1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes ma'am, no doubt :)

400 degrees will kill most things.

I'm just laughing at the fact he/she answered the initial post like he/she knew the EXACT number.

He/she does NOT know.

The same person has already interacted with me previously with similar wack maggot-ness.

History repeats.

Yung-T, B-Bob and malakas like this.
  2. elrond

elrond Member

Yeah, I'm guessing they are still difficult to find in store, but there are DIY options linked from the articles I mentioned. I'm sure Google/Youtube will be able to turn up some as well. Probably not as good as purchased ones, but I figure it's better than nothing.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yes... it sucks our way of life has been temporarily put on hold. For me this is more of a vacation than stressful compared to some of my previous experiences. Do your best to avoid people, wash your hands, and protect your family as best you can. Even if you get it you will probably be fine.

This kind of thing is the reality for large parts of the world's population all the time. According to WHO a child dies of malaria every 2 minutes. Ebola is still rocking in parts of Africa, and Dengue Fever is alive and kicking in Asia and Latin America. I've traveled to some really sad places around the world. Nigeria still has polio.... The CDC even refers to part of Nigeria as the "meningitis belt".

I hope we limit the deaths from COVID 19 as much as possible. Then I pray we wake up an start making smarter decisions in this country. Like not having almost all of the IV bags for the US being made in a factory in Puerto Rico for a hurricane to destroy... oops already happened. Or maybe not relying on China to manufacture so much of our medicatons and other critical items. Don't worry though... our politicians will go back to their normal BS ASAP and sweep the important stuff under the rug until the next crisis.

Also... Hydroxychloroquine can cause retinal toxicity and blind you. I've been on the stuff before and had to go to an eye doctor regularly when I was taking it. Of course our govt has removed liability for the drug manufacturers.....

By the way... another kid just died of malaria since I started this.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I truly wonder how many people died in China. Opposition Iranian groups are reporting somewhere around 15k dead there. Their first "reported" case was 40 days ago and they were notoriously defiant with this virus. Reports of 15k-20k dead that came out early from China seem to be conservative at this point. The slope of our log graph for deaths has been consistent for a month. Italy's has taken about a month as well. China's leveled off after 5 or 6 days. It makes zero sense.

5. elrond

elrond Member

There are always ways to cook the books. If you die of other complications, or if you weren't able to get a test before you died, they won't count you in the official corona death toll. There have been recent articles talking about large numbers of urn shipments to funeral homes in china, since cremation is the standard burial method in China, and many people suspecting death tolls magnitudes higher than what has been reported.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/wuh...vernment-coronavirus-death-toll-is-low-2020-3

robbie380, Mazulis, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

Not sure why you choosing to be nasty with/about me. You're clearly being disingenuous about my position regarding quarantine and I don't see why my position that I will not stopping seeing my SO means I can't discuss US/Italian relations in this thread.

What a dick.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No, being a dick is breaking quarantine when everyone else is doing their part. This pandemic will last longer because of selfish and inconsiderate pricks like you.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, what a criminal. Seeing my SO. One whole other person daily. Are you going without yours? Yea, I didn’t think so.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Chloroquine is magnitudes more toxic than hydroxychloroquine. I'm shocked they're handing chloroquine out like candy. At least give out the less toxic stuff.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think covid-19 stealthy transmission is possible through unprotected ears, no other explanations to how health providers become infected with all protective measures. Eye protection/ppe n95 wearing from the parking lot before entering hospital barely making a difference

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Staying home is still the way. Make sure to keep track of the people you live with.
    Having roommates is a small risk.

Of course you can go out, but going alone and avoiding others.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I find it funny that Boris is basing his decisions on how many cases are in China or Asia.

Listen to your experts, Boris and you will fare better.

13. omgTHEpotential

This **** is infuriating. No 'thank you' to the doctors, all credit to prayers.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  14. Miracle

Miracle Member

Are you sure that WHO was providing an estimated true mortality rate rather than case mortality rate? Could you provide the source?

Here is an excerpt from WHO Situation Report on March 6th:

"While the true mortality of COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%, the infection mortality rate (the number of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower."

By the way, we both know that the true mortality rate depends on several factors and one of the most important being the capacity of the healthcare system. I believe the 0.5 - 1% number is based on the assumption that everyone who needs hospitalization can get it.

As far as I know there was no evidence that WHO withheld important information from Wuhan.

Statements like these are primarily political moves to shift the blames from themselves to the CCP & call for flow-backs of certain industries. Trump did the same thing as well. And they were successful because many people simply trust their own government much more than the CCP.

As a side remark, there is no doubt that the numbers within the Hubei province, especially within Wuhan, are inaccurate primarily due to limited testing capability / reluctance to test. But aren't the numbers in other countries inaccurate as well?

#4974 Miracle, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

My company asked my coworker to come to work even after he said that his sister w(he lives with and is an EMT) was exposed to someone with coronovirus. He doesnt have any symptoms. Its not that serious yall. Too much doom and gloom here.

16. omgTHEpotential

Do you think the companies prioritize their employees (who are replaceable) well-being, or the profits?

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes if it meant losing most of their employees being exposed to that one guy because of the exposure

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He probably thanked them too. Dude is just being thankful.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yesterday I was chatting online with a doctor and he said "The sh^t is starting to hit the fan" and he's in Saginaw, MI. Today we passed 3,000 deaths. Two days ago we were at 2,000 deaths. This is the wave that medical experts warned us and it's just beginning to crest. Before it's over all of us will probably be personally affected by this.

Some good news is that in Minnesota models are showing that social distance is working and Minnesota might weather this better than other states. The Imperial College greatly revised downward the potential number of deaths in the UK thanks to the Johnson government putting in place shelter in place. Wuhan appears to have turned the corner (yes we should be skeptical of PRC but if they haven't it will become obvious quickly) and even Italy appears to be making progress.

We have a long long way to go and it's going to get worse here in the US but there still reason for hope.

20. Asian Sensation

Bro... you’re supposed to lock your SO at your home, buy a bunch of guns, acquire at least 8 other random adults to stay with you on your property and nobody is allowed to leave the property at all for any reason. Not until master @Nook says you can free your people.

[​IMG]

It sounds absurd cause it is.

HTM and Nook like this.