1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Presidents have generally just retired after serving their terms, especially after FDR. They write. They "run" foundations. With Obama a youngish ex-president vacating at 56 years old, I've always thought it must be weird to be such an accomplished person now doing nothing very special for the next couple of decades. For Buttigieg all the more if he became president, retiring at 47. Sure you can get rich writing books, giving speeches, and doing consulting; you can still be a political actor by lending your gravitas to other candidates and issues. But there seems to be a reluctance to put yourself out there and do the next big thing -- I suppose everything is seen as a step down from being president.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think Trump will buckle that trend in terms of inserting his opinion often.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's being straight up honest .... None of these proposals solve the problem. None of them take into account bad people doing bad things just don't care about the rule of law.

The only real solution to active shooters is Zero Guns and that's a near impossibility in this country requiring the elimination of the 2nd amendment.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Jimmy Carter (who I actually think is an apt comp to Pete) dedicated his life post-presidency to noble causes like the eradication of the guinea worm disease.

JuanValdez likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

#806 B-Bob, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    ThatBoyNick and AleksandarN like this.
  7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Pete and Liz have destroyed today’s debate

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't disagree with that statement .... its pretty factual , they were the two best.

My only complaint (to them) is that they did so at the expense of Klobuchar and Bloomberg instead of taking down Bernie who just stayed out of the fray for the most part.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

"#1 place to live out the American dream right now is Denmark" - Pete Buttigieg

Denmark has a single-payer healthcare system, tuition-free college, universal childcare, paid family leave (for childbirth, sickness, and vacations).

So which candidates are proposing policies most similar to the place Pete believes is the #1 place to live the American dream? Bernie and Warren.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Going after the moderates is a better strategy right now. Too many of them are clogging the race. Maybe Amy and Bloomberg will drop out after Nevada.

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Pete is getting bigger crowds recently. I'm going on a limb say after super Tuesday Pete is going to be clear 2nd place candidate and the alternative to Bernie.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Denmark has 1.3 million LESS people than greater Houston. When people in this country that are making 43k are willing to pay 45% income tax let me know.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

they are getting bigger. I can even see a person from a minority group if I squint hard enough. All kidding aside the only way Pete is going to get the nomination is if he can get enough of the black and Hispanic vote. On both accounts Biden and Sanders has him beat.

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

They are already paying that much if not more if you are including healthcare and education.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Join the military...free healthcare and GI bill.

Give something to get something.

16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I take it you are against universal healthcare?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe he will grab someone by the penis?

DD

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not really.

My problem is the proposals that pretend that the wealthy can foot the bill. The top tax brackets in countries similar to ours but with universal healtcare come down and smack people that are considered middle class in the US. Too many medicare for all candidates are trying to pretend the wealthy are going to pay their "fair share" and that will do it. People aren't being told the truth and that is my biggest problem. If you tell someone that any income from 54k to 150k is going to be taxed at 40% like in the UK we will see how far that goes in this country. 160 million have subsidized healthcare through their employer. Will they prefer that with their current plan or a 16-18% increase in their income taxes with medicare for all... but in reality it probably even needs to be a bigger number because we can't/won't do it as efficiently as the British at an average cost of 2900 pounds per person for healthcare.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Btw it is not only the wealthy but companies that should help pay for universal healthcare. How much does the average person pay for healthcare now? 10k or more I bet. How much of a percentage of their income is that? Also even with insurance there is deductibles and wait times waiting for approvals from their plans. How many bankrupts are caused by illness even with families that have coverage?

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Pete is the heart attack option....