1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I am actually in Florida now - kinda got stuck here when everything blew up. We are all in the same boat - this is affecting us all and people we all know are getting sick. I too wish you the best.

My argument isn't that it was racist before and now it isn't racist. My point is that calling the China virus has a stigma attached to it. Unfortunately in this world it fosters hate against people of Chinese or Asian origins. So many friends I know have faced comments or actions since this developed. They aren't used to it.

My point is that the WHO created a name to eliminate that stigma, and the media has gone along with it. To continue to call it a "China Virus" when it is known that there is such a stigma and many Asians around the world, including Asian Americans, are facing racist attacks (not just verbal), seems wrong, doesn't it?

jboslett and malakas like this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Some slightly positive news out of Taipei, gyms and basketball courts are open again. In Shanghai as well...so all these pent up folks can get some exercise. Not in Beijing though. Apparently it might still take a while. F*ck me...

If there’s anything we can take from some of the places in recovery, it’s this: Being responsible is IMPORTANT. Social distancing, hygiene, whatever. I understand that our government can’t be as heavy-handed as China’s (thankfully) and I also understand that maybe on average we don’t follow instructions as well as those in Taiwan, Singapore, or SKorea, but we can beat this. Maybe things can’t really return to normal until a vaccine is developed, but if we follow the example of some other places we can at least control the spread.

And yet, my cuz and his friends back home in Queens decided to attend a Coronavirus house party. This is in the heart of the epidemic, mind you. I’m beyond disappointed in him for that.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

She like every other paper had requested social distancing be put in place. Why would that result in her being denied entry?

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't have an answer .... there's probably more to it. I can't imagine they would exclude her for no reason.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The governor is doing other idiotic things...

We went out with our friends on their boat today. Perfectly “legal”. However, if we went in our boat and followed them, we would have to tie up to them or anchor no closer than 50 feet away.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Then they would give a reason no? They also told another reporter if they insisted on her being able to come they'd ban them too.

Maybe it is what it is, DeSantis being petty. This isn't the only thing he is acting badly about. Florida is a mess with they way this whole thing is being handled. He's trying to blame New York on Florida problems, but Florida has an international airport that links to Europe and the rest of the country.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know what to make of it .... on the surface it appears bad for DeSantis.

BUT there are always three sides to a story - his , hers and somewhere in between lies the truth and only one side wrote the article so .... if you want to buy it as the gospel truth , gopher it.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes attacks and harassment of Asians over this is increasing and abetted by those who continue to insist on calling it the "Chinese Virus". In Midland a family was stabbed over this two weeks ago. Just today I saw an "America First!; PatriotFront.us" sticker infront of a Chinese store and Hmong Cultural center in St. Paul.

As this crisis drags out, more economic hardship happens and more people just start getting sick of being at home it will become easy to scapegoat and as we see there's a lot of people who already want to exact revenge on the PRC. It's already happening that there are those who want to exact revenge on those they think are Chinese.

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Look, I don't know what the "in-between" could possibly be. But it is incredibly unusual to ban a reporter from a press conference. To my knowledge this has happened only with Trump.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's why I believe there has to be something more to this than what the writer of that article is telling us.

It is highly unusual and I'm just not buying her request to practice social distancing is the reason they told her to get out. Not when its almost certain they are doing what she requested to begin with.

There's got to be more to it than "she asked for .... nothing"

13. biina

biina Member

From what I have read, it is possible there was some history between beyond her asking for social distancing (might have asked questions DeSanctis didn't like and would explain her reference to 'questions not being answered'), but the excuse given for not letting her in is that they were practicing social distancing and reducing the number of reporters allowed.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A reporter should never be disallowed to a press conference without a legit reason. I'm sorry, I think you are speculating.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Of course I'm speculating , it doesn't make any sense. Has to be something more to it than what we've been told.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not only are MAGA supporters doubling down. Besides calling this a hoax, they're now accusing healthcare workers for hoarding masks...

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Share a link. I havent heard about these MAGA supporters yet.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump accusation... later suggesting the numbers are in the hundreds of thousands...

Perhaps basing on Cuomo saying some masks appear to have been stolen, weeks ago...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/peo...asks-from-local-hospitals-gov-cuomo-says.html

Note no where suggesting in anything near the numbers trump suggests...

but of course, trump supporters will agree with and amplify anything he says:

No Worries likes this.
  19. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile... despite trump reversing course and extending the guidelines at least through end of April... falwell opens up liberty university...

Liberty University Brings Back Its Students, and Coronavirus Fears, Too
    The decision by the school’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr., to partly reopen his evangelical university enraged residents of Lynchburg, Va. Then students started getting sick.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-liberty-university-falwell.html