1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

8 year girl shot dead near the burnt down Wendy's in Atlanta

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 7, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The government can't fix broken home.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't have to.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes it does.

We have Medicaid. We have food stamps. We have housing assistance. The war on poverty has been fought for sixty years since LBJ.
    Housing projects turn to bad places because of crime.

At some point there has to be action taken by the poor. If they don't know their dysfunction then they have be told

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So all the poor need to hear is someone to tell them that it's their fault and magically everything is solved?

FrontRunner and R0ckets03 like this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know you know. But I'll tell you anyway so it could be on the record once and forevers.

ESPN is woke city. Whatever wokeness you could think of will be pushed. Whether or not ESPN loses ratings and money is irrelevant. The agenda is to push and promote the wokeness.

Most of the time, it's cool with me. I won't boycott it or anything silly like that. It's still entertaining, but it's also woke city. Let's be real.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No they need to hear the steps they need to take.

For instance we have public schools. HISD has invested a lot in its inner city schools. They are low performing. You can't keep throwing money at them. So at some point the parents have to be involved. At some point the home has to not be broken

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

Question for you

Do you believe poor blacks can't live responsibly?

How do you propose the government fix one parent home no father figure homes?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The public education system isn't built to address the problems of poverty and broken homes, so that's not where the answer lies. The whole model would have to be rethunk and that's not very likely to happen.

No one can fix broken homes. The idea you have to fix broken homes to solve poverty isn't true nor realistic. The homes are a lost cause, instead you have to focus on helping children.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its called a cycle for a reason.

On education I'll meet you halfway and say it's not like the middle class is very educated. So education for poor kids isn't the biggest problem.

For instance I tried to join the local plumbing union. It was a lot of nepotism. There is a math test in the application process. I scored a 100. Most of those guys couldn't get above 40%.

At the end of the day I didn't know anyone. Those guys at journeyman level make $80k a year at least.

So the point is there is institutional bias in a lot of our systems. However one thing that has changed my perspective in the last 20 years is how well Hispanics do with little education.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If you look at poor inner city blacks they actually have a lot in common with poor white Appalachians. Drugs, crime, poverty, broken homes. Both are prevalent. Both groups are broken people stuck in a cycle. Blacks deal with institutional but if you look at some rural poor white groups they also face many similar barriers to changing their lives.

The solution to both groups is the same. It's not about education - it's about children growing up in these environments have zero belief that they can amount to anything other than what they are exposed to. That's why they need a space where they can learn to build self esteem and that there is a pathway to success in life. The education system isn't built to do that. But groups like the Boys & Girls clubs understand this and build programs to address the needs of these children and I have seen the results and impact. The model already exists, it has shown results, it's just a matter of people putting the energy and dollars into the right solution.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think you sell poor whites short. White people have a lot of pride being American and their homes aren't as broken.

So again I'll meet you halfway and say environment is a detriment to black kids. That being it goes back to broken homes but there is also materialism in the black community that I don't think is prevalent among poor whites.

Young black males in the inner city wanna get rich quick. It leads to self destructive decisions. It's a problem that is deeply rooted. One thing I wish blacks would stop talking about is the wealth gap. It exacerbates the materialism

If black kids were graduating college ready I would worry more about the wealth gap. As it is it's a depressing subject that only belittles black kids more.

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

...or sentences.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The govt. can fix it by taking action to stop the inherent racism in the justice system like BLM have been asking for, which will break up fewer families with a biased burden on African Americans. :)

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Or dick riders

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dude it is really depressing. I used to do Americorp and would tutor high school seniors who couldn't add fractions. The system is failing. I've spent a big part of my free time when I was younger in the inner city working with kids and trying to impact lives. It's not so much as wanting to get rich quick, it's that they don't see any other future. The idea of them going to college is just like one of us going to Mars - it's that impossible from them and that starts at a young age.

The only thing I've seen able to overcome that is boys and girls clubs. I am not speaking on a theoretical level.

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Oh, come on you're better than that...but i'll give Trump the message.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Woke city?

No I don't know that and no I don't think they have any agenda but to make money. Do you actually think they don't care about making money and will push an agenda regardless?

So why was Jamelle Hill and Bill Simmons pushed out and Lebetard has been suspended multiple times if they were pushing a woke agenda?

Yeah please be real, why do you think they would push a "woke" agenda what's the purpose?

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes.

I will have to Google Jamelle Hill to refresh my memory. I just don't remember the particulars of her issues with ESPN.

I don't know anything at all about Lebetard's problems with ESPN.

Bill Simmons needed to be his own boss. They weren't letting him fly. He's now flying as the owner of The Ringer.

Actually, Simmons recently got into it with the wokes because of things he said on a podcast and hiring practices at The Ringer. He might not be an example of ESPN rejecting wokeness.

And Hill might have been too woke for them. They had to spread around the wokeness so everyone could be equally woke. Hill's woke extremism was probably turning off too many people. Gotta be subtle.

Now, I can't think of anyone who will push back on their wokeness. Can you?

Would ESPN ever have anyone say the things Marcellus Wiley has recently said about BLM?

Chaos and confusion. Speculating on what their ultimate goal is will lead to crazy stuff that nobody could prove, but for now it's clear they like stirring **** up and lighting fires under people who do the same.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't take this the wrong way but you seem to reach a lot off conclusions without knowing the full story.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-07-22/dan-le-batard-espn-policy-trump

Although ESPN has not discussed Le Batard’s comments publicly, the Associated Press has reported that the company issued employees a reminder of its policy to avoid political talk. But the Post contacted several on-air personalities at the network and all said they did not receive such a notice and did not know of anyone who had.

So ESPN is willing to lose money for their woke agenda yet J Hill is to woke? How does that make any sense?

I don't think that ESPN is particular woke so why would anyone push back but we do know that J Hill and Lebetard have been suspended for being "woke"

Here is their actual policy.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/10/09/espn-reiterates-no-politics-policy-nba-china-hong-kong

What does ESPN gain from causing chaos and confusion?

20. Nook

Nook Member

He really jumped the shark.

They are not saying that people cannot have nuclear families with a father, mother and children.

They are saying is that it should not be REQUIRED.

That is to say the homosexuals and transgender people.

What the actual statement says is:

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

He didn't even carefully read the statement goal.