1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think he's hedging his bet. Anything under 100k and he will proclaim himself the hero. Anything within the range and he can say they had it under control and this was expected...and somehow ok.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

The turning point happened after two-week locking down in China.

It would be "a very good job" for US to have 200000 death..... the difference.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

"Are states bidding against each other for equipment?"

Trump: No

No Worries likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agreed with Dr. Fauci that it isn't really helpful to make predictions about how many might or are expected to die. Hopefully it falls under that number, it might also end up being higher than that number. Either way, the numbers could be wrong, and aren't really relevant in the directives to help us flatten the curve.

Both sides will make use of the projections. Anti-Trump people will use the projections to point out how horrible Trump is at handling the crisis. Trump supporters will accuse people of overreacting should the numbers not be reached.

I think the best way is that people point out one time and one time only what the possible range of infections and death might be. Point out that those numbers can be altered by folks following the social distancing rules, etc.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

“No one’s ever seen anything like it”

Trump says this a lot. He says it about everything.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I would want to ask Ivanka about that. Wait... no I wouldn't.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, the point of social distancing now is to keep 500,000 from dying. That's a big point and worthwhile.

But yes, the government has failed us in its first two months of confronting this. State and federal governments are doing better now, so it's going to be bad but not as bad as it might have been. (I hope.)

joshuaao and ElPigto like this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He believes that, I'm sure. As much as he isolates himself with like-minded group-think, sometimes in this job he can't escape everything about reality, and so he probably thinks nobody has ever seen anything like every single issue that comes across his desk.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

they dragged people from their homes, instituted draconian lockdowns, quarantines. It's just not possible here.

Nook and Corrosion like this.
  10. WNBA

WNBA Member

If I have the covid19, I'd be more than happy that someone can come and drag me to a hospital and give me free treatment and food until I recover. I'd even pay for it than waiting at home for the symptoms escalating and spreading the virus to the whole family.

Draconian lockdowns can save tremendous amount of lives.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I believe this was posted before. Tl;dr behold the power of math

My take...If the hospital infrastructure is like a financial system. Without containment and quick detection, infected would be like subprime tranches inside larger ABS.

But ofc, I wouldn’t mind if this is an oversell from their internal projections. math and statistics can be back tested, for better or worse...

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump will proclaim himself the hero no matter what.

Anything under 500,000 people will be saying ...

Anything under 5,000,000 people will make me king ...

Anything under 50,000,000 I will be made God Emperor ...

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What's the point ?

Well .... if you don't "social distance" ..... It could be much worse , for you and many others.

Common sense ?

Invisible Fan, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

it wasn't the scenario. The scenario was if anyone in your apartment had it, you all got dragged out. You, your wife and your neighbors. The place they took you did not have some huge stockpile of food, and you were then surrounded by a ton of people infected.

The choice you present is not the one the chinese people went through. anyone who spoke out the truth were arrested. It's almost like no one remembers 2 months ago.

Invisible Fan, Nook and Corrosion like this.
  15. WNBA

WNBA Member

Now you are spreading ridiculous rumors.

In China,
    When someone is tested positive, he will be dragged to hospital and get treatment there instead of self-quarantined at home like US are doing.

His family and neighbors and whole community will be in quarantine mode at home or in hotel for travelers. Food is not provided for this situation and no , they are not taken anywhere, simply because the sheer number is overwhelming for any local government.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. NewRoxFan

18. NewRoxFan

19. NewRoxFan

20. NewRoxFan