1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You are the one claiming it was made by the Chinese. I am asking where is the proof.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have clarified this position many times. The Chinese themselves put this forward in an academic paper. And it MIGHT by man made or from a bat. I just want something definitive. I think it's very early to claim either and regardless, China purposefully let it out to other countries. We know this because of the timing of their actions versus the seriousness of the disease and its effects they knew about.

It is, as I have said before, very likely this is natural and they just lost control of it and this is the CCP's shining Chernobyl moment.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yes they did...

February 2nd

Oxiris Barbot, New York City Health Commissioner: The risk to New Yorkers for coronavirus is low and our preparedness as a city is very high. There is no reason not to take the subway, not to take the bus, not to go out to your favorite restaurant, and certainly not to miss the parade next Sunday. I'm going to be there.

"Take the subway. Go to dinner." People cheer. They feel good about themselves. Future generations, though, are going to watch that video with their jaws open in disbelief. How could someone charged with protecting public health so recklessly endanger it?

They will watch this performance from State Sen. John Liu, too. Liu suggested that people who might be concerned in any way about contracting a deadly disease or who might be interested in where it came from must be -- and you guessed it -- bigots.

Leaders in New York not only failed to shield their citizens from it, they took affirmative and aggressive steps to increase the risk to their population.

State Sen. John Liu, D-N.Y.: But there's really no need to panic and to avoid activities that we always do as New Yorkers. We are hardy people. As an Asian-American, I've been somewhat disturbed, if not outright appalled, at some of the comments or gestures that I have seen. Diseases originate from anywhere or from particular places in the world.

In other words, as a member of a protected interest group, I'm ordering you to ignore this threat to your family on moral grounds. Go to the parade, or else. That's what Liu was saying.

Let's hope that in the wake of this disaster -- after John Liu has lost his job, and we can all think clearly again -- people will stop talking this way in public for good. It was always the most brutal form of social control, masquerading as sensitivity and caring.

Now, we know it was infecting the public with disease. But at the time, sentiments like this were universal among big city public officials. State Sen. Brian Kavanagh, for example, decided to embark on a crusade against what he called misinformation -- a euphemism, as it so often is, for accurate information.

Kavanagh encouraged people to head to Chinatown for a festival.

State Sen. Brian Kavanagh, D-N.Y.: It's very important that we recognize that this holiday and this festival is of tremendous significance for many communities in our state. And it is very important that we ensure that we don't have misinformation, and many in the media have been covering this issue as if it's, you know, a terrible plague that people have to avoid.

"If you don't go to a crowded public place immediately, you're racist." Look at those people telling you that, demanding that you do that. Hectoring you, badgering you, exerting moral blackmail on you to expose yourself.

By early March, coronavirus was clearly becoming a major problem in the United States. But for elected officials in New York, the only problem was their constituents' racist worries about staying alive.

On March 2nd -- this March 2nd -- Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted this: "Since I'm encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives, plus get out on the town, despite coronavirus, I thought it would offer some suggestions. Here's the first. Thru Thursday, go see "The Traitor." If "The Wire" was a true story plus set in Italy, it would be this film."

That's right, go to a movie theater immediately. You must.

A week later de Blasio was still encouraging New Yorkers to live it up and mingle in large groups. On March 11th, which, keep in mind, was barely two weeks ago, de Blasio was still insisting that "If you're not sick, you should be going about your life."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuc...t-being-called-racist-than-coronavirus-threat

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Never underestimate Trump's incompetence.

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

My bad I got you and senator mixed up. Still don’t know you replied to my post especially since it was a direct reply to senator who made a claim it was Chinese made. I asked for proof of his claim. So I don’t see why you replied to my post.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump's stupidity or dishonesty in display...

ROCKSS, Blatz, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

#1129 Rashmon, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    joshuaao and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  10. No Worries

On Thursday evening, The New York Times explained how Trump completely blew off an all-but-complete deal to have GM manufacture thousands of desperately needed ventilators while refusing to invoke the Defense Production Act. But on Friday, Trump demanded—demanded—that GM get right on with making ventilators, apparently for free. Only Trump addressed that demand to a Twitter account that wasn’t GM. And he ordered them to use a factory that they sold months ago.

All bow to the Twitter in Chief

#1130 No Worries, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It gives me a warm feeling that we have a moron as the leader of the greatest country on earth. Got damn, I'm glad I didn't vote for this ****er.

12. No Worries

13. No Worries

And the outrage prompted by his statement to Hannity last night at least proves we're not all imagining the cruel and stupid things he's saying.

DONALD TRUMP: I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said for some areas are just bigger than they're going to be. I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, at a major hospital sometimes they'll have two ventilators. All of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"

"Look, it's a very bad situation. We haven't seen anything like it. But the end result is we gotta get back to work and I think we can start by opening up certain parts of the country.

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Bizarre... trump pulled out of the deal with GM because of the costs... so NOW he declares this? And, why not also name Ford?

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We don't negotiate with terrorist...err corporations. On the real glad to see he's doing what needs to be done.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cease and desist watching your YouTube recommended feed. It's frying your brain.

17. biina

biina Member

I advise you go and read the actual papers and stop relying on 2nd hand info. I don't need someone summarizing for me what I already know.

BTW a new paper, based on what one would call an actual study, but of small sample and out of same China that started it, says Chloroquine is in effective
    http://www.zjujournals.com/med/CN/10.3785/j.issn.1008-9292.2020.03.03

But I am sure some people have already made their fortunes, while others have gotten the much shorter end of the stick, all thanks to misinformation spread by people like you and Trump.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Imagine how stupid you'd feel if you not only voted for him, but then spent 4 years on the internet or whatever trying to argue that he was not a catastrophic idiot as either a trollish Chum bucket heaver or a hilariously puckish Boomer douchebag.

I bet those people will feel super smart two weeks from now when this is all done

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

I think the fastest way to get ventilators is GM buying from China or even buying a factory there. GM have good relationship with Chinese government. Also Tesla and Apple. They can buy it much faster than
    CCP has reversed the course in one month. Lets see how shining this Trump moment is and for how long. Hope the racism he spreads could help.

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

Agree with Trump on GM. How could GM say no?