1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s an aspect of mob mentality here where everyone is throwing rocks at the Astros and even if you’re guilty as well you’re going to throw rocks. Because if you don’t, you could get turned on as well.

2. lw17

lw17 Member

Nah, the hate will continue...........That's people for you. Nothing will satisfy imbecile, ignorant fans from other teams who would never believe their teams don't cheat either. I just hope no nutcase from NY,Boston, or L.A. tries physically harming an Astro.

Houstunna, RayRay10 and jklb like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They didn’t cheat during the world series. He’s not vacating the title. In fact unless some additional facts come to light that show Houston cheated beyond what was in the report, I expect the narrative from Manfred to focus on moving forward.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Mr. Space City

Home games are gonna be fun this year.

I suspect it's gonnnabe a lot of fights with opposing fans in the stadium and parking lot

lw17, cmoak1982, astros123 and 2 others like this.
  5. jtexan

jtexan Member

What I meant was the backlish that he and MLB are getting. You are correct though, the backlash for the Astros will never stop.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah they do... I live outside Houston. I have some people joke about it but the overwhelming majority do not care and say the Astros were just the team that got caught.

There is a very vocal minority of fans, but most people just don’t care. The Astros won the World Series and that won’t change.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

So instead of embracing technology, like so many other sports have, let's run away from it. Such ass-backwards thinking, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a sport so resistant to change.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It really is shocking just how little control Manfred has over the media in his sport.

This isn't communist China, he can't just silence everybody, but he should be able to at least get them in line. If he truly wants to keep it quiet, allowing these guys to crucify the Astros multiple times a day really isn't the way to go about it. Literally every time an Astro says anything, it's just another opportunity to write a smear piece. Really they don't even need somebody to talk, saying nothing is ripe for a smear piece as well.

Maybe they had an arrangement with Crane, but there's no way the Astros players we're ever gonna be OK having to hear this crap constantly. One can only take so much before they start snapping back.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

And I hope like hell all 107 wins last year were legit. Report says they were. But were they? Only the players know.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No chance that happens. He said it himself. If you take away the 2017 title, do you have to go back and investigate every season? What about teams with steroid users? People will stop caring about this as soon as something else comes along.

11. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Cancel culture, social media attention w**** faux outrage, it’s the shiit times we live in these days

clutchdabear, lw17, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Crane trusted the commissioner that a gag order would work. It hasn’t and when it comes to the players, he has little true control. Controlling people and information is harder than ever.

I don’t know this for a fact, but I strongly suspect that the commissioner is afraid to limit or influence their own media because they fear one or more filing suit or causing absolute hell for MLB.

In the last 10 years MLB has decided to try and promote a group of self righteous reporters. They are paying the price now. Jeff Passan has always been a complete attention w****, even with his Hall of Fame vote and bullshit crusades... but a lot of these other reporters have been allowed to follow suit. Their level of arrogance is amazing, they believe they are advocates that decide what the story is and how it should be interpreted and presented. There are no checks. They decide what the punishment should and shouldn’t be. They no longer report .... now everything is their opinion and it need not be balanced or fair or grounded in reality.

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and Htown Stros like this.
  13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah at this point who cares. We’re about to hang another banner at the start of 2021 so who cares...

I truly believe this team is going to come out and destroy the league in 2020. It Correa stays healthy this season watch out.

right1, lw17, jklb and 2 others like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Im getting older and out of my rowdy stage but I’m down to have a go at some of these fans, can’t stand hypocrites, whether they’re ignorant to it or not.

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You’re spot on here - as I mentioned in my previous post replying to Nick, he can control what the players are saying and he’s done a poor job of that.

16. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

If we are going to be crucified, might as well rehire hinch at end of the year.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Sounds like when people using steroids were bashing others who were getting caught.

clutchdabear and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Part of me thinks there is a good chance that happens. We signed a 70 year old to a one year deal...

19. Nook

Nook Member

Where all the wins by the Dodgers or Yankees or Nationals above board? We will never know.

It is very hard for me to believe that the Astros would fess up to 2017 and not 2019... it also makes sense they didn’t cheat because Beltran and Cora were gone. You should be asking how many other teams did Beltran help cheat? Why were several teams convinced the Dodgers were using video to cheat?

Also FWIW cheating is very common in baseball. There are 24-25 guys on a team all looking for an advantage individually and in some cases as a team. The managers and coaches are ex players. The front office has a lot of pressure on them. Cheating in baseball is extremely easy. You could question every single World Series.

A number of pitchers have used illegal substances in the playoffs and World Series.

Bobby Valentine put it best when he said the Astros had bad luck and that he wouldn’t have stopped the cheating.

Hearing Mr. Greenie Hank Aaron complain was rather humorous.... I guess he figures no one will discuss his drug usage.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Couple Sunday musings:

1. where will the Correa statue go?

2. I hope this incident brings our core together, even more so than before. You can tell Correa absolutely adores Altuve. Hopefully we can swing something where we can keep all these core guys together for the long haul. Get it done, Crane. At a certain point, it becomes personal, and it’s likely personal for everyone still left from the 2017 team. I think there’s a real brotherhood among our team. Money obviously talks...but maybe there’s an additional incentive now for everyone to stay in H (and for Crane saying ”to hell with it...let’s go”)

mikol13, right1, jklb and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.