1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman is not Cheap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Feb 7, 2020.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So, as you may have not noticed, I have not taken well to this ownership group. I wrote this up last night 1.) to vent 2.) to consolidate all the little pieces of evidence we have so far in his tenure.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1939179

But one of the posters in that thread noted this new article this morning:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/tillman-fertitta-isnt-cheap-11438546

Serious question, is this dude running a disinformation campaign? We keep getting all these media pieces about him willing to spend, not cheap, etc. etc. Seems fishy to me and right in line with what I would expect from him.

#1 larsv8, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    LosPollosHermanos and da_juice like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You think cheap ass Tilman is gonna hire someone for THAT?

3. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Smart guy to retain Morey.

topfive likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fern t*** broke AF.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes. His image is everything to him. Nobody else cares about it.

JVL713 likes this.
  6. bmd

bmd Member

People were calling the Astros owner, Jim Crane, cheap too because fans wanted him to spend. Jim kept saying they will spend when the time is right and if there is a free agent worth spending on, he’ll do it.

Fans didn’t believe him and still kept calling him cheap.

I get the same exact vibe with this owner. He’s not lying when he says he will go into the tax if there is a move worth going into the tax for. No owner is going to go into the tax for any little thing. But fans don’t believe him and I think just use him as a scapegoat for their frustrations with the team because they don’t like his style and personality. I think he reminds them of Trump.

JW86, jiggyfly, topfive and 3 others like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

not so much cheap, rather poor

@tinman

8. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I have no belief in Tillman

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No Tillman is cheap as f, we dump picks down the toilet to shed salaries and not take back any.

10. vick

vick Member

To be in the media like he is. He is like Trump He wants everyone to think he is kin to Soros.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman is cheap. He's just lucky his cheapness might pay off for him.

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Um....did you mean to post a link to Sean Peendergast's grades for JJ Watt's appearance on SNL? Not sure what that has to do with Tillman or the Rockets, but I tried to scan the article multiple times for some kind of hidden meaning.

Are you trying to say that Tillman is JJ Watt? That would be...really cool...and strange. Has anyone ever seen them together?

13. bmd

bmd Member

You’re acting like Tilman is personally on the hook for paying the luxury tax and he doesn’t want to do it because he’d rather save the money for himself. That’s not how it works.

The Rockets are a business. Team salaries and luxury tax are paid by the revenues the team generates. Tilman isn’t taking money out of the business for personal use. Small market teams can’t afford the luxury tax because their team as a business doesn’t generate enough revenue to pay it. The Warriors, on the other hand, generate a ton of revenue and can afford to pay it.

If the Rockets aren’t going into the tax, it’s because there’s not a good reason to. If it was worth it to do so, they would. Tilman’s pocketbook isn’t personally benefiting like so many here seem to think.

topfive likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Oops

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/tillman-fertitta-isnt-cheap-11438546

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which Clutchfans can say they own the segment for overpriced chain restaurants?

I thought so

Jontro likes this.
  16. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

When will it be the right time to spend? When Harden, Westbrook, and the rest of the team are older and past their prime with no draft picks to use to get other impact players? Sounds like the perfect chance to finally spend some money on a championship run!

Jwise44 likes this.
  17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

you forgot to change your Avatar:eek: b4 post it

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

When crane first bought the team we were tanking .... absolutely no reason to go from 60 mil payroll to 80 .

TIlman inherited a prime Harden ....

Completely different situations. Had Crane bought the team in 2016 and then passed on the verlander trade because he wasn't ready to add salary yet , do you think we would like him very much ?

Richie_Rich, Corrosion and Jwise44 like this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Fine he will go into the tax for the right player. But apparently hes also willing to sell off draft picks to put extra $ in his pocket/get below the tax. Its that 2nd part i dont see how u can defend.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Its just him and his dumb son each with 50 Twitter accounts