1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. I just don't understand projections that say we can keep caseload to just 3% of American citizens (about 10 million total cases). I hope that can be true.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No one is saying we shouldn't do more trials. My source backs up what I've said. It's shown promise. Sorry you were too lazy to follow this story. I suggest you stop source begging. It's annoying and a weak argument method.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It does not. Your source shows only evidence that there were results in vitro. You claimed it had showed promised with humans. So you lied.

And your source recommended that it go to trial, which is what I had supported and you had disagreed with claiming it should be hoarded and used because "it's harmless". So you change your story once you are forced to look at a source, and it sounds like you didn't even read your own link.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Like I said that was a starting point for you. I haven't tracked down all of the studies for you bro but both experts in Italy and France, and some there places are looking into this. They are not just doing it because Trump mentioned it. And apart from the in vitro, there have been limited human tests and this has shown promise. Again no one is saying they shouldn't do further testing. Here is some more information to help you on your quest of knowledge. I think you're just trying to save face because you really want this medicine to have no merit, because you have an extreme personal bias against Trump who mentioned it. I think you need to learn to recognize confirmation bias in yourself before you judge something you know nothing about. Here is some more reading.

Regarding invitro and Chinese studies:
    https://umsu.ac.ir/uploads/229.pdf

7. biina

biina Member

Now we should trust Chinese sources?

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

jcf likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Good point but it's about all we got right now Biina. Take it with a grain of salt. Which is why, and very much obviously, more studies are needed. You do realze that credible scientists around the world are taking those seriously. There is some scientific reasoning behind it, apart from the few patients looked at in China in that study. Italian and French experts have weighed in and see the rationale because they understand cellular biology and how that medicine interacts. So there is some merit to this treatment. A treatment no one has claimed is a miracle cure so get your bee out of your bonnet. But you know, you make your own call. Some of the data is Chinese isn't it?

jcf likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

All I have stated consistently is that human controlled trials need to be done before anyone, Trump or YOU push this drug. That's all. I think it's reckless to push it with the evidence cited thus far. This is a drug that has side effects and safety concerns. Pushing it before a human trial is reckless at best.

Why you think I want to see this drug have no merit is just confusing. This is what makes you look like a Trump man, because anyone who pushes back against what he says all of a sudden only wants to see him fail.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

As for this drug, I am not pushing it. I've said I am optimistic about it. That is not pushing it. I've said people should listen to their doctors. I've said it's shown promise in initial studies and it has. I've said we should do more studies. Nothing about that is pushing it, or peddling as others have claimed. Here is another one of the studies. I've mentioned this one and I even acknowledged more is needed because all studies so far have been small and we simply need more. But that doesn't mean we can't raise our eye brows in these dark times and have a damn bit of optimism. But hey don't go out and take it. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. Listen to your doctor as always and obviously not the president.

https://www.mediterranee-infection....2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

12. biina

biina Member

This is not the first time Chloroquine is being explored as an antiviral e.g. it has been pursued even as a possible treatment of HIV.

The issue with your view is that all the hype about Chloroquine for Covid19 stems mainly from China with a single source from each of italy and France. Unfortunately, both those sources used dubious methodology, while some have even questioned the character of the French MD. Even then, the results are still highly questionable,

So while several people are exploring Chloroquine, several other drugs are also being pursued. AFAIK there has been no credible scientific result yet to say Chloroquine (or any other drug) is anymore effective than the other drugs being explored at this time.

Thus it is erroneous and dangerous for anyone to present Chloroquine as some leading candidate in the race cos less knowlegdeable individuals might end up using that misinformation in making decisions that puts the life of someone at risk.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why all she is saying that just because it is Chinatown doesn't mean you should stay away from it. She's trying to fight racism.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No thanks, I don't need to take it and certainly won't follow the advice of someone who isn't from the medical or scientific community.

I suggest you wait for the clinical trial to finish before you speak more on this: https://www.wbur.org/npr/824572119/...-anti-malaria-drug-effective-against-covid-19

dachuda86 likes this.
  16. WNBA

WNBA Member

fight racism? Of course our finest racists are finding attacks on her. instinct

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jopat/Hollic/Bobby confirmed!!!

(kidding.... maybe kidding... kinda kidding)

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Explored for HIV? That's not relevant. Also I never said there weren't reasons to question the studies and no one said it's the LEADING CANDIDATE. Bro, I've asked a number of questions about them and their methodology on this very forum. All that was said it hey I feel optimistic. Or hey the initial studies showed promise. No one is telling you to go out and get a script for it bro. Calm down. That's my opinion though. I feel optimistic about it still and you can argue all you want against that. But I'm not telling you to take it so chill out. Not sure why you're so pissy about it. I feel like you're framing my position as something its not and you're still holding to it for some reason. All you can really argue with me on is that I shouldn't have a feeling which is out of my control, but hey maybe I'm more of an optimist than you are and you can just deal with it bud.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No one is offering you the drug or suggesting you take it bro. Read closer. I said don't take it! Listen to your doctor.... I agree with you and Biina that more tests are needed so chill. And hey the more silence from you the better. Let's not discuss it further because I really don't understand your reason for talking about it anyway since you were completely unfamiliar with this topic apart from the Trump headlines.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

She's encouraging people to gather and spread the virus... that's why it's a problem. Has nothing to do with China other than the fact that there were probably some people there who came from the epicenter.