1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everything's geared more towards next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 9, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm....I wonder why we got Bruno then? Is getting Bruno a win now move? We could have just waived Bell?

Unless Morey really believes he's gonna get playing time...which sounds interesting to me.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe Bruno is in next year's plan since we'll probably have a new coach. I don't agree that DM is gone after this season, which some are saying.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

That certainly is possible.

4. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

You guys haven't figured it out yet? Tillman and Plowman are the same person, check the proof:

[​IMG]

JoeBarelyCares, kjayp, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

I prefer plowman's optimism to alot of other's take.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

4) Morey doesn't feel he has a future here

J Sizzle and Corrosion like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I believe they think he's their small ball 5 .... A bigger version of Tucker.

I have to wonder (doubt) if Morey would have made the deal if MDA didn't sign off on it ....

Really , I see them both gone at seasons end - unfortunately (particularly in the case of Morey). This was such a huge risk .... I cant see them doing it if they had the slightest idea their jobs were safe.

Easy and HP3 like this.
  8. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

If that is the case then we will waste Bruno's prime

ilias likes this.
  9. JackLordsHair66

Agree, we already know they barring a finals appearance, which is highly unlikely, Dantoni is gone and probably is fine with that based on his very likely distantly cool relationship with Tilman. As for Morey, after everything gets happened with the Hong Kong/China/league deal and hows it severely affected Tillman’s pockets, plus the level of intrusiveness they Tilman seems to have in trade/contract negotiations, personnel, and tax issues I think Morey is probably personally done with all his garbage.its not like he would t have a job offer 5 mins after he left the Rockets.

So they figured wtf lets go all in with this concept of small ball and see if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat... not gonna happen, hate to be so negative but there just isn’t a realistic scenario I can see where this team suddenly becomes a juggernaut due to the this small ball idea. Just don’t have the best roster for it and this was a shot in the dark ... rough times are coming for this team !!

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We're in complete agreement here ....

Tho personnel wise , I think they are close to having the right guys for small ball to work - they are missing one piece.

They need a 4 that can defend opposing bigs and not get in the way / be a liability on offense , basically a bigger version of Tucker.

This really is a unique roster ...

D-rock likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They need to do a better job surrounding Bruno with talent who can compete. The likes of Harden and Westbrook aren't gonna cut it.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm sure we'd all prefer to have that optimism .... but the optics of this points in the opposite direction.

Tilman appears to be risk averse .... do you think he signed off on this mad experiment that is so high risk ? I find that highly unlikely.

Would Morey take such a risk under normal circumstances ? The China mess isn't really in the rear view mirror - not when it cost the league , owners and players so much money. Then you have Tilman meddling in personnel decisions and trades , the constant throwing away of assets to duck the tax line which is just so anti-Morey.

What about MDA ? I see this as him riding off into the proverbial sunset , a last hurrah ... lets see if my crazy experiment works on the way out the door. Nothing to lose if I'm calling it quits after this season and he is one of the oldest head coaches in the league.

Yeah , I wish I could be more optimistic about the whole situation - We have two former MVP's on the team and a pretty solid group around them , even if it is missing a piece or two .... but this is the Rockets , the team everyone outside of Houston hates - and the league seems to screw at every opportunity.
    Just take last night for example - the shot clock not working while the Jazz have the ball .... the Rockets have to defend a 35 second possession. That phantom foul on Covington the other night that MDA challenged - he never touched AD , thought for sure that was getting overturned .... Nene's contract .... all the calls that went against them against GSW are well documented - this team is playing 5 on 8.

HP3 likes this.
  13. JackLordsHair66

Good analysis of the situation, it’s juts too glaringly obvious at this point. I’m unfortunately not the most optimistic person (not quite a fatalist but close in many instances) and I juts can’t see any of this ending well, especially to future for this team beyond the end of this year. If I was betting man I would bet a whole lot on both Mike and Morey being gone, and add one of Russ and or Harden to that list by end of next year. Once Moreynis gone this thing is going to surely on the personnel front badly, hence why I think Russ or Harden will request a trade, we know PJ isn’t likely to return either ... future just looks bleak AF !

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be clear, I'm not writing off this year. Au contraire...As others have said, we've had a stretch where we've beaten LA and NO, while predictably losing a shorthanded back to back at Phoenix, and a controversial nail biter against Utah (-EG).James has definitely been playing hurt over the last month...and Russ has gotten healthy, while adjusting his game.(to incredible heights) We have the additions of RoCo and Bruno, along with whatever we get via buyout.You need to give it time...For crying out loud, as is, we're the fourth choice in Vegas at the moment.

And, I have no clue as to why so many of you don't see us as being among the best teams in the League over the next few years with James/Russ+. With room to maneuver, and a healthy team, we're looking good.

Daryl isn't going anywhere.

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Nobody has a future when the business model involves pinching pennies.

they more important point is a franchise that relies on high value customers doesn’t have a future either when cost cutting measures are implemented.

Morey is doing exactly what you would expect of MIT graduates. Recognizing the fall before it happens, and maximizing his incentives before the regular folk realize it.

16. riko

riko Member

The next two years are huge. Harden will still be s top 3 or 5 player and Russ continue his top 10 play but the issue will ultimately come down to Tillman. Will he he go full on in and spend?

17. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I do feel Morey will probably be blackballed out of the league entirely if he does leave the Rockets. It's a shame but no owner will want to risk losing China if it means hiring him.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have no room to maneuver., and haven't been fully healthy yet this season. They are basically out of picks and the roster salary has 3 guys making 100 million a season along with minimum or near minimum contracts. Unless some team decides to give us a stud wing for Gordon, it's hard to imagine a way we can upgrade. Maybe some team will be dumb enough to give us a starter and a FRP for Covington but I doubt it. PJ is probably going to ask for more money as well. Anything Morey does to give this team an edge, other teams tend to copy and in many cases, do it better.

My biggest concern is Golden State, Tillman won't want to do anything next year at the trade deadline when the Warriors are 45-5. The Warriors will be working with a blank check this offseason. Wiggins is a top 20 scorer and he's got salary to match, a potential 1 pick in 2020, and the Wolves pick in 2021. Heck Golden State doesn't even need a superstar, maybe the Wolves pick and Wiggins can get you a player like Beal or Heild. Then GS drafts Edwards or Wiseman and it's a wrap. Or they could just trade all their picks and Wiggins if Giannis wants to pull a KD. All that doesn't even consider all the ring chasers running to one of the LA teams.

I still have faith because I'm loyal to our team, but Tilman basically closed the door of opportunity these last two trade deadlines by not only not going into the LT, but dumping assets to avoid it. Sorry, for the rant Plow, but am I missing something? What are you seeing that I'm not?

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not a Bay Area fan but GSW is just a better run organization in the last decade, it's not making me feel good to admit that but the results are much better.

Get the picks in Steph, Klay, Draymond......

Spurs tanked to get Duncan, you just need 1 or 2 seasons to get it done efficiently and fast.

I mean Duncan on a rookie contract? That is crazy insane.

You have to plan for long term and way in advance.