1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Viruses can be scary.

My evil stepmom was sick (vomit and, uh, the other end) after a family reunion. Miserable. We chalked it up to food poisoning.

Well, I wish. Anyone who entered their condo (hers and Dad's) wound up with her stomach flu (norovirus). I was careful not to touch anything. Didn't matter. When she was, uh, expelling, that was like an aerosol. Airborne.

I got back to Texas. Two days later, sick. Two days after that, my wife was sick. Other family members on their way home to California and Arkansas from that family reunion were even sicker than I got.

No, not the same thing as coronavirus, but I learned just how contagious a virus can be. If the coronavirus is anything like that bug that got spread around my family.....?

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Buy a ticket that you can cancel within 24 hours to show him/her.

malakas likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What idiot names their son, Dick Pound?

King1, OmegaSupreme, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chloroquine is an immunosuppressant when it isnt killing parasites, so in all likelihood you are just preventing your own immune response from killing you via cytokine storm.

malakas likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Telling your doctor that you are traveling to Wuhan next week might be more effective ;)

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got the noravirus a few years back. I'm sure it came from a dessert shop.
    I went to the clinic and i got tested. then they told me to stay away from people and they had to report the incident to the county since it was a contagious virus. They asked me if i went on a cruise ship recently.

Yeah that thing was horrible.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

He knows what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing!

Richard William Duncan "Dick" Pound

"Please don't call me Richard or William or (even) Duncan. I prefer to go by Dick. Dick Pound."

8. tinman

Supporting Member

South Korea is testing 200,000 members of a doomsday church linked to more than 60% of its coronavirus cases
    @Os Trigonum
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sou...eonji-cult-member-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-2

The church was set up in 1984 by Lee Man-hee and now has nearly 250,000 members, mostly in South Korea. Its teachings explicitly predict the end of the world, in which only a few will be saved.

Lee says he is the second coming of Jesus Christ and can take 144,000 people to heaven with him on Judgment Day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#828 tinman, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

It is prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and mainly for malaria protection.

You only need to say you are travelling to a maralria infected area.
    Latin America ,India, Indonesia, Africa.

I do not plan to take the drug anyway unless I get pneumonia and under the doctors/hospitals' supervision.

I am only buying it because if lets say 50% of the country gets infected then who knows if there is even any available.

Many countries are already out of masks which they were supposed to have hundreds of storehouses of.

What about an antimalaria drug?
    I dont even know if this country is keeping a large stock of that.
    It is an extremely old drug and is not widely used nowadays because there is little need.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I thought the South Koreans were the ones who aren't brain washed

How did this dude convince 200K he's Jesus?
    And if he was Jesus wouldn't he know that b**** coughing up a storm without a mask got the Wuhan Virus?
    @J.R.

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  11. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/25/cdc-coronavirus-test/

There's no coronavirus in the US if you don't test!

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure the relevance of that - I'm saying people will spread conspiracies on anything and giving something credibility because "other people believe it" is stupid. These Korean doomsday culters are another example.

Not from crazy people on the internet.

malakas likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

No, I'm saying you should know something about the thing you're fighting before taking arbitrary actions. A couple of deaths does not equal mass panic, shutting down all major gatherings, quarantines (you're the one that said no quarantine was inexcusable), etc.

You should, for example, know it transmits before telling people to take actions to stop it from transmitting.

They knew tons about this thing when the cruise ship got hit, and it still spread all over that thing even with everyone taking precautions. They *still* don't know how it spread there. They don't know how long to quarantine people. They don't know why people who seemed fine suddenly are not. That's after months of research. Not everything bad has to be someone's fault, and there's nothing to suggest other countries would have responded any differently than China.

Again, if you think this thing was going to be stopped if only China had told people to wear masks and wash their hands in December, you're crazy.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

HATED that ****. Had to go to the eye doctor all the time to have some visual field test done while on it.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It might not have eliminated it/stopped it etc., but it sure as hell would have helped prevent the spread during Chinese New Years, and also helped allow more time for the top researchers in the world to study it.

For example... , knowing a month or two ahead might help to understand that 14 days isn't a long enough quarantine etc etc. Being secretive and requiring a whistle-blower (just like Sars) did no one any favors (not even China).

malakas likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Norovirus is kind of similar in the fact it can spread/shed(ie you're contagious) prior to symptoms, but fortunately the incubation period is only 12-48 hours, so it's in a sense... Better than this, with that said Noro is awful

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Exponential growth will sneak up on you like nothing else.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I take it you’re a grower, not a show-er?

gotta hand it to China.....this seems much more effective than the one child policy.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

CHILL!

Everyone just chill.

When the weather warms up the virus will go away. It’s true.

I know this because I heard it from a genius. A very stable genius. If you can’t believe a very stable genius, who can you believe?

Rest easy people. You and your family are safe. God bless America.