1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good hustle, good effort.

I too am just staying positive. I will say however that this made me re-evaluate the entire series (and not just because it turned the Skywalker Saga into the Emporer Palpatine Saga). I think I really only liked 4 of the 9 movies. I can enjoy all 9, but only if I properly prepare myself to view those 5 ones I don't like. That is interesting because some folks IRL think I'm a Star Wars superfan because I know a lot about it, when in reality I just lack muscle mass and was a virgin for a long time and therefore have had time to read/watch lots of SW ****.

Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

DCkid likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

mikol13 and Jontro like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

200 years before phantom menace... so basically yoda is already a jedi master. smart move, new story but they get to keep 1 favorite character.

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Oh too bad it wasn’t earlier so we can see teenage Yoda. It could be Riverdale meets Star Wars.

Jontro likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m excited to see what Disney can do now that they can get away from the sky walker stories. I think they will knock it out of the park.

now they just need to do DBZ.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what's DBZ?

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Dragon Ball.

disney actually has the live action rights now from the Fox buyout because of that one terrible movie that was made a decade ago.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Finally watched this. 7/10 is fair. I wouldn't bother watching it anytime soon though.

It was a safe movie like playing bowling with the rails on. Chewie staying dead would've been a good shock to the system. More Muppets than cg Yodas this time around. The massive reinforcements of "just people" vs 1000x First Order fleet scene was kinda hard to swallow. Leia being a Jedi to retcon Poppins Leia was decent... But totally ignored that she never mentioned it one bit as a general, and she never gloated about kicking her legendary brother's ass.

It's like they raided the suggestion box rammed full of complaints and made 2 movies clipped and mashed into one.

I thought 8 was a decent movie in of itself but a total troll movie for fans. Skipping from 7 to 9 just validates the complaints and I hope they have better vision next time rather than passing the series around like whoever driving is no bfd.

The question to 8 was, if they gave rj a couple hundred million without the franchise name, would he be on a troll crusade that would more or less be an FU to an otherwise "captive" audience? Nah I think he'd make every penny count because he'd have to earn the audience rather than expose fickle money paying masses to his finer tastes in art...

I wanted to like the characters more. Rey and Kylo were decent. Kylo's redemption matched the scars healing, much like the sw video games where going to the dark side showed more deformities or the opposite. Everyone else? I think Finn's hard on for Rey was the secret? That didn't work out or the pairing with his female counterpart. Lando was a spare part, but if he got the medal instead of dead chewie at the end, wouldn't that mean more? Like draw up some more plays for Billy D, if you're benching Rose and the other side characters...

So in typical JJ Abrams blunt-in-your-head fashion, Rei followed Luke's bloodline journey while Kylo followed Anakin's journey, yippee.

It's too bad Benny the Bull didn't come back from 8 to redeem himself.. They brought back that cg glasses lady when I'm thinking she should've been around more for eight. Why was she so magical again?

It's like the directors were siblings who didn't like sharing toys so yuppie mommy had to buy the same toy for each brat.

Did Leia send a spirit bomb to Kylo during that fight scene? That was the turning point for the entire movie, but the problem with reading the force light-years away, it's like watching them smell out a fart. If I was standing next to Leia and she looked like that, I wouldn't think she's going to die soon.... Probably just wanted to take a dump.

Btw, just like the Muppets over CG rule, I'm thinking they were more respectful to Carrie Fischer then they could've been. I was expecting more face grafting like that flashback scene, but it was fine. The lack of good exposition for Leia was not.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

For people wondering what would please the geeks, one big thing (outside of keeping the characters true) is whether the new trilogy would add anything new or lasting. I guess 30 years later you now have ships that act like mini death stars and some abomination that can swallow up a sun and destroy popular planets for no good reason.

I guess the old trilogy brought the clone wars and purple lightsabers but it didn't remove fan favorites as ways to mess around with "sacred cows".

I can't say much mystery, lore, or world building was added to the canon. A movie watcher might think who cares, but expecting a bit more in this case would likely have given us a better trilogy instead of a wasted opportunity

Blatz and Yung-T like this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The secret is him being force-sensitive, it's explained in the movie novel thing.
    No idea why he'd only tell Rey in that situation and not before, as it adds nothing to that moment in the movie.

mikol13 likes this.
  12. MadMax

My best guess is because with all the media outlets available (comics, Disney+, movies, etc) you're gonna see the further adventures of Finn.

13. Invisible Fan

Did I get this right? All Kylo Ben needed from the very beginning was the power of love?

So many lives snuffed out because Leia and Hans kid wasn't a looker.

The fan theories are better. Since Rey put him in the friendzone from the very beginning, maybe he wanted to officially announce his bromance with his work wife.

#433 Invisible Fan, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think they are listening to the ratings and reviews. The two best movies have been about the characters, and the best series was a slow paced western. So instead of an epic disaster impacting the entire universe, maybe they should focus on a characters journey. The movies that went xtreme were not well received. Just dial it back and get back to the characters.

Yung-T and Blatz like this.
  16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Kinda off topic but I watched Rogue One again yesterday and I gotta say that was one hell of a movie. I can't believe I overlooked it the first time I saw it.

17. MadMax

I rewatch it periodically. I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I grew up with the original trilogy...but it is my favorite Star Wars movie.

mikol13, JunkyardDwg and htownrox1 like this.
  18. droxford

droxford Member

Rogue One has a strong female lead character without having in-your-face feminism. The dialogue has an excellent blend of seriousness and humor without being too cheesy with either. It has connections and throwbacks to the original movies, without repeating the same old story. It breaks Hollywood formula by having all heroes die, yet they accomplish their mission and you feel a sense of victory. It shows Vader kicking ass in ways that we like to see and blends in perfectly with Episode IV.

They have had the creators of Rogue One become the creators of Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker.

mikol13, MadMax, Blatz and 1 other person like this.
  19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Rogue One probably slots right below Empire Strikes Back for me. Absolutely incredible movie.

mikol13 and MadMax like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It turned out really good despite production issues.

MadMax likes this.