1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Absolutely. I also think he doesn’t want anyone else to be seen as a “good guy” in this situation.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What? THAT was huge of Gerrit to speak those words. It's also arguable he's had less success than any of those players. They've got an MVP, HR champs, multiple SS's, and a ROY while Cole has only earned a single ERA and Strikeout Title. THAT was huge of Gerrit.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah..no. F**k Fiers

Just like steroids back in the day, there's a reason things like this aren't made public, and a reason society loathes snitches in most cases.

Things that happen in the locker room are supposed to stay there. Him and Sipp even told their new teammates that stuff like this was happening, and it still stayed private because players know it isn't their place to betray confidence. It takes a real POS to participate in a crime, and then be disgruntled because his cut of the score wasn't big enough. If he's in the rotation during the playoffs, this never, ever comes out. If he were truly a shining beacon, this would have been made public early in 2017, not years later.

Players complained to the league..privately, exactly the way they should. The league is the one that f**ked everything up by burying their head in the sand.

4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

What pisses me off is that Fiers gets to say "I just want to move on and focus on baseball". But the Astros player's don't get to cop out like that.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All Fiers is is a hypocritical little ***** ass rat.

[​IMG]

The Beard, Jake Tower, King1 and 2 others like this.
  6. msn

msn Member

Ouch.

King1, RayRay10 and Houstunna like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yup........ he is known as a cheater within the game.

I don't expect everyone to take my word for it, but the level of hypocrisy on this whole issue is amazing to me..... It reminds me of when Jesse Jackson was sent to counsel Bill Clinton after the Monica Lewinsky affair........ when Jackson was paying off abortions and mistresses left and right.

It is baseball, it is a very human game and players cheat left and right.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Seriously... screw Fiers

RayRay10 and King1 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

former Atlanta Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone revealed that even former pitching star John Smoltz was not above using pine tar to gain an illicit advantage during his career.

“One time Smoltzy had it on his shoes and I said, ‘John, you can’t keep bending over and touching your shoes all the time. Let’s put it someplace else!’” he said. “I know that in my little ball bag I had firm grip and all kinds of goodies to take care of a baseball to get a little more movement on it.”

BigM, mikol13, SS0101 and 4 others like this.
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Cheating is part of baseball. The real reason players are outraged is because they didn't think of it first, and like always were behind the Astros.

BigShasta and RayRay10 like this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That's completely false, several teams did this well before the 2017 astros

msn, RayRay10, King1 and 2 others like this.
  12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

In fact didn't Beltran say their system for stealing sings was behind the times?

msn, King1 and everyday eddie like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The Red Sox were using Apple watches to cheat. If you believe what some of the players suspect, the Dodgers have had even more complicated sign stealing antics.

joshuaao, msn, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  14. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Sad but this is still not really being reported much, doesn't fit the narrative. :rolleyes:

15. HookemHorns1250

Really...happy that Cole did that. You're right, it's not going to make any headlines. Now if he said there was a chance we cheated in '18-'19, there would be a a breaking news on every sports outlet.

Interesting to see him say that though with quite a few players on that team accusing us of wearing buzzers as recently as '19.

Let me reiterate for those that say "You cheated, you deal with it." If you want to talk about '17, go for it! All we ask is fair journalism. Don't just ignore comments like Coles just because it doesn't fit your stupid narrative.

#3135 HookemHorns1250, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    joshuaao, msn, Rock Block and 3 others like this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Cole also said he didn't see any cheating in 2018, but we know they were doing it then. So I'm not sure how much value his statement has.

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Correa said there was no real time relaying of signs in 2018. Apparently just use of the replay room for their Codebreaker program in the first part of 2018.

18. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Really?

Who cares about truth? That's not the point. Cole could've said the earth is flat or the Hamburglar is real and it would've been a headline but this interview, crickets.....

Yet the NATIONAL media and everyone else RAN with the hoax Reddit story of buzzers that was conjured up from a bunch of nut-headed moronic no life pimple faced punks that caused a meanlingness feeding-frenzy YET this story from a CURRENT MLB player that was WITH the Astros in 2018 and 2019, that now PLAYS for the YANKEES can't get a sniff of ESPN headlines???

It has ZERO to do with whether or not it's true. It doesn't fan the flames of the "burning" BS narrative that we are now Satan on earth THAT'S why.

19. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Exactly. The hypocrisy is off the charts.

Yes we cheated, it sucks, I'm not happy, Yes they did this to themselves. I was pissed off and still am that they did it to this extent but for gods sake, its baseball. The Astros weren't throwing newborn puppies and babies off tall buildings.

Unfortunately this is the new societal and social media culture we live in. One that allows a continued trampling of the one(s) to be "canceled out", facts be damned!

Continually emboldened by the hyena media, the weakest of the weak are crawling out their holes to nibble a piece of flesh off the rotting carcass in the sun. It's disgusting.

I'm not religious, more spiritual, but I know there are proverbs that warn of this kind of treatment of your fellow humans who have sinned or made grave ill and it usually doesnt end good for those people. The more I think about it the more I believe all of this, at somepoint, will "come out in the wash".

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.