1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas company looking to dock stimulus money from paychecks, relieve their payroll: report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Mar 28, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-stimulus-money-company-paychecks

There has to be more to the story. If not I want to know what company is that. ****ing bullshit if you ask me

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If it works, Tilman all over that

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Gonna play devil's advocate here. ASSUMING this is to allow them to keep everyone on the payroll...is this such a bad thing?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tl;dr probably violates minimum wage law, probably trying to get around it by making it a "voluntary agreement" which probably wouldnt fly in court, though in Texas, they are perfectly justified in firing you if you complain.

#4 Ottomaton, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  5. jcf

jcf Member

Is that employer requiring the employees to work or are they at home still being paid? If I was the employer, I still wouldn't tried to grab the check but at least I could see the reasoning if the employer is coming out of pocket to pay the employees while the business is shut down.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A business stealing people's stimulus checks so in effect they get nothing?

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? You tell me.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see they are asking employees to agree to this. Are they threatening to fire people who don't agree with it? I really hope there is more to this story.

RayRay10 and Corrosion like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Regardless, companies are getting $500 billion in stimulus outside of what workers are getting. They should apply for assistance under that portion if they need help, not take the money allocated for workers

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Yes. The company has no right to anyone's personal assets, regardless of where it comes from. It's no different than a company saying you need to give them $1000.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Are you serious?

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

For now they are justified to fire you. However the pendulum is finally beginning to swing towards workers rights after many decades.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That sounds eerily like the mafia’s rationale for protection money. (Need more facts)

But if we ASSUME Carrier kept all them jobs in the US like all the other companies that received rebates from Corporate Stumulus Round 1 two years ago, that didn’t turn out great, did it?

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

JuanValdez likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good to hear. That said the executive for thought of this idea should be fired or at least have his pay docked. The amount of damage from public relations and legal ramifications could've been disastrous

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member