1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting an Asian Neighborhood During COVID

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

First I have said numerous times that the CCP is the worst and most dangerous government in the world.

Further, the virus started in Wuhan and I didn’t have an issue with it being referred to as the “WuHan virus” as we have referred to viruses in the past by point of origin. I certainly would not stop because of how thinned the CCP is. However is the experts want to refer to it as COVID19, then we should.

Further, Asians and Chinese Americans are not in anyway responsible for the actions of the CCP. Hell, Chinese Americans LEFT China to become Americans.

At this point, if we are going to play into stereotypes, I would be more fearful of Western Europeans or Muslims (as they are in many cases are still attending Mosque and meeting socially) or people under 21... they are routinely breaking quarantine.

Holding Asian Americans responsible is ignorant.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Might be me then.

Removed direct reference, since it could be anyone fanning the flames.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. I lived here for 20 years and it's rubbed off on me.

Nook likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's your right and there is nothing wrong with not going to a place that isn't clean. Gordon Ramsey is making a career of restaurants that are unsanitary. It's too bad Marvin Zindler isn't alive or you could call him.

As I've said before poor sanitation isn't Chinese Culture anymore than it is American. That is why I've said I trust Singaporean wet markets than American supermarkets. I certainly trust the public toilets in Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea and Japan way more than American ones.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

don't think so

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Getting back to an uncontroversial subject (maybe) what are people's favorite Bahn Mi? At Little Saigon the store in my video, they make a great roast pork Bahn Mi with char siu that they roast in house and bread that they bake daily. The best Bahn Mi I've had though was a place in SF that was a fried fish Bahn Mi.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Best Bahn Mi I have ever had wasn’t in Vietnam but in Houston. Vietnamese food in Houston is exceptional. I have traveled and lived many places.... Vietnam obviously was very good. Chicago and New York are good overall too. A lot of solid places in San Jose area too.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

I'm Muslim and virtually every masjid in Houston and Texas in general has closed down

Nook likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@Senator IF you're going to continue to blather on about China in every single post you make , please .... do it this way.

The way you come off now is nothing but vitriolic, racist , and ignorant.

Most Asian people in the states have nothing to do with china. This OP had nothing to do with China . I dont think your point about china is invalid, but what you said is wrong. Its closer to racist hysteria than substantive information.

Didnt mean to drag Sajan into this, but I thought he at least tried to raise this point in a thoughtful manner

Before you start talking about feelings again , know that in no way did your post offend me. I dont give a **** what an internet rando thinks, even if they are a CF member. I'm just trying to say man, you're coming off as an ass , and if you actually wanted to do your argument service you'd change your tone

Oh and as for OP , havent watched the vid yet.. maybe ill check it out sometime . I think asian business suffered early on , now everyone is suffering. We will see if people are still scared after we make it through the worst. My ( hopeful) guess is that things will go back to normal ( at least from that perspective ) . People still gonna like general tso's chicken / whatever haha

Sajan likes this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

I saw one of these getting scooped out of a tank, is that exotic enough for you? That aint no tilapia. It's an invasive species called a lionfish. Bon Appetit.

[​IMG]

11. adoo

adoo Member

don't know if u've been to a H Mart, it carries many chinese products.

case in point, in addition to Korean yam, it also sells American-style sweet potato, Chinese yam and Japanese yam.

i live close to a H-Mart, my go-to place for imported Vietnamese coffee, Chinese soy / oyster sauces and spices

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I had some pretty good food in Vietnam but I was dissapointed that some of the stuff including Bahn Mi I've had better in the US.

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know about Houston, only Chicago and the suburbs. The DA in a county up here has had numerous problems with some of the mosques breaking quarantine and also has had to break up large gatherings. I don’t know if that is the case other places.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There is a Mosque down the street from me and I don't know for sure if they've stopped service but judging by lack of traffic on my block at prayer times I think they have.

15. Buck Turgidson

Lionfish are tasty. All of the biologists and fishermen who are fighting their population explosion in the Gulf wish people would eat a lot more of them.

It would be infinitely better for you than the average asian farm-raised tilapia, which filter filthy water and are fed goose and duck ****

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sunday school has been closed for about 3 weeks and most local mosques have been closed for a couple of weeks. You should report any that have not.

17. SemisolidSnake

Yep. I mean, we do have a lot of Korean restaurants at Gessner and Long Point, and the street signs are in Chinese down in Bellaire, but Houston has much more diffusion what it comes to culture and food than other cities, and that's just the way I like it. I always brag to stuck up NYC folk that I can drive 5-10 minutes and get any type of ethnic food I want, just as good as anything they think they have, and pay a fraction of the price. And I've been to NYC enough to know that's true.

Also, many of the non-obvious restaurants around you might have an Asian owner if you're in Houston and probably elsewhere. And that means they probably have some badass dishes from their culture hiding on their menu. My introduction to Korean food was from the burger place I used to go to (no longer exists, sadly). The cajun and fried fish place near my ex makes the best fried rice I know of, and that's what we always get when we go there.

And we did eat Chinese take out the other day. Because we like the place and it's relatively close to us and we felt like Chinese. Now's a good time to get to know or revisit the places in each of our limited radii of function at the moment. And if you feel like Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc., if you're in Houston, I bet there's something within 5-10 minutes of you. See if they're taking orders.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looks like a batfish to me.

WTF are you eating batfish, breh? Trying to get another pandemic started???

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Dude, really? Your getting your pantys in a bunch over Lionfish?

There are fish that white caucasians eat that trump the Lionfish. In fact, up and down the East Coast people eat the Snakehead fish, an invasive species found in the Potomac River in Washington DC metro area. Its served as a delicacy in restaurants

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've heard that they are tasty and an invasive species. Have never tried one. Next time I see them on the menu I'll give it a try.