1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

How this financial disaster will affect individual organizations

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Apr 6, 2020.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I mentioned this in the minor league thread but it really doesn't fit there and thought maybe it would make for some good discussion

I think the financial situation in MLB is going to be very different when we get to next offseason, and that will be the case whether or not we have a season this year. Obviously there is no ticket or concession money coming in right now and even bigger there is no TV revenue coming in. What could actually be bigger than that though is many of these team owners are taking a huge financial hit outside of the baseball world also.

With a new CBA on the horizon I think the two sides coming to an agreement will be tougher than ever.

What I wonder about the most though, is how all of this will affect different organizations individually.

Astros: Jim Crane, most of his worth outside of the Astros is in freight and transport, an industry that is going strong right now

Rangers: Ray Davis, his wealth is in oil and gas which is taking a beating. In fact Energy Transfer, which he runs, has seen it's stock drop from over $25 a share to $15. His personal wealth has to be taking a beating.

I haven't taken the time to look at all of the 30 mlb owners, but I have to think this is going to hurt some franchises a lot more than others

I have to think it makes the likelyhood of getting Springer signed long term goes up. Not only should our owner fare better than a lot, the huge free agent contracts simply won't be there next year when he hits free agency. Add in the fact that he wont' be the best OF available in free agency (Betts) and I think there is a strong likelihood we keep George around