1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow

Some states still don't have a stay-at-home order.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. elrond

elrond Member

Since I know there is a big stigma in the west against wearing masks, I figured I'd link to this website regarding masks.

The basic logic behind wearing a mask being a net positive should be fairly reasonable to anyone who stops to think about it, and it also has the added benefit of protecting others if you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier who unknowingly has the virus. Where I find the article interesting is that it goes more in depth about different droplet sizes, what part of the body they come from, and where Covid-19 has been detected in the respiratory system.

This website shows a chart comparing mask usage to infection rates in different countries, but I'd take it with a pretty big grain of salt for a few reasons. I believe (no official evidence) that Japan has been trying to keep numbers low via lack of testing or other means in order to keep the Olympics on track. However, now that they have been officially postponed, you are starting to see a large number of infections every day. Additionally, each country has handled the pandemic in different ways, so mask culture is just one among many variables on how fast things are spreading so it is hard to know what is the key factor. It's still interesting to see it plotted out on a chart though.
    https://www.maskssavelives.org/?fbclid=IwAR1uxGF8G_TFfdiAv24tq7zwuy_ZHbbPxjnXIrvXMMy5OU9i4VLN5tqqp3s

On a side note, no one should be listening to what the WHO is saying. They have been consistently slow to respond during the whole pandemic, and are probably in China's pocket to a certain extent. Evidently they are also fairly limited in the amount of information they can collect, and heavily rely on member countries to self report.

3. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The only problem I have is that I see a lot of seniors. Not just 1 day, each time I went out bicycling I see more seniors than young adults. I rarely see young male adults on the walking/bike paths mostly female (like 75%).

malakas likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Houston is also, supposedly, an 'overweight' city while SF-OAK is the complete opposite.

Perhaps THAT balances the distance factor.

SF-OAK is much more international with its airports... so, that factor doesn't help TX projections.

Time will tell everything.....

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

My friend's brother has been in China stucked for 3 months and isn't getting out yet. He is a 15 year employee from Continental to United. And from what I'm told he may not get paid during his time off.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This evening I was shooting some video of exercises for Judo players on some public stairs near where I work. My office is right on the Mississippi and a lot of people pass in front of it walking, jogging or taking selfies. While we were shooting an elderly gentleman came by watching us shoot and then he went right up to my coworker who was acting as cameraman, literally within inches of his face, to talk to him about how much he liked what we were doing.

Jontro and malakas like this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

This virus is so stressful regardless of illness, death, the economy, the lack of sports, the social distance, the inability to gather (bars, gyms, schools etc).

I'm pretty much paranoid of EVERYTHING I touch !!!

Paranoid EVERY TIME I touch my face !!!

The entire process of sanitizing everything, every time is LABOR.

Mazulis, Jontro and malakas like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

I haven’t even tried looking for a mask to purchase this whole time. I assumed/still assume they aren’t available.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Damn I hope narcolepsy and a loss of the concept of time isn't a new found symptom of Covid19 otherwise I am doomed.

Houstunna, Mazulis and RustyHarden like this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

12. malakas

malakas Member

Mazulis likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The RFA isn’t funded by the CIA anymore. Regardless of whether you believe the article, the CCP is notorious for lying and most international agencies have known the CCP under reported their deaths by many multiple of 10’s. Hell Boris Johnson is being laughed at for believing the CCP numbers when forming policy for his countries COVID19 response. Now as more information has been collected in the UK he is livid at the CCP.

Mazulis, Yung-T and malakas like this.
  14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

@Ziggy acted like he knew the temperature... YET, 'he' didn't say the temp, even AFTER he was asked.

He was WEAK in my opinion PRIOR to this exchange... and this further proves it.

There's ZERO reason to withhold knowledge in a time like this. We're ALL in this together.

Don't talk unless you can walk.

ClutchFans has notifications and he has posted (in this same thread) since my response 10+ hours ago.

15. malakas

malakas Member

That is the case mortality rate.
    The WHO is estimating still the true mortality rate to be around 3%.
    Other countries with their own models have different estimates.

Some like the UK who based their whole policies on models based on the Wuhan data are now pulling their hair out and are angry at China for lying- because they thought the true mortality rate was 1% - yeah just do herd immunity.

Boris Johnson's government is furious with China and believes it could have 40 times the number of coronavirus cases it says
    https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...vernment-reportedly-furious-with-china-2020-3

I don't know how they could have been so stupid.
    There is a reason that Who says what it says. It has been sleeping with the CCP for years now and has more of an idea of the reality.

Mazulis, Yung-T and Nook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure why you even respond. He has already stated he has and will continue to break quarantine because he is ignorant.

FWIW I haven’t heard anyone in the USA defend taking 500,000 test kits.

Mazulis, Yung-T and malakas like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Johnson is naive. Letting the Chinese have any involvement in developing their 5G network is a large mistake as well.

Mazulis, arkoe, NotInMyHouse and 2 others like this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

If you put it in the oven and roast it the virus will die. :D
    That's the failproof temperature. That's why the advice from the Health ministries is to cook well the food.

I saw some studies but the maximum temperature they tried was 37C.

daywalker02, Yung-T and Houstunna like this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Now listen to this.
    My country will start giving to people chloroqinue for prophylactic reasons!!!!
    We will only have to fill an online form, with our symptoms and will get it.

I don't like this at all.
    We are like lab rats. Why not let someone else do this clinical trial first before you start handing out chloroqinue?

Sure I don't think they do it for no reason, they must have found some good results. But still!

Yung-T and Nook like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Since they were so friendly with Huawei one would think they would have some information about the real data. But no.
    I think they were too preoccupied with Brexit and left it to the Imperial College.
    Just because someone is a world reknown epidemiologist it doesn't mean he is to be trusted. If the data he bases his model is completely bullcrap.

The Uk also refused to participate in a EU wide procurrument of ventilators where all EU countries bulk buy together to get them in more numbers and cheaper.

Nook likes this.