1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are smarter than this. I wonder why you pretend to not be.

The current daily death rate is a trailing indicator of the daily infection rate (which is another trailing indicator). The people who die today likely got infected 20+ days ago ... likely tested positive 10+ days ago, when they got admitted to the hospital ... likely showed their first signs of the infection 15+ days ago.

RayRay10, CometsWin and B-Bob like this.
  2. No Worries

Like the grown ass adults they are?

People in general are terrible at accessing risk and are not self aware enough to know this.

The people who survive this pandemic are sadly not going to have learned any lessons due to survivorship bias.

#442 No Worries, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually I believe you're the one playing dumb. You think daily infection rate is a good indicator? Can you not recognize that this is highly dependent on the amount of tests conducted? Then you try to claim there's another leading indicator for infection rate, yet you don't even mention what it is?

Come on, your logic is pathetic, likely because you are emotionally tied to your position.

4. bigtexxx

Look at this guy. So you have all the answers? We should all be good soldiers and lockdown, even despite very different risk for different people? If you're 80+ years old, are obese, have respiratory problems and heart problems, then you should definitely lockdown. If you're not any of those, your risk tolerance should be different, and you should take precautions to avoid high risk people. I don't want somebody of your level of thinking telling anybody what to do - you simply aren't exhibiting a capability to learn from new information. You're in no position to inform anybody.

5. No Worries

Project much?

BTW I am tied to The Science ... or should I say The So Called Science?

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Dr Gottlieb has been emphasizing hospitalization rate as a valid metric...

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. bigtexxx

You're tied to the science. Wow, I know you're trying to sound smart and informed, but claiming you're "tied to the science" means nothing when you cannot point to scientific evidence to support your position. You simply try to stifle discussion by claiming some moral high ground of being "tied to the science", whatever that means. I actually thought you'd be able to think more critically that you are demonstrating. You're essentially claiming people should take a medieval lockdown approach, regardless of risk. That's a laughable position.

8. No Worries

You can take your straw man argument and shove it up your ass.

Let me create a straw man argument for you. You want Grandma to die in order that your stock portfolio only has one down quarter this year because ... priorities.

#448 No Worries, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  9. No Worries

I could show you the science but you would find reasons to ignore it, so why bother?

All the science you need to know comes 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.

RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  10. No Worries

BTW I have not said this. It is the voices in your mind.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i guess I would argue, per my last post, they are not adults, psychologically. That might explain being against information and against expert advice, while throwing tantrums over polite cloth masks.

I called it earlier but we’ll see more of the following:

well now, they said it was the communovirus that got mom, but you can’t be sure. Didn’t cough that much actually, and they fake those numbers just to create fear. And they want to make ME feel guilty for taking the kids to the water slides in May, but THINK about it for a minute: my MOM stayed home! So how could she have caught it from the water park?! Probably just media Fear killed her, truth be told. If we’d a dragged her away from CNN & to the water park, she’d still be with us today. I sincerely believe that.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  12. bigtexxx

Where's the science? #putuporshutup

1918, yeah, we've learned nothing since then.

Your thinking really needs a lot of help - you're simply not basing your views on fact, logic and reason.

Gather yourself, man, you're spinning and lost.

13. No Worries

Social Distancing works. We have examples from the 1918 pandemic.

Social Distancing does not exclusively mean lockdown.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hospitalization rate in GA also rising...

New COVID-19 hospitalizations in Georgia back on the ris

https://www.11alive.com/article/new...-rise/85-bca8724b-b236-4d71-a0ea-db949df5eb5a

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

dont know who you’re arguing with, but much more importantly, don’t know why. Our minutes are precious and sources of frustration plentiful enough. I mean this kindly as a suggestion because most of us like your posts very much, but we all sound the same, with nothing very interesting, when responding to certain accounts, be they insincere or otherwise narrowed.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and No Worries like this.
  16. No Worries

Possibly someone I should put on ignore.

17. bigtexxx

probably a good idea for you, since you’ve struggled so much trying to defend yourself this morning. It’s better for you to go hide like the Beebster did.

18. No Worries

I won’t ignore you, but I will wait until you have a serious opinion.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Remember, you are responding to this guy:

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who doesn't wear a mask is acting in a criminal manner. To have so little concern for public safety is just so disappointing.

It takes two weeks to see the impact of anything when you consider the virus incubation period, testing, and disease spread. Also, the numbers in GA have been misreported.

I feel sorry for you that you have the need to spin a false narrative to feel good or win a debate. If you care about anyone but yourself, you should realize that someone you care about will likely die from this. But maybe you only care about yourself.

The virus and the deaths will spike again. The way to stop it wasn't to keep locking down - it was for everyone to start wearing masks. That would have contained it enough for us to get back to our lives. Sadly, the refusal by those like yourself will set us back months and months.

RayRay10 likes this.