1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Jeff Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 17, 2020.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Exactly! If we were relying on him to play starter's minutes, to be a wing player, or to be a go-to scoring option, I would have tremendous reservations. However...he is our backup center now and he is most likely the 5th scoring option on the floor every time he enters the game. In a small-ball lineup, currently, there is no better option at the 5 on this team and there hasn't been one all year. He brings something to the team with his size and ability that we haven't had in quite some time.

#321 vator, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green was signed to play the 5 for us, this was not happenstance.

TEXNIFICENT and sirjesse like this.
  4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I liked what I saw last night from him. I've always wanted us to have a "big" that can shoot and attack the rim. Green fits that need. I don't expect him to shoot 3s like that all the time, but if he is off he has the ability to attack off the dribble. We are on our way.....

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

example of nit-picking right there...

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'm starting to like our pieces. If they can be average defensively, breakeven on the boards & make shots it will be scary for some LA folks.

D-rock likes this.
  7. vator

Nah buddy...check my post history from the day Jeff Green was released 2 months ago prior to us even waiving Gary Clark. I said he would be a huge upgrade instantly. I’ve been a huge advocate of brining him in day 1 and glad we FINALLY brought him in. Overdue addition in my opinion to be honest. I like what he brings offensively, but that being said, for this team to reach its full potential he is going to need to also lock in defensively. He has the physical ability to do so and has done it in spurts during his career. Playing undersized, we have to be some dogs out there on the court.

D-rock likes this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

Look I didn’t make much of this signing, I was more excited about DMC. But Morey might’ve just done something with this one. He adds another dimension to our #variance.

Relativist, amaru and D-rock like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The best thing is Green doesnt have to bring it every night .

His usual weakness is that he is an on/off player right ? Like when he looks engaged he looks good , otherwise doo doo ... at least thats what ive heard.

With us he can lazily jog down the floor into an open 3 pointer, or simply stay spaced and that helps the offense. When he does have energy his slashing ability and speed can be a mismatch. He might get better as he plays more here, but an inconsistent bench guy ( playoff level) isnt awful. We needed regular season bodies. GS is trash , but if we make our 3's we can blowout lots of teams. Green and DMC in our second/cleanup unit is gonna allow for us to give guys more rest and put teams away ( hopefully)

Now in the event we arent making our 3's we have to hope green can play good enough defense for MDA to feel comfortable giving PJ / house/ covington a break. Maybe he will try thabo in that situation.

remember gordon should come back soonish too

we truly have depth now. WE just have to get everyone on the same page . There are plenty of players who can soak up minutes, we should be able to make it work.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Well let's give him a few games to see how his defense is. And let's be honest with it, has he EVER been a lock down defender? It would be a little unfair to ask him to come to us and all of a sudden be Mutumbo like defending the paint as a 5. I think having PJ, RoCo and Carroll on the floor together at times will help us with the D we need to be successful. I don't believe Green will be that defensive presence for us. He is a scorer first. I just want him to be solid on D most of the time.

D-rock and vator like this.
  11. vator

Not saying he needs to lockdown defensively. I’m saying he needs to play with more energy and effort defensively. For example think of engaged James Harden that gives multiple effort defensively and the James Harden that only gives initial effort and if he’s beat, he appears to be thinking oh well, I’ll just get it back on the other end offensively. Just be solid. He can do it. I’ve seen him do it.

Hopefully we develop a culture like we did in 2017. It became an expectation when you were on the court to attempt to defend at a high level and they did.

Relativist and D-rock like this.
  12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

It probably is, but I saw the same thing. Loved what he brought on offense, but he needs to play like he’s the big on defense. Contesting shots at the rim, scrambling for loose balls. He was playing defense like his job was secured. Everyone knows he can score, we need him to hit the other side of the ball hard!

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

He did it when with the Cavs in playoffs. All the way to the finals, Green was their best all round defender.

Patience and vator like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

people expecting jeff green to be playing with a ton of visible energy and be some rim protector are kidding themselves. he's never been that type of player so you shouldn't even be expecting it. if JG, plays like he did last night he's going to be just fine. a lot of that was gravy bc he won't be shooting like that every night. he just showed he has plenty in the tank left to help the rockets. and that's more than ok

clutchdabear, saleem and amaru like this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

Hell no! If Green doesn’t play like a borderline all star then Morey is a bad GM for signing him to the 10 day contract!!! :mad:

snowconeman22 and D-rock like this.
  16. vator

Who said anything about being a rim protector? Giving a little more effort on defense is not too much to ask for when he has shown that he can do it. I think he will do it with a little more understanding of where he needs to be positionally. I was just making an observation of what I felt he could improve going forward. I praised everything else he did offensively and he did exactly what I said he could do when he was first waived. Knockdown 3 pointers, attack the basket and finish above the rim.

ElPigto and D-rock like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

one of the posts above did. people can literally say play with more effort on defense to every single player in the league outside of like bev etc who can't do much outside of that. guys like Jeff Green are who they are for better or worse. if they don't fit then they shouldn't be on the team. he's a fit

18. magichat281

magichat281 Member

No major injuries?? and?

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Better rim protector than. PJ, but not as good defending low post.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey finally found a backup center MDA would play.

If this small ball thing works, 90% of the NBA will consist of players 6'6-6'9 5 years from now. Anyone out of this range will be considered a freak.