1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Most Unmanly President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, May 26, 2020.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/donald-trump-the-most-unmanly-president/612031/

Donald Trump, the Most Unmanly President

Why don’t the president’s supporters hold him to their own standard of masculinity?

MAY 25, 2020

Tom Nichols

So many mysteries surround Donald Trump: the contents of his tax returns, the apparent miracle of his graduation from college. Some of them are merely curiosities; others are of national importance, such as whether he understood the nuclear-weapons briefing given to every president. I prefer not to dwell on this question.

But since his first day as a presidential candidate, I have been baffled by one mystery in particular: Why do working-class white men—the most reliable component of Donald Trump’s base—support someone who is, by their own standards, the least masculine man ever to hold the modern presidency? The question is not whether Trump fails to meet some archaic or idealized version of masculinity. The president’s inability to measure up to Marcus Aurelius or Omar Bradley is not the issue. Rather, the question is why so many of Trump’s working-class white male voters refuse to hold Trump to their own standards of masculinity—why they support a man who behaves more like a little boy.

I am a son of the working class, and I know these cultural standards. The men I grew up with think of themselves as pretty tough guys, and most of them are. They are not the products of elite universities and cosmopolitan living. These are men whose fathers and grandfathers came from a culture that looks down upon lying, cheating, and bragging, especially about sex or courage. (My father’s best friend got the Silver Star for wiping out a German machine-gun nest in Europe, and I never heard a word about it until after the man’s funeral.) They admire and value the understated swagger, the rock-solid confidence, and the quiet reserve of such cultural heroes as John Wayne’s Green Beret Colonel Mike Kirby and Sylvester Stallone’s John Rambo (also, as it turns out, a former Green Beret.)

They are, as an American Psychological Association feature describes them, men who adhere to norms such as “toughness, dominance, self-reliance, heterosexual behaviors, restriction of emotional expression and the avoidance of traditionally feminine attitudes and behaviors.” But I didn’t need an expert study to tell me this; they are men like my late father and his friends, who understood that a man’s word is his bond and that a handshake means something. They are men who still believe in a day’s work for a day’s wages. They feel that you should never thank another man when he hands you a paycheck that you earned. They shoulder most burdens in silence—perhaps to an unhealthy degree—and know that there is honor in making an honest living and raising a family.

Not every working-class male voted for Trump, and not all of them have these traits, of course. And I do not present these beliefs and attitudes as uniformly virtuous in themselves. Some of these traditional masculine virtues have a dark side: Toughness and dominance become bullying and abuse; self-reliance becomes isolation; silence becomes internalized rage. Rather, I am noting that courage, honesty, respect, an economy of words, a bit of modesty, and a willingness to take responsibility are all virtues prized by the self-identified class of hard-working men, the stand-up guys, among whom I was raised.

And yet, many of these same men expect none of those characteristics from Trump, who is a vain, cowardly, lying, vulgar, jabbering blowhard. Put another way, as a question I have asked many of the men I know: Is Trump a man your father and grandfather would have respected?

I should point out here that I am not criticizing Trump’s manifest lack of masculinity solely because he offends my personal sense of maleness. He does, of course. But then again, a lot about the president offends me, as a man, as a Christian, and as an American. Nor do I make these observations as a role model of male virtue. I was, in every way, an immature cad as a younger man. In late middle age, I still struggle with the eternal issues of manhood, including what it means to be a good father and husband—especially the second time around after failing at marriage once already.

And truth be told, I am not particularly “manly.” I wear Italian shoes with little buckles. I schedule my haircuts on Boston’s Newbury Street weeks in advance. My shower is full of soaps and shampoos claiming scents like “tobacco and caramel,” and my shaving cream has bergamot in it, whatever that is. And I talk too much.

I freely accept that I do not pass muster by the standards of most Trump supporters. Again, what intrigues me is that neither should Trump. As the writer Windsor Mann has noted, Trump behaves in ways that many working-class men would ridicule: “He wears bronzer, loves gold and gossip, is obsessed with his physical appearance, whines constantly, can't control his emotions, watches daytime television, enjoys parades and interior decorating, and used to sell perfume.”

I am not a psychologist, and I cannot adjudicate the theories of male behavior that might explain some of this. Others have tried. Two researchers who looked back at the 2016 presidential election suggested that support for Trump was higher in areas where there were more internet searches for topics such as “erectile dysfunction,” “how to get girls,” and “penis enlargement” than in pro-Hillary areas of the country. (One can only hope that correlation is not causation.) The idea that insecure men support bullies and authoritarians is hardly new; recall that one of George Orwell’s characters in 1984dismissed all the “marching up and down and cheering and waving flags” as “simply sex gone sour.” To reduce all of this to sexual inadequacy, however, is too facile. It cannot explain why millions of men look the other way when Trump acts in ways they would typically find shameful. Nor is arguing that Trump is a bad person and therefore that the people who support him are either brainwashed or also bad people helpful. He is, and some of them are. But that doesn’t explain why men who would normally ostracize someone like Trump continue to embrace him.

In order to think about why these men support Trump, one must first grasp how deeply they are betraying their own definition of masculinity by looking more closely at the flaws they should, in principle, find revolting.

mikol13, Andre0087, Rashmon and 9 others like this.
  2. Batman Jones

(cont’d)

Is Trump honorable? This is a man who routinely refused to pay working people their due wages, and then lawyered them into the ground when they objected to being exploited. Trump is a rich downtown bully, the sort most working men usually hate.

Is Trump courageous? Courtiers like Victor Davis Hanson have compared Trump to the great heroes of the past, including George Patton, Ajax, and the Western gunslingers of the American cinema. Trump himself has mused about how he would have been a good general. He even fantasized about how he would have charged into the middle of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, without a weapon. “You don't know until you test it,” he said at a meeting with state governors just a couple of weeks after the massacre, “but I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon, and I think most of the people in this room would have done that too.”

Truly brave people never tell you how brave they are. I have known many combat veterans, and none of them extols his or her own courage. What saved them, they will tell you, was their training and their teamwork. Some—perhaps the bravest—lament that they were not able to do more for their comrades.

But even if we excuse Trump for the occasional hyperbole, the fact of the matter is that Trump is an obvious coward. He has two particular phobias: powerful men and intelligent women.

Whenever he is in the company of Russian President Vladimir Putin, to take the most cringe-inducing example, he visibly cowers. His attempts to ingratiate himself with Putin are embarrassing, especially given how effortlessly Putin can bend Trump to his will. When the Russian leader got Trump alone at a summit in Helsinki, he scared him so badly that at the subsequent joint press conference, Putin smiled pleasantly while the president of the United States publicly took the word of a former KGB officer over his own intelligence agencies.

Likewise, as Trump has shown repeatedly in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, he is eager to criticize China, until he is asked about Chinese President Xi Jinping. In the course of the same few minutes, Trump will attack China—his preferred method for escaping responsibility for America’s disastrous response to the coronavirus pandemic—and then he will babble about how much he likes President Xi, desperately seeking to avoid giving offense to the Chinese Communist Party boss.

This is related to one of Trump’s most noticeable problems, which is that he can never stop talking. The old-school standard of masculinity is the strong and silent type, like Gary Cooper back in the day or Tom Hardy today. Trump, by comparison, is neither strong nor capable of silence.

And when Trump talks too much, he ends up saying things that more stereotypically masculine men wouldn’t, like that he fell in love with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un. “He wrote me beautiful letters, and they’re great letters,” Trump told a rally in West Virginia. “We fell in love.” One can only imagine the reaction among working-class white men if Barack Obama, or any other U.S. president, had talked about falling in love with a foreign leader. (George W. Bush once said he saw into Putin’s soul, and he has never lived it down among his critics.)

mikol13, Andre0087, Rashmon and 5 others like this.
  3. Batman Jones

(cont’d)

Is Trump a man who respects women? This is what secure and masculine men would expect, especially from a husband and a father of two daughters.

Leave aside for the moment that the working-class white men in the president’s base don’t seem to care that Trump had an affair with a p*rn star while his wife was home with a new baby, something for which many of them would probably beat their own brother-in-law senseless if he did it to their sister. Trump’s voters, male and female, have already decided to excuse this and other sordid episodes.

Women clearly scare Trump. You don’t have to take my word for it. “Donald doesn’t like strong women,” Senator Ted Cruz said back in 2016 of the candidate who attacked Cruz’s wife as ugly, but who is now his hero as president. “Strong women scare Donald. Real men don’t try to bully women.”

Trump never seems more fearful and insecure than when women question him. His anxiety at such moments—for example, when he calls on female reporters in the White House press room—is palpable. He begins his usual flurry of defensive hand gestures, from the playing of an imaginary accordion to a hand held up with a curled pinky finger like some parody of a Queens mobster, while he stammers out verbal chaff bursts of “excuse me” and “are you ready?”

Does Trump accept responsibility and look out for his team? Not in the least. In this category, he exhibits one of the most unmanly of behaviors: He’s a blamer. Nothing is ever his fault. In the midst of disaster, he praises himself while turning on even his most loyal supporters without a moment’s hesitation. Men across America who were socialized by team sports, whose lives are predicated on the principle of showing up and doing the job, continually excuse a man who continually excuses himself. This presidency is defined not by Ed Harris’s grim intonation in Apollo 13 that “failure is not an option,” but by one of the most shameful utterances of a chief executive in modern American history: “I take no responsibility at all.”

Trump’s defenders could argue that he is just another male celebrity whose raw authenticity offends snooty elitists but appeals to the average Joe. The analogy here is someone like Howard Stern, who has known Trump for years and has been idolized by young men across America. Stern cavorted with p*rn stars, said shocking and racist things, and was, in his way, the living id of every maladjusted teenager.

Whatever you think of Stern, however, he’s much more of a man, by any definition, than Trump. For one thing, Stern is often self-effacing in the extreme, which is both part of his act and a source of the charm he possesses. Stern routinely jokes about the inadequacy of his male endowment. Trump, however, went to pains to reassure the country—in the middle of a presidential primary debate—that his equipment has “no problem.” Stern knows how to take his lumps in public, while Trump is a wailing siren of complaints.

More important, Stern is capable of introspection and has a certain amount of self-awareness, a quality important for any mature and healthy person. Stern, who once encouraged Trump’s antics, now seems concerned. He has suggested that Trump was traumatized by his childhood and his father. “He has trouble with empathy,” Stern told CNN’s Anderson Cooper. “We know that. And I wish he'd go into psychotherapy. I'd be so proud of him if he did, and he would flourish.” (Stern endorsed Joe Biden in April.)

Trump is never going to get therapy. But Stern’s observation opens the door to a better explanation of why—despite all of his whiny complaints, his pouty demeanor, and his mean-girl tweets—Trump’s working-class voters forgive him.

Trump’s lack of masculinity is about maturity. He is not manly because he is not a man. He is a boy.

To be a man is to be an adult, to willingly decide, as St. Paul wrote, to “put away childish things.” There’s a reason that Peter Pan is a story about a boy, and the syndrome named after it is about men. Not everyone grows up as they age.

It should not be a surprise then, that Trump is a hero to a culture in which so many men are already trapped in perpetual adolescence. And especially for men who feel like life might have passed them by, whose fondest memories are rooted somewhere in their own personal Wonder Years from elementary school until high-school graduation, Trump is a walking permission slip to shrug off the responsibilities of manhood.

The appeal to indulge in such hypocrisy must be enormous. Cheat on your wife? No problem. You can trade her in for a hot foreign model 20 years younger. Is being a father to your children too onerous a burden on your schedule? Let the mothers raise them. Money troubles? Everyone has them; just tell your father to write you another check. Upset that your town or your workplace has become more diverse? Get it off your chest: Rail about women and Mexicans and African Americans at will and dare anyone to contradict you.

Trump’s media enablers do their best to shore up the fiction that Trump and the men who follow him are the most macho of men. The former White House aide Sebastian Gorka, one of Trump’s most dedicated sycophants, has described Trump as a “man’s man,” despite the fact that Trump has no hobbies or interests common to many American men other than sex. In this gang of Sweathogs, Gorka is the Arnold Horshack to Trump’s Vinnie Barbarino, always admiring him as the most alpha of the alphas. To listen to Gorka and others in Trumpworld, the president can turn his enemies to ash through sheer testosterone overload. Some Trump voters have even airbrushed the president’s face onto the bodies of both Rambo and Rocky Balboa. (The president himself approvingly retweeted the Trump-as-Rocky meme.)

Gorka tries to cosplay the same role himself. The photographs of him carrying guns, wearing a suede vest, and posing next to his underpowered suburban Mustang are now internet legends, precisely because they are so ridiculous. But he is a good example of how so many of the men who support Trump have morphed into childish caricatures of themselves. They, too, are little boys, playing at being tough but crying about their victimization at the hands of liberal elites if they are subjected to criticism of any kind.

I do not know how much of this can explain Trump’s base of support among working-class white women. (Those numbers are now declining.) But perhaps these women, too, regard Trump as just one more difficult and mischievous man-child in their lives to be accommodated and forgiven.

The best example of women giving him a pass was after the Access Hollywood tape came to light in the fall of 2016. Trump had been caught on audio bragging about being able to grope women because he was famous. Republican leaders panicked; surely this level of vulgarity, they reasoned, would kill Trump’s chances with female voters.

Instead, women showed up at rallies with shirts featuring arrows pointing right to where Trump could grab them.

Melania Trump, for her part, dutifully defended the boyishness of it all. “Sometimes I say I have two boys at home,” she said at the time. “I have my young son and I have my husband. But I know how some men talk, and that’s how I saw it.” Female Trump supporters were interviewed on national television and—in a tragic admission about the state of American families—seemed confused about why Trump would be considered any worse than the men around them.

I recall one woman telling a reporter that her son talked that way in front of her all the time. Part of how I was socialized into adult manhood was knowing that if I spoke like that in front of my late mother—an Irish American woman from an impoverished background—she would have made my ears ring with the slap she’d have given me.

In the end, Trump will continue to act like a little boy, and his base, the voters who will stay with him to the end, will excuse him. When a grown man brags about being brave, it is unmanly and distasteful; when a little boy pulls out a cardboard sword and ties a towel around his neck like a cape, it’s endearing. When a rich and powerful old man whines about how unfairly he is being treated, we scowl and judge; when a little boy snuffles in his tears and says that he was bullied—treated worse than Abraham Lincoln, even—we comfort.

Donald Trump is unmanly because he has never chosen to become a man. He has weathered few trials that create an adult of any kind. He is, instead, working-class America’s dysfunctional son, and his supporters, male and female alike, have become the worried parent explaining what a good boy he is to terrorized teachers even while he continues to set fires in the hallway right outside.

I think that working men, the kind raised as I was, know what kind of “man” Trump is. And still, the gratification they get from seeing Trump enrage the rest of the country is enough to earn their indulgence. I doubt, however, that Trump gives them the same consideration. Perhaps Howard Stern, of all people, said it best: “The oddity in all of this is the people Trump despises most, love him the most. The people who are voting for Trump for the most part … He’d be disgusted by them.” The tragedy is that they are not disgusted by him in return.

mikol13, Andre0087, Rashmon and 5 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Not all blue collar men believe in or practice the virtues and values contained in the article, many do not. The “common man” also often holds racist beliefs, objectify women and blame others for their failings.

Trump has huge balls and that impresses a lot of men. He is uncouth like many people. He lacks formality and acts like many common people believe they would act if they had money. He isn’t snooty and he plays the role of the benevolent authority figure.

Once you get over the social stigma hurdle; a racist/sexist/politically incorrect authoritarian leader that parrots fighting for “traditional values” is a very appealing candidate.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Trump is a child, that’s abundantly clear. Unfortunately this isn’t our grandparents’ America anymore. I don’t romanticize the past because obviously there was lots of oppression and social woes; however there was a time when (around Vietnam) young men were going to war and their fathers/grandfathers served in Korea or WW2. That generation wouldn’t tolerate Trump’s antics and every modern president has been respectful and insightful until now. The standard has dropped.

We’ve entered a culture of “I told you so” and tribalism that honestly doesn’t resemble patriotism anymore. Trump has a male, working class base not because they value masculinity (they would admire someone with those traits, I’m sure...John McCain is a good example). But the overriding acceptance comes from the fact he sticks it to liberals. “Snowflake Democrats” are the enemy who want everyone to dye their hair purple and put up their hunting rifles. There’s no bigger an unapologetic spokesman against democrats than Trump (Rush Limbaugh won’t run for President).

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought it was gonna be some dig about how his boobs are bigger than his wife’s.

Batman Jones, Andre0087, Nook and 5 others like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Go back and watch/read Fight Club again which is a snapshot in time of the psyche of the blue collar and low level white collar working man who came into the workforce post Reagan in the US.

It’s an era of masculinity that is so insecure and unfulfilled that it has to create alter egos to feel good about anything in their lives. I go back and watch that film now with a much different view knowing how that generation of men that book was about turned out after decades of cry’s for help. It obviously didn’t go well if it came to where we are in 2020.

This generation of men see Trump as the guy who can say anything and get away with it in a way they could never have the confidence to do. That’s the biggest appeal and the great desperation of their lives to no longer feel like they are just cogs on a wheel.

But deep in there Trump is more insecure and miserable than any one of them. He has millions of men convinced he’s Tyler Durden when really he’s more Ben Stillers character in Dodgeball. I feel like men of the fight club generation also missed the last act of the story where falling into the trap of following someone like Trump ultimately gets you in a worse spot in cult like behavior.

I don’t know if this generation of men will have a breakthrough moment and something in our culture breaks the mold but it really is sad that it’s come down to this after decades of warning that something is really wrong with the psyche of men of a certain generation that our economy and society have created.

#7 dobro1229, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When they are posted in their entirety on other sites so they aren't generated clicks to get ad revenue absolutely true.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Tom Nichols doesn’t work for the Atlantic. Fun fact - he’s an undefeated five-time Jeopardy champion.

Nook and Batman Jones like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great piece. Tom Nichols is one of my favorite pundits right now and this is another great piece from him.

This is a topic I've thought of a lot regarding both the Trump phenomenon but also the state of masculinity in this culture. As someone who does a very violent sport but am primarily now a coach and has been primarily a coach of college aged males how we are bringing up men is one of the critical issues that effect our society.

For Trump particularly I know several people in Judo and Jujitsu who are big Trump supporters. All are male, all are white, and most of them are over 50.. Many of them economic backgrounds would be considered lower middle class / working class. Most of them I consider to be good people who I personally don't have trouble with and enjoyed training or competing against, who I know are generous with their time and often with their money, and are good to their families. I have wondered why people like that who other than being white and male have no similarities Trump. A man who has spent much of his life ripping off people like that either through not paying contractors working for him, through his casinos, or through his many scams like Trump U. What I can figure is as some of the other posters noted Trump speaks to their ID and also speaks to their aspirations. His appeal is the same as that of Pro-Wrestling simplistic and bombastic with a literal overinflated view of masculinity. His appeal is the same as the get rich quick schemes run by characters like Tommy Vu, or pushed by Jordan Belfort of the Wolf of Wall Street. In all of these cases morality or ethics is an afterthought or a hindrance. The appeal whether it's coming from John Cena or Jordan Belfort is that there are these forces that can hold you down and we're going to beat them, in the latter literally..

Trump isn't the cause of this but he is a symptom of a culture that has moved from the image of manhood as John Ford's to celebrating people like Charlie Sheen. In a culture that is more interested in "Reality TV" than in actual reality it was almost inevitable that we would have a "Reality TV" President.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Trump is a poor person's idea of a rich person."

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Aaron Burr wouldn't even waste time challenging Trump to a duel he would just shoot him in the face.

jiggyfly, adoo, Rashmon and 4 others like this.
  14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Trump is a beta male's idea of an alpha male.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because they are hypocrites, and some are misogynists - thus it was made tougher for Hillary....Biden has this though.

DD

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Mr. Nichols spends a lot of ink stressing that he comes from and understands this culture. Maybe he's too close to it. Because he paints a very romanticized and unrealistic picture of a demographic who, after all, just put Trump into office. Looks like his reasoning is librul tears, but I don't believe it. I think the values of this working man demographic are not nearly as high-minded as he'd like to make out. I bet there are quite a few other unmanly but very Trumpian causes (even before Trump) that we'd find these same working man peeps were all for. Obama seems to embody a lot of what Nichols describes as manly, and they hated him. Hillary Clinton diagnosed them as deplorables at the outset. It was terrible politics, but I think she saw what this article fails to acknowledge -- this isn't Trump leveraging good people to support bad things. The sin is already in us and Trump is what we have made.

mikol13, Nook, dmoneybangbang and 7 others like this.
  17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unmanly as in, feminine, or unmanly as in - inhuman.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because all these men that talk about being masculine and "alpha" are really beta just like Trump

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth is that they feel he represents their values of conservatism. That old America is good, and new America is bad.

That the values of white Christians is what America is about, and that liberals are ruining this country. Women's rights, gay rights, minority rights - all are taking something away from them unfairly.

Trump is their hero to restore that. He defends their way of life - their freedom and their values. They see liberals as corrupt and against their values. Abortion, transgenderism, multiculturalism. globalism - all of these things to them are the devil.

RayRay10 likes this.