1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Build hospitals in 6 days? Are you serious?
    How many companies in America have the capabilities to that? In China, because of thier systems and construction abilities, they are capable. Heck they built cities from scratch. Also how long do you think it takes to train new nurses and others to run the hospital?

amaru likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Science is a method but it is about forming the best conclusion possible with the knowledge at hand through that process. And when you go contrary to those conclusions without knowing the facts, it means you are thinking more like they did 200 years ago rather than today.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes the biggest problem is that we still have no idea how wide spread this is. Widespread testing should've been the first thing that was done but it's too late for that.

I agree to that the economy is tied to the health effects and you're right, the economic damage is real and I think it's going to get worse. I don't think we've seen the bottom of this stock market slide. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If we shut down everything we see economic damage and eventually human harm as supply chains suffer and critical work is put off. People lose jobs and pay, can't make bills and so on. Also if people can't work, can't go to bars, clubs, out to eat, etc.., are stuck at home that's going to take a psychological toll. It sounds morbid but I could see a spike in suicides and domestic abuse if this goes on longer.

As for the people angry at the government this isn't about sympathy. It's about people who already distrust the government, suspect that there are sinister forces out to control them and take away their freedom and don't believe this is as serious as it is. Also here in the US we have the added problem that people like that tend to have a lot of guns and judging by ammo sales are already stocking up.

4. Buck Turgidson

Also, but less serious, pretty sure I saw that divorce rates skyrocketed in China during/after the quarantine.

5. jcf

jcf Member

My guess is that between unemployment and direct payments, some (i know not all) who live paycheck to paycheck will be ok. There are also small business owners who are going to pay their employees even as they quit paying themselves. Those folks are going to hurt if this goes for an extended period.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Government officials take longer than that to respond to an email. The only thing I see happening in 6 days is Trump congratulating himself another 60 times for how great of a job he is doing.

jboslett, arkoe, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, the one good thing is that because of Trump's terrible handling of this crisis it is likely that the virus will run its course through the US population faster than if we had done widespread testing. More people will die - potentially 10's of thousands more or even more, but once this thing has infected 50 percent of the population, it has to go onto the downward slope. It might be more important eventually to test who has antibodies to the virus versus who in currently infected.

The other piece of the puzzle is mutations. What happens if multiple strains develop from this? Now, it could be that once infected with one strain the next one becomes like the seasonal flu lets hope, or it could be another wave.

But at some point, life does have to go on, and we will have to live with this virus because we are not going to be in lockdown mode for 18 months. I think 8 weeks before people are allowed to get back to semi-normal lives

I think the markets will recover - and might be close to bottoming out. I can't imagine the markets dropping too low unless companies start failing in important industries. You have to figure that fears have priced a lot of the worst in, but who knows, it could be near the bottom or another 10-20% left to drop.

I do not think this will be a sustained recession. I think once things get back to normal, the economy will recover.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This could be done with a massive mobilization in the right place. They cleared ground zero in 8 months and that was a much more difficult and dangerous operation. But the amount they did in the first 30 days or so was formidable.

#2268 SamFisher, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder how long they will wait to stop passenger flights completely.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If this was the case back in early Feb...

But that 1/3 left...

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great line I heard on TV regarding social-distancing and staying home...

We need to manage what’s unavoidable so we can avoid what’s unmanageable

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Our military industrial complex absolutely has the infrastructure, engineering, manpower, and funding to do this.

Full blown hospitals... no. Make shift triage centers to separate covid only cases”... yes.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No one is capable of building a "Hospital" in 6 days. It's impossible period.

There is just too damn much that goes into it - I've been involved in the construction of several over the years ....

You couldn't even retrofit an existing structure within that time period and be in compliance with existing code. Even that is a six month process.

The materials and tolerances for the various systems are far different from any other structure ....

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Temporary tent hospitals can be thrown together in like a day by the military and we probably have dozens in stock.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The cure - Isolation is worse for the economy than the disease , that's for certain. People not working .... people not spending.

But if you let this thing go unchecked as you say - you run the risk of this not being isolated in history , see SARS which we havent seen a case of since 2004 .... it'll just cycle thru hosts , mutate and continue , much like the flu. It could kill for decades ....

Locking it down now seems the best course of action - people just need to take it seriously for a short term to put an end to it.

Two weeks and its over as long as you stop the spread. For every new case , that time frame gets pushed back two weeks.

Just stay home and away from people ....

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How long did it take to create centers for housing hundreds if not thousands of kids in cages when it suited this administration?

Nobody thinks the military can build a Memorial Herman in 6 days but they absolutely can create triage centers outside of large hospitals where a few hundred patients at a time can be treated outside of the main building to quarantine and treat. In the summer time in states like Texas it’ll be difficult to create a comfortable environment but military base type of buildings are absolutely doable.

the11mingdynasty and RayRay10 like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Meh, that is amateur hour compared to Senator Kelly Loeffler (R-GA)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-k...-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing?ref=home

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus.

“Appreciate today’s briefing from the President’s top health officials on the novel coronavirus outbreak,” she tweeted about the briefing at the time.

That first transaction was a sale of stock in the company Resideo Technologies worth between $50,001 and $100,000. The company’s stock price has fallen by more than half since then, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average overall has shed approximately 10,000 points, dropping about a third of its value.

It was the first of 29 stock transactions that Loeffler and her husband made through mid-February, all but two of which were sales. One of Loeffler’s two purchases was stock worth between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, a technology company that offers teleworking software and which has seen a small bump in its stock price since Loeffler bought in as a result of coronavirus-induced market turmoil

So Loeffler gets the Dump &Pump win here.

She (1) attended the briefing on how bad COVID19 was,

(2)Traded off the information,

(3) put out dangerous, misleading tweets downplaying COVID19,

(4) while going long on work at home related stocks.

That probably really won her some Trump points.
    It's a triple fraud score in scumbag Scrabble. She should be indicted and impeached today for this ****. You could take this post and put it before a grand jury and they'd be done in 5 minutes

There. Is. No. Bottom.

#2277 SamFisher, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My thought is that you are doing the very best you can to minimize the risk. That's all you can do.

I've ordered food out a couple of times at this point and have thought, the what ifs. Hell, going to the grocery store I am exposing myself. I think about the produce I am grabbing, the can I grab, etc and everything is exposed.

I do my best to minimize the risk but we have to accept that we can only have so much control over. This virus is highly contagious and the reality is that a vaccine or a medicine that can reduce it's effects won't likely be available any time soon. There is also the reality that we won't be able to be lock down forever. I don't even understand how that is feasible. Unless we go back to the ways of hunters and gatherers, the majority of us will just have to accept the fact that we will be going back to a world that is going to have this virus.

The best we can do is practice good hygiene and I guess change our social patterns. Quite frankly, from a long term sacrifice, I don't know if I personally can do that. I love doing things that would probably expose me (play basketball, go to the movies, concerts, traveling, etc). Long term sacrifice for me, will probably not be possible because it will eventually lead me to deep depression. If we can't control this, at some point we will all be asking ourselves how much risk are we willing to take.

Short term, I am good with what we have done. My hope is that we are able to slow down this enough that our healthcare system will be ahead at some point.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Hundreds of thousands of "Kids" .... they didn't make housing for a hundred thousand total did they ? Much less a hundred thousand kids.

They could erect a MFH unit ... in short order but that's a far cry from a hospital.

I'm telling you from experience that you couldn't retrofit an existing structure to pass code within months.

I have been project lead on multiple hospitals when I was a union fitter - it's a big task.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I don’t know if tent hospitals would be able to treat Coronavirus patients.