1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS4] The Last of Us: Part II

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Dec 3, 2016.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

first define what a NOT repetitive game is to you. That would better for me to answer that question.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's a rumor that the digital XBOX SERIES X is going to be $200 and super tiny. Apparently they lowered the terraflops from 12 to 4, so games are optimized for 1080p and 1440p. Supposedly still 3X more powerful than the Xbox 1 X.

I might just buy both cheaper ps 5 and xbox systems without the media drives.

Sanctity likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I bought the game today. But I’m still not in the right state of mind to play it.

the first game is in my top 5 all time. But good god it was mentally draining

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  4. Beezy

Beezy Member

Spider-Man's traversal and combat was crazy fun, especially as you unlocked new powers.

If you didn't like that, then I'd probably avoid TLOU2 and pretty much every other game as well.

mario_v likes this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Just lol.

You know people can have actual opinions that differ from another, don't you?

What a peculiar reaction to another person's viewpoint.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Beezy

Beezy Member

This game is the new Captain Marvel for man babies to cry about.

mario_v and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

I probably should have been more explicit. I can tell he didn't get his own opinion by the first point he made in that list of bullet points. If you want me to spoiler tag it for you on why I know his list of bullets is full of bs, I can explain it but that would mean I would have to spoil some main story events. It mainly has to do with Joel's character development.

And there so is the fact that this game is getting review bombed by incel Anti-SJWs. Go to the dozens of YouTube right wing channels that mask themselves as gaming channels and see how obsessively outraged they are about this game because they think that the game is out for white male father figures. That backdrop of review bomb hate by alt right wackos makes me suspicious when someone lists bullet points of generic platitude hate points that make no sense in the context of the story when you actually sit down and play the game.

#67 fchowd0311, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  8. fchowd0311

Yup, hence why you shouldn't hurt trust someone b****ing about the game at face value. Some people out of the loop might just fall for it and then lash out at someone like me for calling those people out. Anyways I'll just link some YouTube videos of how absurd this deal is with the TLOU sequal.

me

People are insane and these YouTube grifters are taking advantage of vulnerable young males.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I loved the first game. I replayed it 4 times through.

I have never been more hyped for a video game in my entire life moreso than TLOU2.

When I heard some of my best friends say I really need to look at the leaks before I spend my money on the game - it got me real worried. Some strangers opinion on the internet won't sway my decision - but when it's multiple of my best friends who also loved the first game and were very hesitant about the second - I took notice.

First of all, ND were very, very deceiving in every single trailer they released about this game. There is a reason for that.

My dislike for TLOU2 has nothing to do with graphics, or gameplay or any other mechanic in the game because watching people's playthroughs it looks just as beautiful as the first game.

And yet, I still will never buy it. And I still hate the game.

It's got nothing to do with being an incel. Anti-SJW. Or any other derogatory description you use to come up with people who have differing viewpoints of your own.

I hate the game simply for the fact that they took what made the first game the greatest gaming experience I have ever had, burned it to the ground laughed at me and made a game that has got absolutely zero in common with the first game.

Joel (and I would surmise Tommy is very similar) has spent the entire aftermath of the beginning of TLOU being dubious about others, that's how he stayed alive. Then all of a sudden him and Tommy just walk into a stranger's house and admit where their own camp is, who they are without a care in the world. That is bad writing and that is as far from the masterpiece of TLOU as you can get.

My hatred for this game boils down to one thing pure and simple. Why in the world would I want to play a game that not only kills Joel, but then makes you play out the rest of the game as the killer. Yeah sorry but that just does not interest me one bit.

I feel incredibly let down and stupid for being so invested in a video game to be feeling this way.

You don't feel that way. You know why. Because we're individuals and we have our own opinions. That is perfectly fine. I'm seeing Youtubers after they finish the game saying it's fantastic. I see Youtubers after they finish the game utterly irate and dumbfounded.

People. Have. Different. Opinions.

The fact you don't seem to grasp this and immediately go on an offensive tirade attacking people, shows a little bit more about you than you'd like to realise.

10. fchowd0311

You've been listening to some bad actors dude. I can tell when you say you play as Joel's killer the rest of the game after you kill him. Umm no. You play for Ellie for hours upon hours after Joel's death hunting Joel's killer in Seattle. It's the largest chunk of the game.

And also this is what I took from the narrative theme of the game. From what I've played so far I think the events and the context of these events are compellibg and expected. From what I gather so far this game is about the cycle of violence. It's a game about trying to shake you out of your bubble where you think you are the central protagonist of a story. In real life we assume in most cases we are the protagonist, the good guys etc and what this game is saying is it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if your goal or desire is morally praiseworthy as long as if the path to get there leaves behind a trail of bodies. Those trail of bodies might have consisted of people who fought against your world view and your well being but those trail of bodies still consistent of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters which means all that you accomplished is creating a cascading chain of hate that will eventually bite you in the ass even if you see yourself as some sort of protagonist.

Akin to the "war in terror" where we thought we were the morally superior country eliminating terrorists when all we accomplished is cresting more angry orphans plotting their revenge against America. This is evident in the fact that there are more Islamic extremist groups today then there were before the "war in terror" began in 2001.

I can also tell you've listened to some bad actors when you say Joel's actions don't make sense in trusting Abby.

It only makes sense if you watch a lot of YouTube video channels hate spamming the game. I heard that statement s lot. "Joel's actions don't reflect his character because Joel isn't trusting. Now maybe you could form that conclusion if you just saw a snippet of leaks showing his death out of context but in reality there was no "Joel going out of his way to help Abby and magically trusting her". Joel and his brother were running from a hoard of hundreds of infected and along the same path while frantically running, they run into Abby also running who also has a gun. Now in these situations when an incoming threat of hundreds of zombies are running towards you, are you really considering not trusting the other conscious human you found along the way running who has a firearm that can help? Joel and Abby helped each other in that time out of shear pragmatism. They had no choice but to cooperate or they would have died. Also there was a blizzard at the time so even if they successfully escaped the hoard of infected, they didn't have the ability to walk all the way back in town and since they were being chased by a hoard of infected during a blizzard, a secured area with with heat was essential to survival and Abby said her friends have a mansion nearby that is guarded and heated. Any rational person would go to that shelter. Joel isn't going to die in a blizzard because of "trust" issues in this context. "trust" can **** off for the moment when hundreds of zombies are running towards you in a mountainous area in blizzard conditions.

Essentially what I'm saying is if an alien invasion occured that was an immediate existential threat to human existence, the trust issues between the US and Russia would go on the back burner until the immediate existential problem is solved.

mario_v likes this.
  11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

How exactly were you presented with this information? I'm genuinely curious to see/read it for myself. To fchowd0311's point, this doesn't mesh with the experience I got from watching the game's story play out, although I suppose some could interpret it that way. Maybe it is just different opinions of the same scenes, but if you haven't actually checked out the game (just do Youtube playthroughs like me if you want), I'm wondering if the experience ends up heavily mangled.

To be clear, I'm not saying it is all perfect. As stated before, I think they misfired on some things, and I definitely liked TLOU1 better than TLOU2 when it comes to the overall story. I like the idea they had for Abby (it kinda feels like a reverse Joel from TLOU1), but I admit that I wasn't 100% sympathetic to her character when everything was done (maybe it would help if I played it though). They maybe weren't expecting people to *love* her character so much as just to show how feelings of revenge can ruin a person (which I guess is the main theme of the game), but I think they probably could have improved that aspect of the game a bit to get the point across better.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

The game is set 5 years after the events of the first game, though.

In those 5 years, and especially with what happened at the end of the last game, you would think Joel would be suspicious of others. If this crap happened at the start of the first game, you can just chalk it up to Joel's naivete. But remember, the first game was set 20 years after Sarah died. So 25 years have passed since Sarah died, for Joel to develop his gruff exterior.

I get that saving Abby at that point in time might be the human thing to do, and maybe going to Abby's hideout was the smart thing to do. But to immediately offer up your name(s) and the fact that you're well-stocked (enough to give some supplies away) doesn't fit the characters of Tommy and Joel, at all. Use a different name, for goodness' sake. Don't just let it slip that you have a group of people. That puts everyone in danger (like Ellie, the person you've tried to protect for 25 years).

And then for Abby to kill Joel in that manner? That's ridiculous. The way the plot was, with how Abby said "guess." when Joel asked who she was, is just lazy writing. As the audience, no one could have known you were the daughter of one of the Firefly scientists that Joel killed. It's completely ridiculous to ask the gamer to deal with how Joel died at the hands of this unknown woman, and then ask us to play as the murderer just so we can sympathize and see why she did what she did. If this happened after we played through as Abby, then maybe it wouldn't be such a shocking event that Abby kills Joel.

But to essentially start the game with that? Why would anyone care about Joel's killer when we're 0% emotionally invested in who the killer was?

You mentioned that Joel does save Abby at the start of the game?

Oh, right. Joel. SAVES. Abby. You know, from dying a gruesome death. So instead of having any emotional reaction to this (read: "oh, my father's killer saved my life? maybe he's not all bad. I should find out more.") she is still hellbent on killing Joel. No discussion with the group, whatsoever. And even after Joel and Tommy give up their names and how they have a group, the smart thing to do for the group, was to be friendly to them and ask them more about whereabouts. You could have killed Joel at any time.

You can talk about the events surrounding Joel and Abby all you want, but Abby's character was not written well, and was not written smartly.

Finally, the ending, which was supposed to be cathartic for Ellie, was so anti-climactic.

The most important person in your life was killed by Abby. The same woman bites off two of your fingers. If you lose two of your fingers in real life at 19 years of age, you'd have a hard time coping. Now imagine losing two fingers in the world of TLoU.

You have a chance to kill this woman...and you almost do. But a flashback of Joel playing the guitar stops you? Like wtf is that? More lazy writing. I think if you polled all of the people who played through this game, more than 95% would have killed Abby, if given the choice.

Last thing I'll say, is this. To your example: if an alien invasion occurred and the world had to band together to stop them, the US wouldn't just willy-nilly give away all its secrets until the country absolutely had to. And Joel and Tommy, in that situation, absolutely didn't have to.

13. fchowd0311

Saying your name is Joel isn't something people would consider heavy information that can cause damangr to oneself.

Also Joel didn't 'save" Abby. They saved each other as it was a mutual partnership in the heat of the moment when 100 infected are running towards you. Please tell me how Joel.woild have the time to contemplate about trust issues with a stranger when a hoard of 100 infected are literally chasing you? Nothing in Joel's character suggests he's so untrusting that he's suicidal.

In the first game, Joel trusted Henry and Sam after some initial standoffness but that standoffness was allowed to happen because there was down time in between unlike with the Abby and Joel situation where there was even barely room to complete a sentence because again a literal hoard of one hundred infected were right behind them to the point that they reached the gate of the mansion through horseback in the nick of time where the hoard just missed the open gate.

So please tell me when Joel would even have the ****ing time to contemplate trust issues.

This is just unreasonable dude. It's obvious you are registering opinions of others and rose others are most likely b****ing in bad faith.

Do you think it was out of character of Joel to introduce his name to Henry and Sam? Joel saying his name isn't some narrative breaking event dude. I'm sorry you are over the top now in ridiculousness.

mario_v likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ridiculousness? Ridiculousness is you being hyper-focused on the name thing, which was probably the most minor of things I said, and disregarding everything else that I talked about.

There was no mutual saving. Joel saved Abby's life. There WAS some downtime - it's when Tommy and Joel introduced themselves to Abby and Abby alone right after Joel and Tommy saved Abby. Abby had time to digest how this dude's name was "Joel" and invited them back to her hideout, where she killed Joel.

When would Joel have the time to contemplate trust issues? Let's see. Oh, right. He's had 20 years after Sarah died, the entire TLoU playthrough and 5 years since the events of the first game ended to know not to be so casual with people. I highly doubt all those years in the TLoU world would make one more friendly and trusting of others. But hey, believe what you want to believe.

In your example. you go against your own point. Joel only trusted Henry and Sam after a period of time. So then why would you expect Joel to be so trusting of a person / group of people after just meeting them? You'd be even more cautious of Abby and her people...not less cautious.

It seems you have a major problem with people disagreeing with you. I'm providing my POV with an actual discussion. But if all you have to go on is "trololol JoEl'S nAmE trololol" then this discussion isn't worth having with you. Have a good rest of the weekend.

15. fchowd0311

I have a problem with people making hard claims from third hand accounts.

16. fchowd0311

I have a problem with people making hard claims from third hand accounts.
    you just kind of forgot about the whole 100 infected ringing down on them. And that "down time" was ten seconds just enough for a quick intro. No one has the foresight know saying your first name to a stranger has severe consequences. That's not the "trust" issues that people have in these post apocalyptic scenario. The Walking Dead delved into the same issue of trusting strangers and never was there some type of stigma of saying first ****ing name.

And yes it was a mutual save. If I see a hoard of a hundred infected with me, I'm going to team up with the concious viable human with a firearm who can help.

17. Beezy

Beezy Member

I'm a good way into the game now, and the gameplay blows the first one away. The controls are so smooth - I wish Rockstar could figure out how to make characters that don't control like they're stuck in mud.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. noize

noize Contributing Member

I'm just starting Seattle Day 2 and I'm already missing Dina. I love her character more so then Ellie. She's very smart and saved my ass more then a few occasion. She has this sense of charm and sweetness that is easy to get attached to without being annoying like other supporting character. I really hope we get to reconnect at some point later in the game.

As for the game itself. This is more like a refined and clean up version of TLOU regarding the gameplay mechanics. Which I'm fine with because the gameplay was already near perfect.

The story. Oh my...it has been an emotional roller coaster ride for the six hours that I've put in so far. I'm not sure where this thing is gonna take us but I'm very curious and to be cautiously optimistic of what's to come. I came into the game blind and free of spoiler and I'm loving what I see and hear so far. This has some of the best graphics and sound you will ever get to witness on the PS4.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I forgot how mentally exhausting this damn game is. I’m not far, taking it slow. But Fck I hate killing 5 of 6 clickers only to get my neck chomped. Story has been decent so far but I’m only an hour in.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Just finished the game and all I can say is wow,what an incredible game. The story was pretty good but the experience of the game was phenomenal. I don’t get the hate for this game at all, this is easily a 9/10 game for me.

fchowd0311 likes this.