1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When your metaphor is so complicated that it sounds like a tertiary symptom of COVID...

[​IMG]

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I took their complaints as being directed toward politicians, not their administrators.

It also serves as motivation for the public to follow the guidelines (social distance, stay-home) more seriously.

It wouldn't surprise me if administrators were given direct orders from the government to keep everything internal.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I work in data, so I really geek out on dashboards like this. This is a pretty cool one.

One of my biggest pet peeves on this whole crisis is the amount of bad data is being spread around. Is there a worse metric than "total cases" as a data person? Probably not.

5. Major

Major Member

I agree with that - but that's the administrators' jobs, and I think hospitals and city officials and governors have been doing a pretty good job of getting this info out there. I don't think one doctor telling us they don't have proper PPE at their one hospital provides more information than entire states begging for equipment and talking about how all their hospitals don't have enough. It just makes for more exciting reporting and headlines.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. omgTHEpotential

Due to the asymptomatic carriers and limited testing, total cases are probably wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What kind of data do you work with?

That's what makes this thing so scary for everyone. Not the numbers you DO have, but the numbers you don't have. It's also what makes enacting restrictions so difficult for the pro-economy decision makers.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

sports analogy time!

total reported cases = ... total wins by pitcher? ... RBI? PPG in NBA?

9. omgTHEpotential

MVP titles for Harden.

10. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

So it is unacceptable for the Wuhan govt to have tried to silence a local doctor from being a whistleblower but it is okay for US institutions to do the same? These healthcare workers are protesting to whoever will listen. Clearly the system has failed them from the top down. Unless if we're working in a NYC hospital seeing COVID19 patients, it's easy for us to sit back and say, trust the system.

I have multiple healthcare friends in NYC and SF who confirm there is indeed a shortage of protective equipment. It isn't just a MSM conspiracy theory hoax and is a real concern. Many healthcare professionals in my social circle are having to resort to using personal funds and private donations to source PPE from factories in China themselves. I've personally donated several hundred dollars so far to friends to help order PPE because I don't want them to die from contracting COVID19 at work.

In some cases, I would agree with your logic but right now we can't trust the system when it is clearly broken, and I can't blame healthcare workers for not wanting to sacrifice their lives because of mismanagement. Also, keep in mind that if our healthcare workers get sick, they'll stop working and our capacity to treat COVID19 goes down so it is in everyone's best interest to get them properly equipped. We're the wealthiest nation in the world by far so there's no excuse why our healthcare workers are wearing garbage bags as gowns and recycling one-time-use facemasks for days.

11. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Umm, what on earth are you even talking about? Whistleblowers? A hoax? Everyone knows there's a lack of PPE. Governors and hospitals are talking about it daily. They are literally openly begging for more equipment and resources. These doctors aren't whistleblowers or exposing some secret no one knows about. And doctors going to the media isn't going to help them get PPE any more quickly. The administrators are already trying to get that stuff. That's their job.

#5012 Major, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Welp...my kids ain't learning **** this year.....

14. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Trump and our presidential administration continue to dismiss PPE shortages so clearly, the people leading this country, let alone everyone in the country, do not all believe that there actually is a PPE shortage. Sure governors and hospitals are talking about it, but what are they doing about it and are they doing it fast enough? A few of my social circles already have received shipments of N95 masks by using persona/private funds and reaching out to mask manufacturers themselves instead of waiting to see if administrators will or will not deliver in the future what they needed yesterday. If ordinary citizens can get results in their spare time and own savings, why can't administrators do the same when that is their job and they have way more resources? I don't want this to turn in a D&D topic and we clearly have different opinions on free speech rights for healthcare workers speaking up about PPE shortages so we can just agree to disagree.

As health care workers on the front lines of the coronavirus crisis warn about shortages of masks and other protective equipment, President Donald Trump insinuated over the weekend people might be taking masks from hospitals "out the back door," suggesting they might be being sold on the black market.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cuo...ect-trumps-claim-masks-back/story?id=69877209

#5014 Cokebabies, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    AroundTheWorld and Miracle like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anyone has the right to go to the media, it is the gawdman Doctors on the front lines.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Great time to be a (healthy) kid or non-violent elderly criminal. They're loving this.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Mazulis likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Governor Abbott has issued a statewide stay at home order except for essential services and activities. The order is in place from April 2nd until April 30th (unless extended) and schools will remain closed to in person attendance until May 4th. Below are more details from the press conference.

Governor Abbott Issues Executive Order, Implements Statewide Essential Services And Activities Protocols

AUSTIN - Governor Greg Abbott today issued an Executive Order implementing Essential Services and Activities Protocols for the entire state of Texas. The protocols direct all Texans to minimize non-essential gatherings and in-person contact with people who are not in the same household. The Governor’s Executive Order renews and amends his previous order enforcing federal social distancing guidelines for COVID-19, including closing schools and instructing Texans to avoid eating or drinking at bars and restaurants. The protocols allow exceptions for essential activities and services based on the Department of Homeland Security’s guidelines on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce. Examples of these essential services include healthcare, grocery stores, banking and financial services, utilities, child care for essential service employees, and government services.

Today’s Executive Order follows the decision by President Trump and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to enhance social distancing guidelines and extend the deadline for these guidelines to April 30th.

Governor Abbott was joined for the announcement by Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Commissioner John Hellerstedt, MD, Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) Chief Nim Kidd, and Texas Education Agency (TEA) Commissioner Mike Morath.

“Social distancing is our best tool in the fight against COVID-19, and the actions we have taken thus far have proven to be effective in limiting the spread of this virus,” said Governor Abbott. “Now it is time to redouble our efforts to reduce further exposure as much as possible and flatten the curve. As with all the actions the state is taking, the Essential Services and Activities Protocols is informed by the expertise and guidance of the CDC as well as state and local health officials. I urge my fellow Texans to heed these heightened social distancing directives to protect their health and the health of those around them. By following these guidelines, we will limit the spread of COVID-19 and overcome this challenge together.”

The Executive Order renews and expands the Governor's previous directive to minimize social gatherings and minimize contact with people who are not in the same household. It also renews the Governor's directive to avoid eating or drinking at bars, restaurants, and food courts, and visiting gyms or massage establishments, and it expands the order to include tattoo studios, piercing studios, and cosmetology salons.

In accordance with federal guidelines, people are still prohibited from visiting nursing home, state supported living centers, assisted living facilities, or long-term care facilities unless to provide critical assistance. Additionally, schools will remain temporarily closed to in-person classroom attendance through May 4, 2020.

This Executive Order does not prohibit people from accessing essential services or engaging in essential daily activities, such as going to the grocery store or gas station, providing or obtaining other essential services, hunting or fishing, or engaging in physical activity like jogging or bicycling, so long as the necessary precautions are maintained to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and to minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household. The order also includes exemption for religious services conducted in churches, congregations, and houses of worship. All critical infrastructure will remain operational, and government entities and businesses will continue providing essential services.

TDEM will maintain an online list of essential services specified in the Governor's Executive Order at www.tdem.texas.gov/essentialservices/. Other essential services may be added to this list with the approval of TDEM.

These orders will be effective on a statewide basis starting at 12:01 AM on April 2, 2020 and will end on April 30, 2020, subject to extension thereafter based on the status of COVID-19 in Texas and the recommendations of the CDC.

View the Governor's Executive Order.

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files...ce_and_Activity_COVID-19_IMAGE_03-31-2020.pdf

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

So...are there any staffing agencies or anything to apply for any of these mystical essential jobs?