1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Be careful, as I'm sure you will. At least you have a mask. We have surgical gloves, but masks are still impossible to get. At least I've yet to find any. I'm supposed to get 20 in about 3 weeks. I'll believe it when I see them. I don't know when we'll see our two kids. At least they're grown.

malakas and Yung-T like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think they're trying to temper expectations and saying that there's no drug coming "tomorrow". lol.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hot off the presses

Snow cone lady told me that the president was going to declare martial law and anyone who was caught going anywhere but the doctor or the grocery store would go to an internment camp....

5. malakas

malakas Member

There IS a genetic factor at play.
    Some people from birth have more ACE2 receptors in their lungs. The virus connects to these receptors and it means they are more susceptible to infection and also get it worse.

In China too there were whole families who were killed like one of a famous director. He, his parents and his child all died.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Before a patient is included in a clinical trial of an experimental drug or an experimental cocktail they sign a consent form. Or their legal guardians do.
    The hospitals too who try these act in accordance to their CDC.

Here our CDC contacted the company and also does their clinical trial with this drug.
    But yesterday they said that the results haven't been doing well.
    They seemed more enthusiastic with the chloroqinue.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That is funny, I have been hearing rumors like that as well. While the possibility of shutting all private sector down except for essentials is looking more likely, nobody is going to an internment camp

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Snowcone Lady don't play. She gets all the gossip.

[​IMG]

Yung-T, marky :) and davidio840 like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Every virus causes immunnity for different lengths. Some for life others for only a little bit.

So far we are only sure that the immunity with this new virus is 40 days.

Looking at past coronaviruses the maximum immunity is 1 year, but even then if people get exposed again, they get infected but they don't show symptoms.

There IS still some little immunity left, not like now where everyone is like a virgin in front of a pervert.

This means that there will be challenges on a new vaccine ( you will have to get shots every year)

BUT the tests we have now only show who is infected NOW and not those who have recovered and immune.

If we develop such tests that show who is immune they can be sent back to work so our society gets back in its feet.

*Strangely in contrast to what this man is saying I was sure I read a while ago somewhere, that these tests were already developed?

Yung-T likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

4k new cases in one day, we are now officially on a one way train to destination f*cked!

Yung-T and BaselineFade like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Well the head of the doctors union in France said their quarantine will last 1 to 2 months.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's good to have hard numbers, but it's established that the true number of infected is shockingly higher. Think more in the range of 250k - 1 million.

Nook, Yung-T, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  13. Exiled

Exiled Member

I'm not in a disagreement with you , just maybe thinking out loud bc I haven't seen a single covid infected human in person yet.
    I do support all pharmacologicall inactive substances to be widely available to the public for the time being in hope we have better assessment for near future

malakas likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Amazon suspending shipments of nonessential items to warehouses

Amazon is suspending shipments of nonessential items to its warehouses in the United States and United Kingdom following shortages triggered by the coronavirus outbreak.

"We are seeing increased online shopping and as a result some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock," a spokesperson for the online retail giant said in a statement to The Hill Tuesday. "With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so we can more quickly receive, restock and ship these products to customers."

Yung-T, Deckard and malakas like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

I saw the data from the first 2k italian deaths and sadly they werent using chloroqinue, according to their CDC.

Also unfortunately because of the wide publicity the french study had , lots of housewives here went to the pharmacy and bought chloroqinue over the counter.
    Now from today it became here subscription only.
    Chloroqinue is a very toxic drug as you have described. It's not for personal use and it's not prophylactic. (not even for malaria anymore).

I thought of buying it too since 2 months ago when the first chinese studies were published, but I have some medical knowledge and I never considered self medicating on it because I'm not insane.

Back then I had predicted an immediate collapse of the greek healthcare system and the only reason it hasn't happened yet was because of the strict measures the state took.

Yung-T and Exiled like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You may jump off a cliff once testing actually ramps up. You're only discovering what's already out there for the most part.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Eh - what you or I say about it on a message board doesn't change whatever it really is. There is a reality of what it is and if we're seeing the same # of illnesses with 1000x as many people truly infected, that's probably a good thing for the future of the world. Taken to the extreme, if this thing has already infected 5 billion people, we would be in great shape right now because it means that this is almost over and the damage wasn't horrible, relatively speaking. On the other hand, if the known cases really are almost all the cases out there, it means this thing is, in fact, multiplying exponentially - even in places on lockdown - and killing horrible large numbers of people.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know, it's just still a thing to see the numbers roll in for some reason lol.

My assumptions are, if we are hoping this thing has a death rate around .005%, and we have 187 deaths, that would be 37k cases, and if all testing is inherently a week behind, it's probably closer to 70k cases as we speak. So I don't see it being 250k to a million right now, but who knows due to our testing, perhaps there is hoards of dead who are positive that aren't being tested.

What's really standing out to me right now is Germany. 15k cases, only 44 deaths. That's a .003% death rate. Very impressive. Austria and Norway are also impressive.

malakas and KingCheetah like this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Germany pre pandemic had 28k ICU beds and 20k ventilators and they are expanding it fast.
    In comparison the whole of the UK has 4k ICU beds.
    The issue with Germany is that they lack doctors but this will show later on, when/if they get overwhelmed.

An ICU bed and a ventilator is the difference between life and death to the vast majority of cases that need hospitalisation.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member