1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets go ALL IN and trade for Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 6, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Westbrook has been on a tear and I’d have to say if we are going to get THIS Westbrook the entire time then it’s hard to continue to be too upset about the deal......BUT doesn’t change these facts for the season on the whole.

Paul
    Win shares : 7.1
    Win shares per 48 : .198
    Wins above replacement: 5.7

Westbrook
    Win shares : 3.6
    Win shares per 48 : .106
    Wins above replacement: 1.8

Don’t get it twisted and act like Paul isn’t out here still being a HIGHLY effective winning player. Can’t always get caught up in flashy counting stats and say case closed Westbrook is way better.

There is still plenty of LEGIT reason to dislike the deal. For me personally his recent play is slowly bringing me around on the trade.

HP3, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What Chris Paul does during the season is irrelevant. Rockets are purely judged on playoff success. Before CP3 arrived in Houston he had never played in the western conference finals series.

Another thing. In OKC he has full reign of that offense with no pressure or expectations to do anything great for the team. OKC accepted that before the season began. With that being the case his numbers should be better seeing that he is playing alongside a bunch of young B type players. Westbrook and Harden are on the same team working to figure things out.

It’s clear as day that right now the trade was worth it for Houston. There’s 30 plus more games CP3 gotta play and stay healthy. When he was here he used Harden to take breaks throughout the season then didn’t really show up till game 6 of the Warriors playoff series.

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Westbrook is finally doing what he's good at.

Make no mistake, though. It was a very steep price the team will have to pay for the next half a decade to essentially go from CP3 + Capela to Westbrook + Covington.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

People really underestimate Galinari. It almost got the Clippers to the playoffs last season. Chris Paul is doing well in OKC, but we need someone who can take over when Harden rests even when it's on the court. Our offense is better this season than last, we just need to figure out the defense.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Should another Houston-based sports team get another Westbrook? :D

#HoustonMonopolyOnWestbrook

D-rock likes this.
  6. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

You're absolutely right. We probably would not be seeing the version of CP3 that we're currently seeing in OKC now because he would not have full reign of our offense with Harden as top dog.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Don’t get me wrong. I hated that CP3 didn’t have full reign here because I like smart/efficient play and leadership. He just got hurt a lot and Harden got on a serious roll with scoring and carrying the team. It sucks that OKC is getting more out of CP3 then we did last season.

D-rock likes this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

What they do during the season is very relevant. Why would it not be?

Again with the lunacy when comparing these two guys. Some of y’all will reimagine history and come up with the wildest ideas to make sure this trade is a win for Houston and Westbrook.

It’s ok that Paul has been a more impactful player to winning thus far. You don’t have to make all these excuses. Westbrook was a joke the first 25-30 games of the season. That matters. He has turned it around big time, that also matters.

And can we stop with this Paul’s numbers in the winning stats should be better because of his situation garbage?

No. Westbrook SHOULD have better winning numbers. He’s a younger player on a better team. They have the ball in there hands almost the exact same amount of time per game. Westbrook’s usage rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Paul’s. So let’s stop with the weird and incorrect notion that Paul has some advantage to producing better in these winning stats. He doesn’t. At all. To suggest otherwise is just a misunderstanding of how these stats are formulated.

Weirdly some of y’all want to stamp this as a win right here right now. But when any evidence that clearly shows that Paul has been superior than its...well we have to wait and see how Paul holds up. Can’t have it both ways.

Westbrook has shown an AMAZING turn around. It’s still ok to be skeptical about the trade. Like I said Im coming around, but there’s still a very long way to go before a winner in this deal can be cemented.

YOLO, BallaDoc, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

I think it's difficult to compare his situation in OKC to his situation in the Rockets because of the varying talent levels of each respective team. We all know that CP3 is one of the greatest all time with the ball in his hands, and even if he was a perfect second banana to Harden that one magical season, he was always still gonna be slightly limited due to that fact. That is why I believe OKC is getting much more out of CP3 this season than we did last season, and of course health as well plays a part.

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

What are advanced stats the last 15 games since Capela went out and Rockets committed to small ball?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree, but good luck with that from Morey. That is his major flaw, that he can never put enough pieces with a couple of stars. Yet, he is treated as a deity in Houston. Playoff spoiler....Harden and Westbrook will drop a bit in effectiveness in the playoffs due to small ball fatigue and House (and friends) won’t have enough to bail us out in 7 game series against Clips or Lakers. Don’t worry, CP3 will exit (most likely with injury) just as early, if not earlier, than us. OKC is first round fodder.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Speaking of halitosis...

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Besides Bob Myers, Morey has been the best GM in the Western Conference since Golden State became good, and the Rockets have been one of the best teams in the NBA since acquiring Harden. Going by your logic, every other western conference GM deserves to be fired since their major flaw is apparently not being able to beat one of the best teams in NBA history, in Golden State.

Even Ujiri, as revered as he is now for Toronto's championship run, got lucky because of the Durant and Thompson injuries. I very much doubt Toronto wins if both teams were completely healthy.

It sure is easy to say Morey is doing a bad job, but name one other available GM that you would replace him with. Go ahead - I'll wait.

D-rock, hakeem94 and rockbox like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I live in Toronto and I hate to give the Raps any credit, but I’ve got to call it like it is: Ujiri absolutely crushed it last year. Yes they probably would have lost to a healthy Golden State, but they were a terrific regular season team and beat two very decent opponents in Philly and Milwaukee (whom I’m not sure we could have even though I believe we could have beaten the Raps; different match ups).

Raps didn’t win because of Kawhi, Raps won because they fielded a team with at least 8 guys in the rotation that could get buckets (Lowry Fred DGreen Powell Kawhi Siakam Ibaka Gasol). Most of those guys can put the ball on the floor and make plays on their own (I’m not saying they’re all elite playmakers, but not completely one dimensional offensive players a la PJ).

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Ujiri deserves to be considered the top GM right now. Not even diving into the fact that his team is still killing it despite injuries and with undrafted players looking like legit players (Davis and Boucher) and players that didn’t pan out elsewhere Rondae Hollis Jefferson.

15. Mr. Space City

If Chris Paul's hamstring doesn't go out, the perception of Morey is a lot different.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Raps were epitome of positionless basketball.

More than half of entire roster was filled 6'8+ 3-D wings.

17. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The offense is literally significantly worse.

18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Westbrook’s defense is still ass. Offensively he is coming in though.

CP3 is actually playing worse defense than last year, and it might be keeping him healthy. He hasn’t been on the injury report once.

it’s a theory. He’s still better defensively than Westbrook but he’s more average or decent than borderline elite he was in Houston.

but either way he is clearly better than Westbrook. He’s always been better literally his entire career.

OKC with CP3 on the court: +5.1

HOU with Westbrook on the court: +3.8

that’s insane. No one would’ve ever thought CP3 was so much better he’d have OKC at a higher ceiling than Houston.

the CP3/Schroeder/Gallo lineups are literally the best in the NBA statistically.

CP3 is much better at basketball.

19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

We are literally averaging more points than last season and still tweaking the pieces

D-rock likes this.
  20. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

CP3 is better all around but no one attacks like Russ. Its all about who fits better in our system not a straight up comparison

D-rock likes this.