1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you first realize this was a sinking ship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, Feb 11, 2020.

1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Weird, I thought Ariza got like a 16,000,000 contract from Phoenix? Did I just imagine that?

2. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

And the other morons who always bring up Luc??? He was, is, done! So we should have signed Ariza to 15/16 mil, and Luc to what? How are we better? We've gotta let this one go.....Luc broke down, Ariza was is aging, I've not been impressed with him at all this year. If you want to complain about LTS, whatever man, it's not my money...If you're a season ticket holder, then I get it, you have a lot invested. But those of us that don't are just being drama queens. THIS team is going to be fun to watch!

randerson, Patience, Kevooooo and 3 others like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

looks like they grabbed a couple of spoons to usher the water out, not gonna stop the ship from sinking unfortunately. I just wish we had a better FO..ya know??

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

How much did we offer Ariza? I can’t imagine he would have stayed for a long term contract at 10~/yr when he could go play 1 year for 15 and still be in good shape for a decent multi year contract after.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah, people (here and in the media) keep mentioning how we lost Luc as if there were another option. The guy can’t play anymore. We might as well complain how it hurts that we don’t have Shane Battier anymore.

#85 Patience, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Rustyrig likes this.
  6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The Lakers v. Rockets game was pretty much a done deal for capeala. The January game won by Lakers.

Time and Time again LeBron would set up capeala to either get drove on after capeala got switched onto LeBron or capeala was getting dunked on by howard after LeBron would find Howard on a dive to the bucket.

Rockets knew LeBron is too smart and too fundamentally sound not to have been able exploit that situation in the playoffs!!!

#86 smoothie_king, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    randerson likes this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't believe in the sinking ship analogy at all.

However, truth be told I had a gut feeling Morey missed his once in decade opportunity the day Paul George was traded to the Pacers. I think that was the kind of move Morey had been working on for years quietly flipping assets after we got Harden in 2012.

I think Morey should have gone all-in even if the chances were tilted in favor of George possibly leaving. Perhaps, like Westbrook and Presti were able to convince George to stay, Harden and Morey could have done the same.

Look at what the Rockets already gave up in the Chris Paul trade...

Beverley
    Lou
    Montrezl
    2018 first round pick

Add...
    + Capela
    + 2020 first round pick

I believe that would have been a hard deal for Pacers to pass up. Oladipo was still a project and Sabonis was an unknown quantity. Morey could have worked his magic if he was willing to part with all his assets.

The lineup to go up against the Warriors Hamptons Five would be...

Harden
    Gordon
    George
    Ariza
    Tucker

That's basically a premium version of the current small ball lineup we are trying to put out on the floor. It's Harden and athletic wings everywhere. We could have guarded Warriors with elite defenders at every position.

Like I said, this was the move to make if Rockets were sold on going all-in for one season since Paul turned out to be one-and-done anyway. I know this is a lot of revisionist stuff, but it was obvious after losing to the Spurs in the playoffs, Rockets needed an elite wing, not another point guard.

randerson likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Ya and so? How did going the cheaper route with Ennis work out for us? Or hell even just moving Eric G to the starting lineup. It depleted our bench. If Ariza nets us Oubre half way through the season it would have still been worth it. When your Super star is in his prime and is arguably one of the top players in the league then you spend. If not don't waste his time or the fans. League pass is not cheap!

BigBum likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It happened in the summer of 2014. We cut Robert Covington while wasted a roster spot on Joey Dorsey.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That damn Tilman has been doing it for 6 years.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He learned from the best! Mr. Florida Les. I'm surprised he wanted to move the team to Louisville not FL.

12. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Yes this thread is a shambles but for the love of all things Yao.

Can we stop pointing to not signing Ariza as the downfall of this team? The Suns offered him wayyyyyy more than he was worth, and without a doubt if he was willing to take a a $10m per contract he would probably still be here (not hating on the dude get that $$).
    If we paid him at this point the best he would be would be a larger contract we could move, and everyone would be complaining that he was getting paid too much and averaging 6 points a game.

I love Ariza, I really do, but people need to get over us letting him go.

Rustyrig likes this.
  13. HookemHorns1250

The people complaining that we didn't resign Ariza are the same people that would have lost their freaking minds if we overpaid him. They want a reason to blame the FO.

14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Carmelo not staying with the team long enough to see a rockets playoff series was stupid.

The trading of Capeala for a bench player was a move that I thought cleared the way for hartenstein!?!?!

Glad to see far"weed" gone and Gerald Greene's time was up due to the lack of dunks!

I didn't think Ryan Anderson, Nene, or sefolosha would clear training camp waivers'!

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Rockets have 2 of the most explosive players in the league, thing is they've drop a few games this year because they have some b2b, they had people in and out of the lineup not healthy. I think beating some teams just didnt work out because the real lack of depth when harden or westbrook was not on the court, and its basicly a brand new team to paul crew, and needs still to be formed over a full season. All this doesnt matter in a 5-7 game series.

Thing is to atleast beat out utah for the 4th seed. If it comes down to 2nd round vs Lakers. And the Nuggets and clippers go at it. If the rockets can get to 7 games with the Lakers, anything is possible. It would be a huge upset, but still you cant really say hey Lakers all the way, because you have 2 explosive players in westbrook and harden that can beat the lakers on there home floor and im sure win if possible.

I like the chances with the clippers, as well after the momentum if houston can beat Lakers in 7. Rockets are a really good team, nothing should be taken to them as a measure to success, because the rockets have been great with Harden for years. Its just the next level they have trouble getting to, and the greatest team ever assembled was in there way for years...

backwardhead likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

As many have said , the first domino was Ariza .... They had his bird rights and no reasonable way to replace his productivity if they let him walk aside from the veteran minimum.

While financially that decision wasn't completely indefensible , it took a major pieces away from a 65 win team and took two years , a first round pick and a quality big man to finally replace him.

The next domino was Ryno's contract being dumped - again not indefensible in a purely financial way but stripped the team of a lot of assets and financial flexibility going forward.

That same year they failed to spend the MLE on a quality player , most of it rotting on the vine (only what they used on Hartenstein) while trying to spin it as they were waiting on the buyout market where they didnt use it.

The light really came on for me when they dumped Knight , Chriss and Ennis along with first and second round picks and only netted Shumpert in return and then let his bird rights expire when they could have created what amounted to an inflated one year deal for salary matching purposes to improve a team that had a real shot at winning it all. That was disappointing as hell.

Then when they didn't expand the Westbrook deal , didn't use the MLE again .... and have done everything they can to stay out of the tax with two former MVP's on the roster .... man its tough to take. You don't get many opportunities to win championships and Ferntits has pissed away every asset that could have improved a contender.

D-rock and Space Ghost like this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

When they let go of Ty Lawson, Rockets legend.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

AKA "when did you stop beating your wife?"

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

OP's avatar has really worked out well for him.

sirbaihu and hakeem94 like this.
  20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

People wanted the 2017 Ariza and Luc, not the currently overpaid and injured one.

That being said losing key players and completely whiffing on their replacements was the real issue that off-season.

D-rock likes this.