1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Raiders CB Gareon Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Oct 21, 2019.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

2. gucci888

If Conley plays well this season and earns himself a new contract, then obviously a better use off the pick.

But if the Texans choose to let him walk due to play, I don’t see how the value was any better. The investment was equal and the outcome would be the same as well.

3. raining threes

They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Conley this year. IMHO

Was that worth a 3rd rd pick and making the final 8.

Can you tell me for sure anybody they drafted in the 3rd rd would be as good as Reid. That's the only way you can justify this trade. The 3rd rd pick could've been Rankin.

I will admit I like Conley so I'm ok with the trade of 1.5 yrs of Conley.

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. gucci888

Oh I’m good with the trade as well. But if for some reason Conley doesn’t work out and ends up being a short rental, I don’t see how it’s any better value than what we’ve gotten with our other 3rd round mishaps as of late.

We need to get better return on our mid-round draft picks.

raining threes likes this.
  5. raining threes

Reid was pretty good value.

6. gucci888

Reid was an excellent pick. Akins was decent this year too and we'll see about Greenard and Warring. But we’ve also had six other 3rd round picks in the BoB era, 5 of them never made past 2 years on the team. Just saying you really hope for starters or 2 deep players at the very least, guys that can contribute on the cheap for a few years. It's hard building any real depth otherwise.

csj likes this.
  7. raining threes

Agreed

Who was the GM during the time period you're referencing? That will give you a clue the issues.

Hopefully times down on Kirby have changed and they will start hitting on mid rd picks.