1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you ever seen someone that can get to rim with this kind of speed/athleticism like westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MJ & Mad Max

#101 Plowman, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    BamBam and daywalker02 like this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

GTFO LOF!!!

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Charlie Ward ran for 500 yards in his junior year. How many unathletic football players do that? Basketball players is the only sport where you have to be a freak of nature to play at the professional level.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

80s Jordan immediately came to mind.

You also have to account for where the defenders are. In our spread-out system, it is easier to get to the rim.

BaselineFade and Richie_Rich like this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

not exactly. the difference in basketball is you need to be skilled in some area with the ball. every person in the nba is not a freak of nature athletically.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

@fchowd0311
    does WB average most points on drives this season for the rockets?

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

According to this the only one missing from cf is john wall

Power and speed is what it is..

The correct closest answer is a younger lebron. Drose or francis not the same power. A young kobe perhaps.

Cf confirming my eye test that I havent really ever seen a dude like this.pretty fun folks!

good one

hakeem94, randerson and D-rock like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

some of yall really didn't know what prime mvp drose was. dude was every bit as powerful and a blur bc it was pretty much unmatched. that ended up becoming his downfall

xaos likes this.
  10. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Drose was good but the way Westbrook looks in the fast break is insane. Aesthetics on Westbrook has me like :eek:

IBTL and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would be sweet if Rockets add another guy or two that can/willing to run as hard as Westbrook.

IBTL likes this.
  12. payaso

payaso Member

If I follow the OP's original intent, I think he was referring to players in the current day, not retired players or veteran players from their prime.
    If you listen to the Ringer crew, in a direct comparison to WB, they claim that guy is Zach LaVine in terms of speed getting to the cup.
    It's hard to find in-game highlights of this but is there any agreement?

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Russell Westbrook. I don't think there is another player in the planet that has close to Flash speed. Mad Max was quick, but not to where when Brodie gets on the run, no one on earth is going to catch him and no one is going to get in his way. He is faster than most 20 year old ballers. I love the way he plays, fast and fast. Faster than our hammy guy.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

As far as getting from one side of the floor to the other...... Westbrook is in a group with John Wall, Rod Strickland, Dwayne Wade and Clyde Drexler and Dr. J and Derrick Rose and Jason Williams. Those guys could get from basket to basket in nothing flat.

As far as a first step? Michael Jordan has the best first step I have ever seen. Alan Iverson and Kevin Johnson also had incredible first steps. Wade and Harden have under rated first steps.

As far as having strength and explosiveness together..... Shawn Kemp, Cedric Ceballos, Dominique Wilkins, Michael Jordan, Dwayne Wade, Tracy McGrady and Antonio McDyess come to mind.

There have been some fast and explosive point guards in the fast...... Rod Strickland, Steve Francis, Rob Williams and Michael Ray Richardson.

Guys that are point guards and are....... fast, explosive and strong are very rare...... Wall is the fastest point guard I have ever seen but not quite as explosive as Westbrook......... Rose was as strong as Westbrook and explosive, but not as fast.......

I am waiting for the point guard as explosive as Westbrook/Wall that can also shoot...... that player will be a top 5 player all time.

15. defyoppression

Haven’t seen him play much but De’aaron Fox kind of reminds me of wb

16. vick

vick Member

I have been watching NBA since the 50s. No one. Plus Westbrook can do it the entire game.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

My intent was anyone ive ever seen..
    I missed dr j but his height and athleticism in highlights seems pretty comparable .
    Kevin johnson is a good one.

Still though wb can dribble as good as any.

Its a combo of lebrons bull rush and power with uncomparable speed. Drose francis wade all great first step not near the speed of westbrook.

Basically westbrook is super special

18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He excels with our spacing...

D-rock likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No one like Westbrook for combined acceleration and leaping. Was even better in his earlier career, including poor spacing teams (Roberson, et al). Spacing helps extend it, but he's always been the best at this ...

Besides, spacing is just a half-court issue. What is usually most eye-popping for me is how he turns a non-fastbreak situation (2 on 4, or 1 on 3 or 1 on 4) into a score out of sheer acceleration combined with the length/heights of his jumps. And it's not just full speed the whole way: He will lull the defense into thinking he's giving up on the layup, then hit the turbo button leaping off one/two accelerating strides as they're backpedaling, in position, yet helpless to stop it.

IBTL, clutchdabear, smp and 1 other person like this.