1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. omgTHEpotential

Just posting an article headline, lol.

2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

There are two type of fatality rate. I can’t recall the name given to them but the meaning are as follow. Case fatality (death / actual cases) and normal fatality rate (death / actual cases + undetected cases). I’m not totally sure what rate is being referred to here. If it’s case fatality, then it makes sense that the rate is reduced with more testing (more detection of cases that otherwise would be missed). That’s one factor. The other is capacity of hospital. Both case and normal fatality jump once hospital starts to get overwhelmed. Another factor is the general health of the population. My non medical opinion: Those with severe covid19 seems to be taxed to a limit - like running a marathon or multiple sprint for hours to days. If the lung failure doesn’t get you, the other failures may still get you when your system can no longer handle the load. I’m sure there many other factors that we don’t fully understand yet.

Earlier detection with strong tracing also yield less spread... for Germany, it would be good to see what their R0, spread factor where 1 is 1 person spread to 1 more person) is and compare that to others. But we have already seen strong evidences that wide spread testing combined with strong tracing allow society to operate in a less locked down condition —- which also directly impact their and the world economy.

Houstunna, CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  3. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

daywalker02 and Astrodome like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Meanwhile, Mr. Crocodile and his family of baby crocodiles, "Thank You for the Bounty Lord, as we gather here before this table, we pause to give thanks for the bounty as they drop dead like flies on the earth from which this meal came forth. We give thanks also for our miniature hands that harvested it, prepared it, and now serve it.

5. Miracle

Miracle Member

There were 9 million people in Wuhan under quarantine and another 5 million came out of it during the two weeks before the quarantine, according to an interview of the mayor at the beginning of the quarantine. In 2019, Wuhan had 11.21 milion resident population -- which is the number of people who lived in the city for over half a year.

#4885 Miracle, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I know.... the person who wrote the article is probably getting the death penalty at minimum if he were to ever go to Thailand

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like hundred thousands had inside info that it would come to a state wide lockdown.........

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Starbury has really stepped up as he's gotten older. He's a legit good dude

#4889 rockbox, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He loves China but inside he is a New York (Coney Island) boy.

Mazulis likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If I'm reading the data correctly, shocked to see San Francisco (a very dense but proactive city, virus-wise) has fewer cases (300-something) than either Dallas or Houston (400-something). I think there's been more testing out here as well.

Hopefully all my TX buddies can take the social distancing seriously. I think it has really helped out here so far.

Houstunna and CCity Zero like this.
  12. TMac'n

The City of Houston area is much larger in size when compared to just the City of San Francisco. I think population wise too. So I don't think it's a good comparison (apples to apples, vs apples to oranges)

Houstunna and Astrodome like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Per my question/comment about Germany earlier. Or S. Korea. Or wherever such a "wow" thing might be....

I guess we're REALLY seeing the impact of successful "act early" policy. I mean it makes sense I guess... exponential growth is exponential, lol. If you seriously slow that down early, you get on top of things. CA if I recall, specifically one of the county judges or the like in SF/Bay Area seriously started quarantine type measures before basically anyone except Seattle area...

Houstunna and B-Bob like this.
  14. TMac'n

Florida gonna Florida, Coronas for everyone

15. likestohypeguy

TMac'n likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

get a money clip ?

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

China is a lying ass country. 5 deaths yesterday. Ok :rolleyes:

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, total population, timing, public policy, population density, testing rates, crowded mass transit, and many other factors are very different.

taken all together, I found it surprising and potentially alarming. Have many elderly relatives in TX.

19. omgTHEpotential

"Only" 4,012 new confirmed cases in Italy today. It's slowing down there. Still a long way to go though. Spain is also starting to decelerate. Lockdowns and sitting at home helps. I wish they instituted a lockdown here in my country... Instead we're flying our people back from all around the world.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So is Harris, FT Bend, etc. going to extend their stay safe, work at home like Trump did for the nation yesterday? If they don't there will be lots of people heading back to work a week from today.

deb4rockets likes this.