1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tour De Houston 2019

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Riz, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Congratulations. I haven't ridden for a few years now due to a series of non-bicycle relate injuries, but I've done a few cycling tours. What type bike are you using?

3. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I used to ride a lot more often than I do now, but I'm trying to get back to riding since I'm hoping to do MS 150 next year if everything works out! I have a road bike (Vilano Forza - 24 speed)

4. Falcons Talon

Nice! MS 150 is something I would like to do after I retire in a few years. What's your longest ride? I've completed the Jalapeno 100, The Corpus Christi Conquer the Coast 66 mile, and the annual Pedal to Padre 35 mile course, but like I've said, it's been a few years. I was ready to start cycling again at the beginning of the new year, and I ordered a 2018 Specialized Roubaix, but a few days before it arrived, I injured my hamstring. I can't wait to try it out.

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

The anticipation you must be feeling! Congrats on all these tours! I'm new to endurance riding so I have almost no experience. I would have been nice to ride with you so you can share your expertise with me! I've done around 30 mile leisure rides in groups but that's about it.

6. Falcons Talon

Thanks, but I'm no expert.

I am pretty excited to take the Roubaix for a spin, but I'm still recovering from that hammy injury.

I was on an Allez before getting the Roubaix, and my first roadbike was an XL Denali. That sucker was heavy.

If you can find a group to draft with, that can help cut through the wind. when its in your face. Best advice I can give is stay hydrated, keep your electrolytes up, and maybe take some perpetuam powder ( https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem) in some snack size zip bags to mix in your second water bottle.

It's been a while since I cycled in Houston. My girlfriend and I loved cycling through Buffalo Bayou and downtown when we stayed up in Houston for the summer.

#6 Falcons Talon, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  7. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Thanks for tips! Hope you're able to get on your Roubiax soon.

8. Falcons Talon

Thanks man. Good luck on your ride. It's still a few months away so it should give you plenty of time to train.

Oh, and something I do on the longer rides is I map out the rest stops. Not everyone does, but i like to know if I have a short distance between rest stops or a long stretch. It really puts my mind at ease knowing when to expect a break.

9. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

It's actually next month on March 17th. Regarding the rest stops, I do plan on mapping it out. I also like to have something to look forward to. There are 3 stops in the 40 mile route, I just have to see if they're evenly separated.

10. Falcons Talon

Do you know if it has cutoff times?

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Just came across this thread and the 2020 TDH is March 15th. Interested to hear about people's experience with this ride in the past. Thinking I'll ride the 40 mile route this year.