1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

3. NewRoxFan

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Twitter needs to add a facts check to a ton of Trump's bogus tweets.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

6. Buck Turgidson

Why do you hate our system of democracy?

3.5M people over 65 (eta: are eligible to) vote by mail every election in TX...how many fraudulent votes have you found?

RayRay10, No Worries and joshuaao like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Cheat, Steal, Lie?

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I LOVE Susan Rice and, in any other election, she'd be my pick. She's incredibly smart. But her greatest asset is her foreign policy chops. That's one place Biden doesn't need help. He needs help rebuilding the economy and rebuilding government infrastructure that was devastated by Trump firing anyone with any experience (people with decades of serving both parties that Trump called 'the deep state').

That's Warren.

Re: the rest of your post, as I said in my original post, she's my pick for governing, not electability or 2024. Even though she's my pick for both of those things as well, I'm not interested in that debate, except to say VP's don't lose presidential elections unless they're Sarah Palin bad.

I'm only making the argument that in this time of unprecedented crisis, Biden needs major help governing. No other candidate (or person) fits that bill as well as Warren does. Nobody comes close.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  10. Batman Jones

First, the Democrats have a very good chance of holding the House and winning the Senate. That changes the equation on the "zero sum game" thing.

As for Biden/electability, it was his entire argument and the entire argument of each of his major advocates, in public and private--that he was best suited to beat Trump. And that nobody else could win, which was ridiculous. Exit polls in states he won also cited his electability as the major reason for supporting him.

I'm not belittling Biden by saying that. It's an historical fact.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Biden needs to hire them...NOW.

12. Batman Jones

Hilariously, this anti-Trump group of Republicans is headed up by Kelly Conway's husband George Conway. All of their ads have been pretty great.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Wall Street Journal editorial... "trump is debasing his office, and he’s hurting the country in doing so.”

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. NewRoxFan

The Hill (center right news site) op-ed written by a Democratic strategist...

Seniors will make Donald Trump a one-term president
    https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/499451-seniors-will-make-donald-trump-a-one-term-president

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

With the Senate on such tenuous ground and Dems needing every person they can get, that rules out Warren. I agree with you in that she would probably be the best VP choice...however, her state has a Republican governor, which means her replacement would likely be a Republican. Dems can't afford to make Warren VP only to come up one seat short in the higher chamber.

Sucks for her because it probably also rules her out from any cabinet positions as well.

baller4life315 likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

You have a great point, and I think it's a knock against her, because if Biden wins those first few months will be critical. But I don't think Baker's going to name anyone that won't go along to get along. They'll have to run in the special election too.

Charlie Baker is a Republican governor in a very blue state and he'll have to run for reelection. There's precedent there for naming a replacement of the same party. Also precedent there for the blue legislature passing a bill to speed up the special election so they don't have to wait the customary 90 days. She could also resign from the senate early to speed up the special election.

I don't think she's the favorite though. I just think she's the best choice. If she's not named though, Biden can wait for her wrt a cabinet position and I think he would. He can announce his intention to appoint her, but wait to actually do so.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Batman Jones

And if he did name her to a cabinet position, I think he would invent a new one for her giving her a lot of control over the economic recovery and fixing the broken system we had before all this pandemic stuff.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Batman Jones

While Democrats focus on battleground states and maybe throw some efforts at a couple of traditional red state pickups, Trump will have to defend himself in NC, GA, and TX at least. We don't know yet if that UT poll is an outlier, but it's a good sign.

Older votes are hell of pissed at Trump's response to coronavirus and that really doesn't bode well for him in FL. If Florida goes blue, that's the election.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Honestly, I'm not a big fan. It's not at all clear to me that there is potential for corruption at scale without getting caught. I just don't know. Experts say it can be done safely. Nevertheless I'm uncomfortable with standing up a new protocol on an emergency basis. You don't have the time to do a pilot, to build fraud detection capabilities, etc. And, maybe most importantly fraud or not, you don't have the luxury of socializing the tool to the electorate to give them comfort that the protocol is safe and effective. That's not where I want to be for the most consequential election of the last 50+ years.

Election day will be a big coronabomb. But right now we're suffering the compounding effects of two simultaneous disasters. In November we have a chance to knock out one of those disasters, which will make dealing with the other one a lot easier. I'm reluctant to do anything too crazy that will jeopardize that chance. If Trump wins re-election, we are effed with or without the coronabomb on election day.

RayRay10 likes this.