1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rugby - Houston Sabercats 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Wooderson, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Sabercats played their first preseason game of the 2020 season versus the visiting Tasman Mako. The home team fell 29-19, but it was an exciting match and a good showing for things to come this year.

The overall experience of the match was quite fun for my family. The tickets were very reasonable, and getting to AVEVA Stadium is not bad as far as drives in Houston go. It is located on 288 South between Airport and Almeda-Genoa (just north of Sam Houston Tollway). The physical address is Kirby Drive, so I guess these guys are the other boys down there on Kirby.

Parking is $10 - cash only. There was tailgating going on before the game which was a fun surprise. This was a preseason game, and they are clearly working out some preseason issues with the presentation, such as the annoucer repeatedly referring to the visiting team as the Takos (tacos), which may be accurate for all I know, but it was quite the source of amusement where I was sitting.

After the match both teams walked around the field for high-fives and to thank the fans for showing up.

Next up is a match against the NOLA Gold this Saturday, January 25th. This is also a preseason match and the regular season starts on February 8th versus the Colorado Raptors.

2. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

3. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Oof...the second preseason match of 2020 did not end well for the home team. The Sabercats fell to the NOLA Gold 47-12.

The Sabercats will open their regular season at home against the Colorado Raptors on February 8th at 11:00 AM at AVEVA Stadium.

(just for the record - I do not work for the Sabercats, I am just excited about Rugby getting some run in my home town!)

4. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

With a 21-12 victory, the SaberCats are 1-0 after the season debut!

Next game - Old Glory DC at Houston, Saturday February 22nd.

Beavis Stiffler likes this.