1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I left China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 4, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is the story from his business partner

tinman likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn, remind me never to ride dirt bikes and fly drones in china to make travel videos

No Worries likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Or be an American ex-pat living in China when the USA elects a President who thinks a trade war with China will be easy to win.

FranchiseBlade and tinman like this.
  4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I’ve been following Serpentza’s videos for awhile now. What did him in that he had to leave China on top of all the reasons he gave in the video, was the constant harassment by the ChiCom cops. They would paid him a visit to his apartment every other day. The dude knows more about the real China than the majority of you guys here, and he’s also fluent in Mandarin.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yes hes been big for a while.Coincidentally now he is out of China won't be that intriguing to follow..
    Interesting as many were giving him hard time for being too sympathetic.

The freedom of press and speech attacked you might think the media was the enemy of the people! Good thing we dont have those chicom values here!! Err i mean murica!!

generalthade_03 likes this.
  6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I've been a fan of his for a while, and surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) he's been getting a lot of **** for giving his honest opinion on China. There are a lot of trolls talking about how he's "ungrateful" or "traitorous" or other weird stuff like that. I get that most of it is trolling, but it still bothers me a lot. Here's the thing--he lived in China for a decade and a half. He UNDERSTANDS the country. He always makes sure to separate the government and individuals. And his choice to leave is ENTIRELY fair.

If somebody asks me if they should take a nice cushy gig in Beijing or Shanghai or Shenzhen or something, I would tell them to think long and hard about it. Are you OK with dealing with layers upon layers of stupidity to get a job done? Are you OK with the fact that the government over here probably knows exactly where you are at all times? And are you OK with the fact that years of work may be poured down the drain because of a random-ass new policy that some newly-elected city official came up with to appease his boss? I knew all that coming in, and I enjoy living here in Beijing, so I stayed. There are quite a few of us over here, surprisingly. But if I had to deal with the kind of **** that Winston had to deal with, I wouldn't stay either. I'll bet being a public figure in China is godawful. Or maybe not if all you do is smile and neuter all your opinions.

Food's pretty rad here though. And the people are great, for the most part, besides driving like assholes.

tinman likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks
    You give validation to the subject cause you are there in China

I always want to expand my knowledge and not make assumptions like everyone else on Clutchfans

you are like us, independent thinking rockets fans with superior cultural and intellectual knowledge
    @Ziggy

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

A couple years ago I remember these two posting about how life in China was different but not bad at all.

tinman likes this.