1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New G-League Initiative - Return of the HS Phenom

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by gucci888, Apr 17, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

While the initiative to allow HS players go straight the G-Leagues isn't new, raising the salary to $500K is already proving to be a game changer. Top prospects in Jalen Green (#1) and Isiah Todd (#13) have already declared they'll be forgoing college and going pro. And now Greg Brown (#10) posted that he's received a G-League offer and considering the same. Todd decommitted from Michigan earlier this week and Brown, who is scheduled to announce April 24th, was heavily favored to land at UT.

While I understand the initiative, not sure I agree with the application. Watching HS phenoms like KD, Melo, AD, etc...at their respective schools and in the tourney was so much fun to watch. Same watching Lebron, T-Mac, Kobe, Dwight make the straight jump. Not sure how I feel potentially seeing a kid like Zion playing for the Delaware Blue Coats instead, even if just for one season.

2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

All depends on the national all star games including junior Olympics.

Most recently, Jarred Vanderbilt from houston made low key jump from high school to the nba after he got hurt at Kentucky, still got drafted in 2018 draft.

Vanderbilt played in Jordan classic nationals before Kentucky and Calipari.

3. rockets13champs

So now we’ll watch the GLeague playoffs more games. They’ll get the ball more, instead of those shitty college offenses which never give the top prospect the ball

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Yep. This is a game changer. Mo' Money. Hotter women. Better training. Mo' Basketball. No Classes. It's literally a no brainer. I don't see one reason to play college basketball.

The NCAA isn't done, but it's basically done. It's why even if the Cougars had won the title this year, I would have been excited, but I know deep down it's shallow because the talent pool is wiped out.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

personal decisions. every player's situation is different. it still won't be enough to overshadow the NCAA and what it brings. Unless every single player skips college, then the G-League will continue to be what it is and barely anyone will care. The full college experience and the madness thrill that comes with it in its entirety isn't capable of being duplicated by the G-League. A few kids going this route that the average person has never heard of doesn't change that.

#5 YOLO, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  6. gucci888

Ya those don’t really compare IMO.

7. gucci888

Hotter women? I’ll take the CoEds at USC and UT over the women of Sioux Falls. But the money and training in itself is huge.

Pat likes this.
  8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

When you say better training, maybe you sound disappointed in UT and A&M?

UT has been mediocre for the last ten years since Durant left. UT gained ground with Cameron Ridley and company five or six years ago.

A&M been mediocre since Donald Sloan, DeAndre Jordan, and acie law.

The east coast teams gonna keep NCAA strong, obviously Duke, Kentucky, unc, and Syracuse.

Quentin Grimes from uh should have went pro last year after Kansas.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

NCAA is overrated. If someone offered me 500k vs a free college meal plan, I'm sure I'll be taking the money. I would bet on the G-League. It's well run and has the backing of a behemoth.

10. gucci888

I’d say better training in that they’d be playing and practicing against better and seasoned talent all the way around. Think that holds true even if playing at a Duke, KU, Kentucky, etc...

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The one-and-done kids overall have not helped the college game. College coaches know that the one-and-done kids have to play big minutes, if they want to continue recruiting them. This hurts their team record and their post season tournament seatings.

The one-and-done kids also only have to be a student for a single fall semester, to get their eligibility for the spring. Student athletes? Not if they can help it.

12. gucci888

Greg Brown III ended up committing to Texas. Huge get for Shaka.

13. Buck Turgidson

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This is basically the NBA protecting themselves from having to draft kids out of high school. If they aren't that good at they fail in G-league it prevents the the teams from drafting them and whiffing on a first round pick.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Mina is correct. However, Duke won't have eyes without Zion either. It's mutual. But it won't matter to Zion. He's got mo' money in his pocket and no exams. The hype machine will still blow him up in a year. Duke didn't create Zion. Zion created Zion long before Duke was in the fold.