1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to defund schools unless they reopen for on-person instruction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not entirely fair. She works very hard as a PR flack for her billionaire friends who want to convert public education into a privatized money making cash cow.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. NewRoxFan

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

And any grandchildren she has... plus trump's grandchildren. If its safe enough for our teachers and children its safe enough for them...

DaDakota and RayRay10 like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump would prefer to listen to Alex, who made money as a pharmaceutical industry lobbyist. During his tenure at Eli Lily diabetes medication went up 345 percent and insulin prices went up 459 percent. He doesn't care about people other than to profit off them. He put a dog breeder, with minimal health experience in charge of leading the agency's day-to-day response to COVID-19.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-hhschief-speci-idUSKCN2243CE
    • ALEX AZAR quote " Our CDC guidance is guidance. When it comes to reopening our schools, nobody should hide behind CDC's guidance as a way to not reopen schools. Our guidance is to enable and empower the reopening of schools and physical attendance by our kids."
    Who has more to gain from that statement, Alex Azar or the CDC? Again, what about the teachers?

One in four teachers at greater risk from coronavirus
    By Tami Luhby, CNN
    Updated 11:07 PM EDT, Fri July 10, 2020
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/politics/teachers-schools-coronavirus/index.html

#145 deb4rockets, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What’s funny (and sad) is that while as a teacher I despise her because she’s trash, we have had far worse then her recently.

DVauthrin, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The thing I'm noticing about the debate (which should maybe in quotes because I think it's more a PR blitz upon a sometimes skeptical public), is that all the arguments are around public policy and are not marketing pitches tailored to my own circumstance. So they say we need to do this because parents need the childcare, young children need the socialization, kids don't get as sick, etc. Iow, they are playing the statistics and trying to optimize large groups of people. What they have not done -- the marketing I'm referring to -- is make an argument about why I should send my kids to school, or to keep them home. Poor kids rely on the free lunch? Not my kids. Working parents rely on the childcare? Not me. Kids can't meet their social needs without school? Mine can (well actually, I'm worried about one of them but the others can). Kids will fall behind academically? Mine will maybe be less far ahead, but not behind. I'd like to see the argument about why I -- not a faceless statistic -- should willingly send my kids into an infection hotspot.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some odd reason I suspect none of their children will be counted among those going back to school

For all intents and purposes. . . we might as well put 4% of 2% of children on a big ole slab of stone
    and plung knives in their chest as sacrifices to the GODS OF ECONOMY.
    This is every bit the same imo

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder is there is an underlying fear of the State no longer in control of the indoctrination of the kids

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to keep in mind that the President can't actually force schools to open. Schools are a state matter and the federal government can only control them through funding.

In the case of US troops being sent in to enforce Brown v. Board of Education that was enforcing civil rights that had been decided by the courts.

Nook, DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

isn't that what the thread title is basically saying

rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and that’s Congress’s job

Nook, rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

joshuaao, DVauthrin and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, just reemphasizing the point as a lot of posts make it seem like Trump and Devos could actually force the schools open.

I’m sure loss of federal funding will hurt school districts but I wonder if many districts, especially with already cutting back on maintaining facilities because of shutdowns might be able to survive. Also for funding mandated by Congress districts might be able to sue to keep federal funds.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

republican complaining that Democrats are politicizing COVID-19...

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

its clear in the posts they can't force them

people are just pointing out the ridiculous stuff Devos as a cabinet secretary is saying like "parents just social distance from the children" and "just use the same guidance from the private sector"

RayRay10 likes this.