1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

South Carolina Debate Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by baller4life315, Feb 25, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So far Bernie has shown that he is not bringing new voters to the polls so that is a narrative that has not panned out.

So we cater to bernie and his followers because they are rabid and will take there ball and go home?

What about the majority of voters who want somebody else, Sanders has yet to crack 35% support on a national level, what about that other 65%?

Yes they will scare off some traditional voters especially the older black voters who are the ones that turn out consistently.

Lets see how Sanders does in SC before we start treating him with kid gloves especially since he has not really gotten the scrutiny as a front runner.

And lastly why should there be an issue with a brokered convention when Bernie himself was shooting for one in 2016?

Isn't he the principled one who does not change his beliefs?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't advocate catering to anyone. I presented what I believe to be a problem and that I'm not sure about the solution. I'm not advocating treating anyone with kid gloves.

Bernie's support among young voters is larger than the other candidates. Young voters are less reliable to show up. Bernie offers the potential to bring those new voters to the polls.

The issue with a brokered convention would be that If Bernie had the most delegates of all the candidates but somehow didn't end up the nominee, it would add on to people's resentment of the DNC and the way they violated their own policies in their treatment of Bernie in 2016. It would also mean that the youth vote would go back to being unreliable and not a spot of possible increased support for the Democratic candidate.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The youth vote is still unreliable as evidence with their turnout in all three contest, so why cater to them and turn off the reliable voters?

I get what you are saying but I seem to only be worried about the youth vote as if they are the key to everything, the youth vote is not the only way to increase support how about the suburban moms which were the key to flipping the house.

Biden's support among older black women is larger than other candidates and they are the most reliable voting blockband them not turning out was a big reason Trump was elected.

I hear what you are saying and I don't want you to think I don't care about the youth vote I just don't think that is the main priority necessarily.

I will say that the question you are asking is very important and I don't know the answer either but if Sanders was actually driving increased voter turnout I would be very swayed.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

We haven’t seen this massive voter turnout (yet)

FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that it is unreliable. I was speaking of potential. But at the same time, the young voters who do vote still favor Sanders.

To count on the youth vote to show up in numbers far greater than normal is a huge risk. But it is one thing that could pay off. It is something that Sanders a shot at that other candidates don't to varying degrees.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i.e., "Vote for Bernie. He will be ineffective."

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member