1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The History of the Seattle Mariners: A Six-Part Documentary

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SemisolidSnake, May 16, 2020.

1. SemisolidSnake

The History of the Seattle Mariners
    By Jon Bois and Alex Rubenstein
    via SB Nation

Many of you have probably seen a Jon Bois video at some point on Youtube. He makes incredibly interesting and engaging videos and documentaries about seemingly-bizarre sports topics. His style is unique: combining lots of graphs, statistics, and historical media research with deeply-touching story lines.

This is his magnum opus.

As a Houstonian and Astros fan, I am far removed from Seattle and its baseball team. Everybody is. And that is the point of this six-part documentary. In Seattle, the most remote baseball city, a fascinating team with the most bizarre history imaginable has managed to transcend the wins and losses that define most sports teams and become instead something more transcendent.

I found this series to be absolutely beautiful. Yes, I am recommending you watch all 200 minutes of it. Yeah, it's 3 hours, 20 minutes long. Jon Bois takes as long as he needs to tell the story he wants to tell as evidenced by his 93-minute masterpiece "The Bob Emergency: a study of athletes named Bob." It is an amazing ride, though, and I think you will be hooked whether or not you care about the Mariners, baseball, or even sports in general.

My link at the top leads to the full playlist.

And here are the six component videos. Give it a shot. I think you'll find it surprisingly heart-warming. You might even shed a few tears.

2. SemisolidSnake

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They couldn't knock that out with one episode?