1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Movie] The Old Guard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 21, 2020.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Following the first poster the other day, Netflix has premiered the first trailer for the Charlize Theron-led adaptation of the Greg Rucka comic “The Old Guard” which will premiere on the service on July 10th.

The story follows a small group of immortal soldiers who have been working as mercenaries through the ages. But in the 21st century, the novelty of not dying is long gone as the group gets a jolt in their bones when they discover the existence of a new immortal, a black woman serving in the Marines, at the same time as a nefarious organization captures their undying actions on camera.

Theron, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Marwan Kenzari, Kiki Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Luca Marinelli, Harry Melling and Veronica Ngo co-star. Gina Prince-Blythewood (“Beyond the Lights”) helms from a script written by Rucka. David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger produce.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/first-trailer-charlize-theron-in-the-old-guard/

Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Looks good, I`m in!!

3. Nero

Nero Member

Marvel: The Eternals are coming... soon.. ish?

Netflix: Hold my beer!

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm in.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched it tonight.

Not bad. Fight scenes were good.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I liked it.

Rocket River

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It was fine. I liked it. Some of these immortal people should have put some money into Amazon.

Rocket River and peleincubus like this.
  8. Xerobull

I was thinking the same thing. Compound interest? They should be the richest ass-kickers on the planet.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Charlize Theron? In!

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A sequel too right?

11. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

They talking about it. Charlize Theron was great in this. But if you saw the movie, you can see they clearly prepared for a sequel.

12. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

double post...

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i watched bits and pieces of it.., and the skipped to the end. was confused. so now will have to go back from the start and watch it all.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yup. I like the concept. And if they wanted to they could make an even better based around it.

15. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Saw it last night and give it a 3 out of 5. The universe definitely has potential and I felt they could have done a lot more with it but half-way through, they decided to go 100% Hollywood cliche storyline the rest of the way. I do appreciate that they didn't use that stupid orange/yellow filter for all scenes that take place in developing countries like most other Hollywood movies.

Jontro likes this.
  16. GRENDEL

Saw it over the weekend, enjoyed it more than expected. Theron is pretty great in everything, they really threw a lot at the wall in this movie but since they really set up a sequel I'll assume it was intentional. It was pretty enjoyable, I'd be down for a sequel.

I gave it a solid B-

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

finally saw this in its entirety. how did quynh know who booker was if he came after her time? or did the english witch hunt come after napoleon? also i do grow a bit tired of hollywood forcing the lgbt stuff down our throats every chance they get.

aside from that, the sequel seems to be good with quynh/booker vs andy n friends. unless the sequel will have quynh be the singular villain and somehow hunting and killing off andy's crew one by one starting with booker. the baddy in this one seems underwhelming... and you were never once convinced the special forces guy would win in a fight. would be awesome having an ancient immortal baddy fight andy's "relatively newer" crew.

18. GRENDEL

I'm pretty that relationship is a direct adaptation from the comic, so can't blame Hollywood on that one....

Jontro likes this.
  19. Xerobull

I had the same thought on how Booker knew, but my wife said 'they've been together forever, everyone knows each other's stories' which was a decent enough explanation for me. Andy wasn't much of a talker.

As for the gay relationship: didn't bother me at all, in fact, I was worried that one of them would die (they sort of telegraphed it). Acting is an industry heavy on gay men. You could always start acting and bro it up some more to balance it out.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

yeah you probably have a point. then in that case i'm glad they only brushed thru it in this movie. i didn't know this was based off a comic book until just now as i was googling quynh's name for my above post.

GRENDEL likes this.