1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Nay. He took it to avoid covid19 in 2008.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen if just anybody refused to wear a mask on an airplane?

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ohhhh That Guy at it again.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

I knew Kenyan sleeper agents were cooking up somethin nasty but who knew it was biowarfare?

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Thats a badge of honor for POS people like him. Bet the MAGA crowd is all proud of this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So hey, lets open up and sentence kids to schools...

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Amiga

Supporting Member

sounds like they are about to start censoring and manipulating data

if this is the case, most American aren't going to buy it, but his cult followers will very likely worship it

RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So we have a reality tv star as president and a movie star as director of the CDC? No wonder everything is so screwed up. :confused:

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2020/07/fight-the-virus-2.html

Fight the Virus! Please.
    by Alex Tabarrok July 11, 2020 at 7:25 am

One of the most confounding aspects of the pandemic has been Congress’s unwillingness or inability to spend to fight the virus. As I said in the LA Times:

Economists Steven Berry and Zack Cooper have run the numbers:

Berry and Copper point to the vaccine plan that I am working on as an example of smart spending:

What makes this all the more confounding is that spending to defeat the virus will more than pay for itself! As I said in my piece in the Washington Post (with Puja Ahluwalia Ohlhaver):

Who gains by killing the economy and letting people die? Yes, it’s possible to spin some elaborate conspiracy about someone, somewhere benefiting. But in talking with people in Congress the message I hear is not that there’s a secret cabal with a special interest in economic collapse and dying constituents. In a way, the message is worse. Multiple people have told me that things move slowly, no one is stepping up to the plate, leadership is absent. “Who is John Galt?,” they sigh. Ok, they don’t literally say that, but that sigh of resignation is what it feels like in the United States today at the highest levels of government.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Really is the most baffling aspect of this whole thing...just no one at the federal government doing what it takes. It would almost be better if there was a secret org holding things back...at least that would be something.

Just no leadership among those that are supposed to be leading us.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot has been made about the Warp Speed program in the US to create a vaccine but the PRC might be in the lead with 8 out of the 17 vaccines being developed. They have approved moving one of the vaccines to human trials using their own military.

Serious question. If the PRC does develop a vaccine how many will have reservations of trying it?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/china-coronavirus-military-vaccine-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Beijing approves experimental Covid-19 vaccine for use in Chinese military
    By Ben Westcott, CNN

Updated 9:54 AM ET, Tue June 30, 2020

Hong Kong (CNN)The Chinese government has approved the use of an experimental Covid-19 vaccine for the country's military -- the latest step in a global race to stop the deadly disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

The vaccine, known as Ad5-nCoV, was jointly-developed by the Beijing Institute of Biotechnology -- part of the Chinese government's Academy of Military Medical Sciences -- and vaccine company CanSino Biologics.

In a statement to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on Monday, CanSino announced that China's Central Military Commission had given the vaccine a "military specially-needed drug approval" on June 25. The special permission will last for one year and will only apply to military personnel.
    China has repeatedly insisted that its military has remained unaffected by the pandemic, with officials claiming that the People's Liberation Army (PLA), has not recorded a single coronavirus case.

US observers, however, have cast doubt on the claims, noting that the PLA is the among the world's largest standing armies, making it statistically unlikely that its personnel have not been exposed to the virus.

Neither the Chinese government nor CanSino have said how broadly the vaccine will be distributed, which units were be selected or whether it will be mandatory or voluntary for personnel.
    CNN has reached out for CanSino for comment on the announcement.
    According to a CanSino statement, clinical trials of the new vaccine have shown a "good safety profile" with initial results indicating that Ad5-nCoV had potential to prevent diseases caused by SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus strain that causes Covid-19.
    CanSino had previously announced in May that the Canadian government was allowing human trials of the Ad5-nCoV vaccine. "This vaccine candidate holds great promise," Iain Stewart, president of the National Research Council of Canada, said in a statement at the time.

China is just one of several countries rushing to produce a vaccine for the novel coronavirus, which has now infected more than 10.3 million people worldwide and killed at least 505,000.
    There is no clear picture of when a vaccine might be available, or even if one is possible, but top US infectious diseases expert Dr. Anthony Fauci has said there are hopes for a drug by the end of 2020. No vaccine has been approved yet for commercial release.
    Currently, at least 17 vaccines are in clinical evaluation around the world, according to the World Health Organization, eight of which are being developed in China.
    According to the statement from CanSino, the first and second phases of their Ad5-nCoV vaccine trials have already been completed.

Previous results of Ad5-nCoV trials, published in medical journal the Lancet, were met with a lukewarm response by experts. According to the study, almost half of Ad5-nCoV vaccine recipients reported fever, with 44% describing fatigue and 39% reporting a headache. Overall, 9% of patients described side effects that were severe enough to have potentially "prevented activity."
    Speaking to Chinese state-run tabloid Global Times, Li Daguang, a professor at the National Defense University of the People's Liberation Army, said the authorities had followed "normal procedures" to approve the drug for military use and that its special status would change future development or marketing.

malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Amiga

Supporting Member

When a poor country does way better... with much less resources. Leadership matters.

"No country is out of the woods yet," he says. However, he adds that Rwanda is an example to other low-income countries that even with limited resources, this virus can be contained. "So what needs to be done is to follow the (prevention and containment) measures. Political leadership is very, very crucial. Rwanda should continue what it is doing now. And other countries should emulate Rwanda."

joshuaao, malakas, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Chilling stuff...I only quoted most of the end of this article, but there is more at the link

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...connect-from-covid-19-reality-worries-experts

Public's disconnect from COVID-19 reality worries experts

Ziggy and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

I would totally get on it if I was of Uyghur descent...

Just reminded me that it seems remdesovir doesn't work well w/ Asians.

malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

And I wondered why Rwanda was basically the only 3rd world country not in the EUs travel ban.
    They must be doing great work and their numbers are reliable.

Good for them!

16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...who knew that there were that many black people in one place that could think critically and scientifically?

I sure didn't.;)

RayRay10 and vlaurelio like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Reeko, RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...maybe the Donald should ask them for help with this virus thing...
    ...nobody does fantasies quite like he does.

...uh...

...unless maybe if you asked some Russian ladies-of-the-evening who've had the pleasure of making the Donald's acquaintance...;)

20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

RWANDA FOREVER!!!

malakas, Reeko, rocketsjudoka and 3 others like this.