1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Trump for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roc Paint, May 22, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Yes, the position that Trump will abide, even if begrudgingly, by the results of the 2020 election and allow for the peaceful transition of power, as every President in the history of the country has done (barring death or resignation) is the unhinged position.

I've always thought "Trump is going to crown himself Emperor" or "Trump is going to become a dictator" type talk as unhinged. I would have thought the peaceful transition of power in Congress in 2018 would allay such nonsense but here we are.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not saying it could not happen I just don't think it could happen under this circumstance, the military leadership does not particularly like Trump and I don't think enough Grunts like him as well.

Now as for police that would be on a county by county basis.

I really don't think the military or police are willing to go to war for Trump which is my main point.

King1 and Nook like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does the Justice department have to do with the military?

The rank and file of the Justice dept are not Trump allies.

You have yet to answer the question how does he enact marshall law when the leadership of the Military and Police forces are not all in the tank for Trump.

Do you really think those institutions are ready to start a civil war for Trump.

Who is going to take marching orders from Barr to pick up a gun?

King1 likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you understand the concept of a slippery slope? That's what is happening here.

What are the checks on Trump's power (or any president for that matter). Let's list them

1. Congress
    2. The courts
    3. The Justice Department
    4. The loyalty of those who serve in the federal gov't being towards to country, not a man
    5. The Press

The senate is in his pocket and ok's everything he does - even impeachable offenses. He gets away with foreign election interference. He is packing the courts with loyalists as well as his administration - people who serve him not the country in high positions who have decision making power. The Justice department has wilted and that means he can't be investigated nor held accountable for any kind of overreach.

The Police is always going to be locally run of course, but the military is under his command. If Trump asks the military to station itself in cities in order to serve as "peacemakers" do you think the police will do anything to interfere with the military? No! The military will be acting under federal authority and no mayor is going to tell the police to fire on the military. Instead, people will protest and the police will be there to control those protests and thus actually unwittingly serve Trump.

The military is not going to revolt against an emergency order to maintain a quarantine if there is a perceived national medical emergency.

There will be no civil war. There may not be much violence if any even. Democracy can die with a whimper.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The military will not be in his command if he loses the election.

The military is not in lock step with Trump why would they station themselves in cities if loses the election?

I notice you keep not answering this question.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

1. Trump can mobile the military PRIOR to the election if there is a national emergency (coronavirus is a good pretext)
    2. Even if Trump loses the Military is still under his command for a few more months
    3. Trump will claim he did not lose but actually won and in this age of misinformation it might create enough doubt that people do believe he won. In a contested election he hasn't lost by virtue of it being contested.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Per the Posse Comitatus Act, the armed forces cannot be deployed domestically. I expect he'd get significant pushback from his generals. The president can deploy the National Guard, but I believe he needs consent from the relevant governors.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, if Trump loses, he will claim "there were various irregularities, illegals voting (sometimes two or three times, millions of them), a total rig job by the Deep State" etcetera etcetera. You can guarantee it. Not even a question.

The day after the inauguration, which would have to be done in some high school gym, the military will have to go in and root him out from the White House.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He could easily force the resignation of any general who did not comply with his order.

He has already violated the Posse Comitatus Act when he sent the military to patrol the border and perform law enforcement duties - and he got away with it. He could order this and it would have to go through the courts, and ultimately the Supreme Court which is in his pocket. Also, by the time it would get there it may be too late.

I don't think you understand - there is no check on his power anymore. Impeachment has proved that to everyone including him.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Stock Market is taking a double dose of bad news. 1) Corona Virus will slow the economy 2) A recession would lead to Bernie Sanders becoming president.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is true.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's true he doesn't have accountability. It's a little different to contend that he can find whatever compliance he needs to do these gross overreaches you suggest. He needs to move the military up a complicity staircase, building on minor violations of how they understand their duty to larger and larger ones. They are at most only a couple of steps up. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think he can get them to the top of the stairs by November.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No he could not.

No he did not.

If the generals don't obey his orders all of this is moot and the generals don't like him.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's not hard to see this happening quickly. He is the commander in chief. He has already deployed the military for law enforcement purposes on US soil without much resistance. He is able to remove any one who opposes him with impunity.

If the coronavirus is disrupting the country, and Trump decides to deploy the military to "maintain order during a national emergency" I doubt the military pushes back. It is an unprecedented crisis this country is facing where 100's of thousands of people could die in a short period of time. It will cause chaos. Chaos is the ladder to the top of the staircase.

JuanValdez likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yes. A strong military depends on a strong chain of command. Soldiers do their duty - that is how the military can succeed. How many soldiers pushed back to being deployed on US soil to police the border when Trump ordered it?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Som you do think the military is the borg and any loyalties can be forgotten just because a guy is fired

Or do you think the military does not have internet and would just follow orders blindly.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think the military will do what they are asked to do by their chain of command. And that's not a dig at the military but a testament to their training.

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Hello, how will Trump fare today?