistication if accessorised correctly. It has also saved me a few times on leaving on time or sooner at events or gatherings, where it would be rude just to whip out your phone and check the time. A quick tilt of the wrist and side glance of your eyeballs lets you know, "Hey its time to get the hell out of here".

I was tempted by this deal, but ultimately wont get it. A deal is a deal, unless its gonna sit in my watch collection box and never ever be used.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. OmegaSupreme

I agree with both quotes. It'll definitely spend more time on my dresser due to the pandemic, but it'll be ready for the few times that I go out and when the pandemic is over. Android Wear isn't Android in the sense that spec upgrades don't mean as much. So this watch and it's capabilities still won't be too far off of what's offered less than a year from now.

Lack of usage now yeah, but 20 bucks is 20 bucks 250 dollars off is 250 dollars off. Will wait to be able to use it. ;)

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good **** I am ordering 2

This $19

https://www.misfit.com/products/mis...pper-tone-with-black-sport-strap/MIS5019.html

Edit I ordered 3 2 commands and 1 vapor x and a watch Band.

I love watches.

And shoes :oops:

#9 jiggyfly, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    OmegaSupreme likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ya'll are doing it wrong watches are men's jewelry and the right watch is an attention-getter.

Women love a nice watch.

CCity Zero and OmegaSupreme like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm ... 'not allowed to buy anymore watches...'

CCity Zero and jiggyfly like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Bought one for my younger daughter's birthday. Unfortunately the lavender/champagne combo was already sold out so got the white/rose gold combo. Thanks to the OP for posting.!

13. donkeypunch

Some of the reviews are brutal.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If you aggregate the reviews it appears that you would be lucky if the watch you received didn't have serious issues.

15. donkeypunch

Yup seems like a coin flip and the bad ones are really bad and the good ones are probably the newer ones that haven't run into the problems yet

16. OmegaSupreme

All gone except for the hybrids.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

We've gone into space and we have watches this year. And people say they have no evidence we can go backwards in time. We dawg gone done it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Aw, wish I hadn't missed this, would have bought three to wear like Swatches back in the 1980's.

jiggyfly likes this.