1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: How long do you keep your smart phones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 27, 2020.

?

How long do you keep your phone before getting a new one?

1. < 2 years: Bleeding edge, need the newest and greatest

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. 2 - 5 years. Phone still hold up, but certain reasons (os support, battery swell...etc)

56 vote(s)
    74.7%
  3. 5 - 10 years.

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. > 10 years. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. n/a - No mobile. Landline only or off the grid.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

A blow from pressurized air could fix that. There is probably lint in the port that's impeding the charger cord. If air doesn't work, a careful cleaning with toothpick could work too.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try it.

jchu14 likes this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

5 to 7 months. Usually goes trade-in+pre-order Google Pixel in October (arrives November), then trade-in+pre-order Samsung Galaxy S series in February (arrives in March). If a specialty smartphone like Essential (rip) or some other is released I'll get it instead of the Galaxy. Half considering the new iPhone in the fall since they've started letting you use different default apps now, but they didn't go far enough by letting you use Google Maps as a default... so I'm not sure.

It's just a hobby that makes no sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I usually upgrade every 2 years on Black Friday. I always get an awesome deal on a Samsung Galaxy everytime where I've paid at maximum $500 (after trading in my phone) for each me and my wife.

Currently using the Samsung S9 I bought through Samsung on Black Friday 2018 and I have zero "real" issue with it. I'll see again when we get closer to the holidays, but right now I'm leaning toward not upgrading since I'm still overall happy with the phone. I especially dislike the fact the new Samsung S20 currently doesn't have an expanded memory slot

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

I don't buy new anymore. Waste of money. Just got a Pixel 3 for $270 and it works great.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Our phones have more power and utility than my first laptop. Cray cray.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to get a new one like... every 9 months. Like a BABY. But over the past 5 years or so... not much changes between iterations. I just need my phone to be snappy. That's about it. I wont swap from my S8 until it breaks or the battery starts giving me issues.

I used to think - I use my phone all of the time. Might as well get the newest tech. Now I'd rather focus on using my cell phone as little as possible.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm still on 8. Usually go 5 years. Augmented reality is a possible game changer if it has purpose.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

From when I started using Samsung Galaxy phones: I had the S3, S5, S8, and now S20+ . So I skip a couple years.

10. SemisolidSnake

I've had my Note 8 since not long after its release a few years ago. See no reason to upgrade. It does have a slightly cracked screen but that's neither its fault, nor mine, and it still works perfectly fine.

Smartphones have hit the point where they're pretty much all good, and nothing is bleeding edge or interesting anymore. Which is great for consumers. If you personally need a new phone, get the latest one that suits you or even go a generation back, and you're fine. Over the past couple years, I've bought unlocked previous-gen Galaxy S phones for my ex, parents, and sister, and it's more than enough phone for all of them for years to come. And buying unlocked allows vastly more flexibility in selecting plans with no contract.

I've recently been binging a lot of Linus Tech Tips, the internet's number one tech Youtube channel. If there's ever a place that experiments with bleeding edge tech, even often just for kicks, it's there. And Linus frequently mentions that he still daily drives a Note 9, because it does the job for him, and nothing has come down the pipeline to make him want to change. In fact, they rarely cover phones on the channel anymore, because paraphrasing his words, "phones bore him right now." Again, hard to go wrong as a consumer. You don't even need to buy flagship phones at this point; midrange and budget offerings do now well what flagships did just a few years ago. Buy what works for your needs in your budget, and you're good to go in this day and age.

TimDuncanDonaut and jiggyfly like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This V60 is awesome but I forgot what a pain it is getting everything set up and info transferred after 4 years -- much easier than it used to be but lots of little things off and needing tweaks.

TimDuncanDonaut and donkeypunch like this.
  12. donkeypunch

Big reason why I hate switching phones.

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Got my first cell phone around 2004. Had it around 4 years then got another one (still a flip-phone) with a better camera 2008-ish. Then had that for 8-ish years and got an iPhone 7, my first smartphone, in Sept 2016. I got the 256GB one so I wouldn't have to worry about storage as I planned to keep it as long as possible; still happy with that decision.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to get a little more RAM and power to make it snappier, but I have enough paid apps in the Apple ecosystem that I don't want to switch to Android, and I don't want to do an upgrade until they switch to USB-C, ideally. Meaning I'd probably upgrade in late 2021 at the earliest.

So long story short, that puts my average at around 6-ish years between upgrades.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I spend $200 or less on phones, but switch out every year.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Amazing how fast cell phones progressed where you can keep one for years already and not be completely antiquated. I think around 2013/14 the phones started getting really good -- my old Galaxy S2 looks really old and cheap now.

16. donkeypunch

I went from a galaxy 1, 2, skipped 3, got 4, skipped 5, 6, and got 7. Then I switched over to Motorola- got the 6 now on the 8+. A little peeved that the 6 didnt last very long, before it went to ****.

#36 donkeypunch, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Once every two years. I got an xr 18 months ago and probably will for another 18 months unless i find a great deal or it breaks. It's been solid enough for me not to care about the hacks i did on Android and the processor is still holding it's own

My 2014 ipad air is showing it's age and can't run new games or browse fast. It's not a phone but it tells you what the basement is for apps

Android phones break down quicker hardware wise. Samsung's and lgs usually start up slow or reboot out of nowhere after year 2.

I think the market is more about looking current rather than needing the best or fastest. But it's not as noticeable with phone cases and people don't care with covid...

The other big factor is that Apple has been pulling out best in class chips in the last three-five years likely in an effort to subsidize desktop chip development.

Once that stabilizes with non-intel MacBooks, keep an eye out on future iPhone chips and their relative value compared to Android.

I'm not sure what that does to ipad pros but this flexibility allows them to customize and calibrate the best amount of gouging for their three product lines.

I'm not looking forward to the new MacBooks but i don't run bootcamp or many games so I'm not totally against the idea either.

This is making me wonder the yearly performance of ARM chips, how that compares with Intel/Amd and how that relates to moores law

#37 Invisible Fan, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Pretty much as long as it continues to perform basic functions with the battery lasting at least one fully day. I barely use it.

TimDuncanDonaut and Andre0087 like this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Was still having the charging issue and the cracked screen on the note 8 so I inquired on the note 20. Ended up paying 100 for an insurance claim and recieved a replacement Note 8 today. It still feels like an upgrade. No new contract.

20. dmoneybangbang

Iphone... so it works very well for about 3 years before they start slowing it down. ;)